Instrument Bezel

68vitesse

Bought a set of bezels for my Vitesse at one of the Stonleigh shows some time back. Correct half V profile and chrome but depth is different.

Four inch old bezel 6.86mm deep new 7.84mm.

Two inch old bezel 5.35mm deep new 5.75.

Fitted one of the bezels to my rev counter today and used some closed cell black cord of a larger diameter under the glass and between bezel and glass, turned out ok. Made a press from wood and a couple of bolts, and to support the sides of the bezel while knocking the tags over a jubile type clamp with some notches cut in it to give access.

Regards

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Saved my bacon more than once, stripping the black paint off an old bezel to find lovely chrome underneath.

Incidentally the instrument glass is readily available, both large and small, and can also brighten up an old gauge very easily. Just make sure you don't get fingerprints on the inside as you fit it tho....

Unlikely to be chrome - why go to that expense and then paint over it.

From the ones I have seen and owned, it is likely to be some sort of alloy which may suggest why it is used for painting purposes.

4 hours ago, dave.vitesse said:

Is that what's down in Colin's pit !

No, that's me after a day spent gearbox oil changing for about 20 cars.

Re the bezels, I've stripped about half a dozen black ones in the last few years, all from Dolomites or Spitfires to reuse on GT6 dials, and every one has been chrome underneath, just requiring a light polish. They've all come from different sources over the years so unlikely to be the same batch or year.

i re did all of my bezels in black, the originals seem to be thin steel but you can buy new brass ones, you can also get the proper sponge seal in various lengths.

just scuff the surface and use a fine primer, i then used halfords satin/semi gloss black. they came out really well.

if you have any lucas instruments, some came with  an actual black bezel that fitted over the chrome one.

Been looking at the instruments in a spare dash which has the Vitesse script on it. Rev counter is missing Speedo reads to 110 and does not have place on back for voltage stabilizer, fuel and temperature guage needles flop from side to side.

Would this be from a late 1600?.

Regards

Paul

Is it missing ie is there a hole for it, or is it just not there? Never had a Vitesse but I think the early ones had one big speedo marked higher than the 90 mph of the similar Herald clocks. Later ones with two dials also had the limit as 110mph. I'd assume, as with the GT6, that the voltage regulator was mounted elsewhere, maybe behind the dash but not on any of the clocks.

Single gauge Vitesse 6 marked to 110 MPH with a line after for 115MPH.  Four Gauge Vitesse 6 marked to 110MPH. All 2Litres marked to 120MPH.

No voltage stabiliser on the Vitesse 6, moving iron meters fast reaction. The voltage stabiliser was used on all 2 Litre Vitesse, hot wire meters with slow reaction.

Dave