Hand over exhaust to diagnose engine running problems

daverclasper

Hi.

I remember many years ago, when I used to take car into garage's if there were problems with poor running, a few of the guys would cover the exhaust with hand.

Any idea what this old school practice is please, as curious if it's helpful?.

Thanks, Dave  

You also get to feel if the condensation on your hand is at all slippery. And as Pete says the smell of the subtle blend of aromatic steam, CO, unburnt fuel, oil and antifreeze (if you're unlucky) tells you a lot if you've smelt enough. 

('smelt' or 'smelled'? I think it's smelt if it's a verb and smelled if it's an adjective, like burnt and burned? ). 

32 minutes ago, ShaunW said:

the smell of the subtle blend of aromatic steam, CO, unburnt fuel, oil and antifreeze

Should be bottled and sold as an after shave. ’Herald Heaven' or 'Vitesse Vitality' or maybe 'GT sex'

28 minutes ago, ShaunW said:

('smelt' or 'smelled'? I think it's smelt if it's a verb and smelled if it's an adjective, like burnt and burned? ). 

No, the two spellings are interchangeable when used as a past-tense-verb, at least in British English. Neither are an adjective (indeed the "adjective" use of burned is actually a past tense verb being hijacked). The "smelt" spelling can also mean other things (a verb to do with metallurgy and a noun for fish) and in American English the "smelled" spelling is by far the more common as a past tense of smell.

45 minutes ago, Chris A said:

Should be bottled and sold as an after shave. ’Herald Heaven' or 'Vitesse Vitality' or maybe 'GT sex'

Thx NonMemeber for the grammar. You say neither is an adjective but how about the two meanings of the sentence "the dog smelled"? 

Yes Chris absolutely. You'd certainly attract the right sort of woman. 

NonMember,

You haven't been here long so we'll let you off, but a number of things aren't allowed on this site. Politics, religion, Brexit and grammar correction, It only leads to trouble and bitterness. Even our language mangler in chief, Mr Lewis must not be corrected. Init?

db

• Thanks 1

That is surely not a correction, but a clarification;)

After all OP had a ? at the end.

Best I don't say too much. Whenever I write a post there is a lot of red underlining that appears magically. Only solved with a right click.

There you go, only 4 on this one.

• Haha 1

Nah,  red lines only work on a rev counter

Typo's on a tablet is ieasy  one reason for getting a blue tooth keyboard for it but no worries it says I need to upgrade the browser  or self destruct  

Theres no clues that help or direct that I can find so I get terninated when using this thing  ....soon

In holiday mode

Pete

10 hours ago, ShaunW said:

Thx NonMemeber for the grammar. You say neither is an adjective but how about the two meanings of the sentence "the dog smelled"?

Well, I could say that they're both verb forms, one active the other passive, but I'd incur the Wrath of Doug if I did...

:P

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

NonMember,

You haven't been here long so we'll let you off, but a number of things aren't allowed on this site. Politics, religion, Brexit and grammar correction, It only leads to trouble and bitterness. Even our language mangler in chief, Mr Lewis must not be corrected. Init?

db

To be fair to NM, I did ask about the grammar. But I totally agree with your guidelines. I'm on another forum for work and it's ridiculous most days and descends into a futile slanging match.