Calling all dial officianados

ShaunW

Now correct me if I'm wrong but something doesn't look right here. The clue, the 'Demist' telltale on the tacho ... on a Spitfire? And a bonus indicator light which is a bit surplus to requirements. I don't think the GT6 had a rear demister did it? They do look like a pair though. 

Has anyone got a photo of what should be in there? 

20180617_161055-1.jpg

I remember those days well Mat, first thing a lad looked at when he got in a car. 

Why the diff ratio printed on the tacho though? Suppose there's no room on the speedo. And if they came as a pair, why not I suppose. Just seems odd coming from the days cars were made from bits out of the parts bin. 

looks like it should be late spit 1500 (later type switchgear by the glimpse of the binnacle)

The issue may be of which gearbox and diff you use. If a 3.89 you could use mkIV spitfire gauges, the rev counter is cable driven and the speedo should be the correct "ratio"

Not sure what will happen if you use a 1500 speedo, they relied on the gearbox speedo drive to get teh ratios right. 1500 rev counter is electronic, but 4 cylinder so no good (possible to convert? with some electronics nouse) But the rev counter out of a 2.5 saloon should match 1500 speedo...

Ultimately choose what you like the look of...but accuracy of both is useful. 

(and you haven't said what the fuel/temp gauge are like......)

The 3.55:1 on the revcounter is nothing to do with a diff ratio  ts the ratio of cable input rev to the needle reading  and is based on the dizzy drive  cable gearing  

Sorry but To think its anything to do with the drive line is a mis assumption.  All the cable drives were 3.55:1

Pete

Indeed, the cable drive rev counters are all interchangeable.... I guess I turn of the engine is just that. 

(speedos different matter, and I think the only one I have ever had that is accurate is the one in my current spitfire, fitted with subaru diff and type 9 gearbox! accurate with 1% compared with gps)

12 hours ago, ShaunW said:

Why the diff ratio printed on the tacho though? Suppose there's no room on the speedo.

As Pete said, the 3.55 has nothing to do with the diff, it's the gearing of the distributor take-off.

And there is plenty of room for the gearing figure on the speedo; it's the 1152 printed just below the decimal place of the trip counter.

1152 turn per mile with 140MPH is used in a GT6 with 3.89 diff and three rail gearbox. If you have a Mk4 1300 Spit then this did have 3 .89 diff and three rail gearbox so no problems with speedo cal. If it's a 1500 with a 3.63 diff and a single rail gearbox then the speedo will read very slow. So no chance of hitting the 140MPH!

Dave

Its the old one, if you look in the mirror you can see the problem    Ha 

You learn from questions or  .....mistakes    we have all been there

Keep em coming if we have an answer something will appear from someone theres a lot of Tee shirts out there

Pete