Anglefire

My engine seems to be using a lot of oil. 

But I can’t see where from. 

I can’t see any blue smoke in the exhaust (except when I was checking the inlet manifold for leaks and I dribbled some on the joint). I’ve not had a following car checking yet but the amount that I seem to be loosing I would expect to see a cloud behind me!

i can’t see any obvious leaks - apart from an odd spot around the gearbox and diff areas there is nothing to note particularly. I do have a drip tray under the engine when it’s parked up, but that I think just has a bit of water in it. But I do have to check it again as it’s not disappeared in the heat so might be oil - it just doesn’t look like it. 

How much is alot?  Audi consider up to 1L per 600 miles acceptable for warranty purposes! (I don't).  Pretty sure Triumph reckoned up 1000 miles/pint could be considered normal......

You can burn quite alot of oil before it shows as visible smoke, especially when the oil is coming past the rings.  People talk about valve guides being a problem, but on the OHV Triumph engines you won't get much smoke or oil use from this unless you have an additional oil feed to the rocker gear.

Conversely, even relatively low volume leaks make a big mess.....

Nick

See previous  Vitesse 1600 thread

•  
  • Ben Caswell
  • Members
  • 137 posts

I have suggested this before with a members car using quite a bit of oil, and that

was to not keep topping up the oil to the top mark, Like my car I find if you let it

go till its about half way between the marks the consumption settles down considerably.

Then just keep the top up to that level.

5 hours ago, Ben Caswell said:

See previous  Vitesse 1600 thread

•  
  • Ben Caswell
  • Members
  • 137 posts

I have suggested this before with a members car using quite a bit of oil, and that

was to not keep topping up the oil to the top mark, Like my car I find if you let it

go till its about half way between the marks the consumption settles down considerably.

Then just keep the top up to that level.

Before I changed to oil, mine was on the minimum mark - and the oil pressure when starting didn’t want to come up. That was before I got the dizzy gap sorted to be fair. 

I then worked out that not enough oil had gone into the engine by quite a lot - took the thick end of another quart to get it to 4.5ltrs. Full being basically where the dipstick handle rejoins the main stick. 

1 hour ago, Anglefire said:

Full being basically where the dipstick handle rejoins the main stick. 

what !!!    are you talking about the cap ring that sits on the tube  ????       can you pop a picture up of where you think  'full'  is 

this sounds very wrong  

Pete

Yep. I based the quantity of oil with a filter change being 4.5ltrs. Had a 5ltr can of oil. To the full mark I then poured a further quart into my filler jug with some left in the can. Added oil to approximate 4.5ltr. Probably a tad less. 

Thats where it ended up. 

Hello Mark

I am sorry your engine uses so much oil but it makes me feel better about my new engine.

It only used just over a litre over 2200 miles which included 17 mountain passes in the Pyrenees and hot weather and engine has still only done 2500 miles 

Roger

Ps but the old engine did not hardly use any! But rattled on the centre main bearing! 

• Haha 1

I will have another look under it at the weekend. I guess it is possible it only leaks when being driven.  But that seems unlikely.  

Probably rings as has been said. 

Not given it a good Italian tune either, which I think Roger you mentioned before. 

On 7/30/2018 at 11:14 AM, Anglefire said:

Well I think I’ve done about 200miles and has dropped at least a pint. 

Interesting that bad rings can go almost unnoticed. That was one thing I didn’t check before I put it in at Christmas 

Lucky you....Mine decided to loose about 2 1/2 pints in 15 miles at the weekend!!?

This is probably why........this is my oil filter canister seal, replaced in May

20180731_180615.thumb.jpg.f37b98457a317ae89ad3a4fcb1dad676.jpg20180731_180624.thumb.jpg.425a98a2055a7b2c4e205d11c96db913.jpg20180731_180630.thumb.jpg.a3cb619d3d2b9d4977015fa0271a47a9.jpg20180731_180555.thumb.jpg.fb526d39f12a2aaa73f0465481ada96f.jpg

Probably my fault, Bolt too tight? not straight when tightened up? or poor quality seal? It has done about 800 miles, no problem until the weekend.

Plus side... I checked the oil when I seen a good coating of the "Triumph anti-rust" all over the floor and chassis passenger side!  

chopped  6cyl.  canister seals is common , its also easy to fit a new one over the top of a previous, the groove they sit in has a double  seating lip ,and unless you hang upside down from a sky hook with the glasses on upside down you wont see the problem

always take care the sealing 0 ring sits firmly down inside the groove(s) dont use the can to  self postion the seal

i had this on the first oil change when i bought the Vit6 ..lesson learned 

Pete

• Like 2