Mk3 Spitfire Apprentice

Blimey, I've never folded mine like that - I do try and keep the side panels flat - but don't undo all those clips. 

As for cover - I would like one, but can't find one at a reasonable price - I do have the front to back cover - which you can zip the middle so you can leave half the car covered. But storing the half that is off, is a pain as it does tend to cause the seat belts to drag a bit (Still work fine.)

Ah yes, that wull nown spull chucker!!

Seriously, you may want to get a tonneau cover. I leave mine cliped to the back, unzip it down the middle and roll up the two halves, stowing it behind the seats. Then its always ready to use and much quicker to put over the seats.

A/F. When I put up the hood, I rarely, unless traveling a higher speeds, clip the hood to the interior support bars. Makes it much quicker to put up or down when needed. My personal record for 'hood up' from a seated position is 75 seconds... it did start raining very hard!!!  Maybe a speed test for the next 'twiddle day' or club shows.

• Haha 1

Never seen the point of locking a soft-top. The crooks either go in over the doors or slash the roof. Slashing the roof costs money for someone. Put loose stuff locked in the boot and let them open the door to find there's nothing to nick. Learned that one watching Bergerac.

2 hours ago, Badwolf said:

Dare I ask for a clue as to who you are with so I can avoid them. Mine is due for renewal in Sept.

I'm with you on the point about locking it. Some people can unpick locks like that in about 3 seconds (probably a dying art) so insurance shouldn't be too suprised it's entered that way. 

I wonder if that insurance company allows you to park with just a tonneau, with its high security zip & press studs?

Lock picking?!!. A big screw driver would do the job a little quicker than 3 seconds.  I used to open my Triumph with my Cortina keys, Triumph locks aren't very good. :lol:

Pleased to have witnessed a moment in history when "hood bags" became "good afternoons" 

db

Hello Matt

Good to see your   car and good to see a new member.  I live in Derby so not far from you.  I do all the work on my Herald myself.  If you would like to meet up I will gladly cast a  new  set of eyes over the car.   Regards

Andrew

20 hours ago, Badwolf said:

Dare I ask for a clue as to who you are with so I can avoid them. Mine is due for renewal in Sept.

You can. Premium Choice. Price is good and up front about the hood and locking. But I will do a compare this year. Also aught to get mine valued properly. It’s not A1 that’s for sure, but I think I’m improving it - I don’t want a concours car that’s for sure as I want a car I can drive and keep enjoying. Until the fuel runs out. (The country, not just my tank?

I used Peter Taylor for my insurance for the first couple of years I had the GT6 - it was on an agreed value basis with the insurer, but the value was pegged lower than the TSSC valuation bands (particularly in the 2nd year), which was my trigger to shift into the realm of TSSC agreed value insurance with Peter James. Better terms too (esp. unlimited mileage and commuting).

Gully

57 minutes ago, Badwolf said:

I believe many of you use Peter James, not only for club cars, but moderns as well.

My brother recently had a heart attack and won't be able to drive for a few months. So he SORNed his modern to get the remaining tax back (He's tight like that :lol:)

The Insurance came up for renewal, the insurer wouldn't do it, "We don't insure SORNed cars". Wonder what would have happened if he'd made a claim while it was insured and SORNed? "Sorry you're not insured"? 

Brother has a 1500 Spitfire SORNed and insured with Peter James, so off to PJ "Will you insure my SORNed modern?" The answer, "Nope".  

His only option is to unSORN it and reinsure normally, however it's now out of MOT so he can't reinsure until it's MOTed but it's not insured to get to the MOT station ...………………………..:wacko:

Doug

Wow. Before mine (Sorned) went back on the road I contacted Footman James. Paid them money and the deal was done, simples (wrong insurance company advert). So who you gonna call? I hate going throught the rigmarole of comparing insurers every 12 months, but if you don't they screw you even more.

On 6/28/2018 at 6:07 PM, Badwolf said:

Yes, its in the handbook. I think the club shop may sell reprints. Its important to bring the back quarter windows out and then fold them in, over the top, to prevent them from cracking.

Spitfire Hood Folding.jpg

Just read this, I'm currently in the process of refurbishing my hood.  What a faff this seems.  Wish I hadn't bothered now and should have gotten a tonnneau and a poncho

It's not that bad, once you've done it a couple of times. Only use the poppers that are needed, especially on the internal support bars (see earlier). Three poppers each side at the side and back, clip the fittings in the windscreen bar and then reasonably watertight. Then unfasten windscreen, poppers, fold back, bring out the side back hood windows, fold in and push down behind the seats. Quick and easy. If you want 'posh', then you can put on a hood bag, do up all the poppers etc... but when it rains... Don't be a slave to it... enjoy it.

I'm sure it won't be too bad. Looking forward to having it, the hardtop is awful. 

Should have said welcome to the forum Maff. They are a very helpful bunch on here.  As a noob to classics myself I've relied on the experience here to help me out a few times