Further wiring conundrum that I can’t solve

All. Further to the question on the GT6 mk 3 hazard switch wiring configuration I’ve still got something wrong and can’t work it out. I’ve checked everything and can’t find the error. I should note that I’ve recently changed the loom for a new one and also the switch because a tab on the back snapped off

so this is the problem. With the switch wired up as normal and the hazard switch and ignition turned off, when I connect the battery I get the hazard flasher unit clicking and the hazard warning , oil and ignition lights all flashing but the indicators don’t flash

When I do engage the Hazard switch the hazard warning , oil and ignition lights go out and indicators flash normally

ive tested every combination of power being supplied to the hazard switch, power supply being broken, hazard switch either on or off and indicators either on or off 

results are in the table attached every time there is an error I’ve shaded the box red  

anyone got a clue what I do next 

i haven’t started the car for obvious reasons  to have an error on the lights is one thing , to have an error on the ignition current would be another

regards

kevin

C0FA3EF3-CDDD-49EC-9B88-EB6F4E4F53D9.png

Are there any in compatibles with the  replaced harness?  was this all car or just the dash zone

Have you checked the earths    missing earths cause lots of back feed lighting the unwanted

and fuse cap connections always a good source of frustration

Pete

yes  deck chair and a beer sounds a less stressed day off.

was it the correct loom.  did everything match up and connect same as the removed 

are you chasing your tail when its the harness thats the culprit    dont know where to start apart from a full circuit check out 

Pete

Oh Lord... the memory is failing this morning but I had a fairly similar problem with my first Spitfire way back in the day, something along the lines of: when the left indicator was selected, three flashed; when the right indicator was selected, a different combination of three flashed, and the warning light did something I can't remember... but it was all down to earths at the front sidelight units. I cleaned the earthing points and possibly added new earths, which cured it completely.

Check the connections to the rear of the hazard switch too. I know in the past I've wired light switches wrong as the diagram was impossible to follow in relation to the actual wiring.

Do the above and perhaps also when you remove the new switch, put it on the bench and test the various terminals with a meter or a simple bulb.  Essentially the switch isolates the directional-flasher-unit and switches over to the hazard-flasher unit.  There is a link in one of the other posts which shows this in diagram form quite clearly.   You will resolve it with a bit of patience, I am sure.

Tom

Yes I thought about the old switch but in the time taken by speedy cables to restore the speedo I stupidly thought I would have a tidy up on the grounds that I’m moving house. 

I was concerned that I might have the wrong switch because Moss don’t sell GT 6 parts always but I think it must be common with other models and can’t believe that even triumph would have two

I think from memory and the wiring diagram that the two circuits should run independently ? If I take off both the light green/ pink input and light green/ green and see what happens ? 

I can kinda understand some of the circuit but don’t really get how, when the direction switch is closed to saw the red green link, how does the direction indicator lamp earth out to work ? 

Kevin

4 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

Colin  if the Lord helps can you post his phone number  ???

I don't phone, we just chat, at least I think it's HIM as I get answering voices and it doesn't sound like the cat.

I've asked my alternative personality and he says it's not him either.

You need help... but don't we all. My 'voices' will come courtesy of the 42 bottles of beer that I've just bottled (see thread elsewhere). Well, its too hot to do much else and the thoughts of drinking it while the weather is still nice were just too much to resist.

Ok so I’ve spent the afternoon taking the dashboard back out to test continuity of pins etc see image below

I’m note sure the switch is correct test results as attached

as I understand it, when the switch is in the off posn( ie hazards don’t work) then 7&8 should be joined but none of the others should be. 

On my switch when in off mode, points 3,4,7&8 are all connected. I think this means we have two lives going to the switch and when the ignition is off, the live from the flasher unit is earthing out through the oil and ignition lamps

when in on mode pins 123&4 all connect which is I think correct

thoughts anyone?  

20DD614A-1098-499F-886A-E8B2913B87EB.png

Pin 1 = green red from indicator bulb

pin2= green white from indicator bulb

pin 3= light green pink from the hazard flasher unit. This one should be permenantly live

pin 4= light green green that goes to the hazard warning light

pin 7 = light green slate that goes off to the indicator flasher 

pin 8= green is the switched live that comes from the ignition 

• Like 1

That looks almost right but something's up with 3 & 4 being connected when off. The correct function of that switch is:

OFF: 7 & 8 connected, all others open

ON: 1, 2, 3 & 4 connected, 7 & 8 open

I don't think pin 3 should be "permanently live" but rather the other side of the flasher it connects to should be.

9 hours ago, Kevin.payne.15 said:

When you take the switch apart then there is no way thar 3&4 will ever be separated from each other. There is a common copper strip that goes over both. 

Im confused, I can’t believe the switch is wrong, I’m just doing something very wrong 

What is the origin of this switch? If it's a reproduction, not a genuine part, then I'm quite prepared to believe it's simply wrong. I'd test the one on my GT6 but it's such a pain to get access to it.

Ok guys I’m completely flummoxed now  

I’ve splashed the cash with mr Rimmer and had delivered a switch that has exactly the same connectivity as the one I fitted a few weeks ago  now it’s entirely possible that there is a bad batch but I rather expect it isnt

what I have is that pins 3&4 are always connected which explains why the hazard light is on constantly

rock the switch one way and 3&4 connect to 1&2  switch it the other way then 3&4 connect to 7&8

im lost , anyone got a better idea than taking up Gin? 

kevin