Engine identification

Richard Lambert

I am in the process of swapping engines I have one with a recondition bottom and the other has a recon head however I am a little confused with the identification of of one the engine number is FH7048HE now my thoughts were Spitfire MKIV  

FH = Spitfire MKIV

HE= High compression engine

But when trying to identify parts the number seem short by 1 digit 

Any help I need to get head gasket set with or without the tab?  

GT6 mk3 numbers start from KE101 and progress to 5 figure numbers. I think it's the similar for Spitfires.

On the triumphspitfire.com site under historymk4.com  there's an early change/upgrade from FH4169 

The tab indicates the gasket is for a recessed bore, you don't want the wrong one! :o

Doug

as its the bock that determines the gasket whats on the engine  the tab sticks out the back face of the block/head 

you need to copy whatever is fitted the head has no gasket changes they all fit  after FH25001 they had low lift cam and larger inlet valves to compensate and from most parts sites the tabbed gasket and

recessed bore is from FH25001  use AMJ 1209   

and non recessed prior FH25000   AMJ 1149

pete

Hi, Doug says above "GT6 mk3 (engine) numbers start from KE101 and progress...". My engine, which I believe to be original, is stamped KE 83 HE. The Comission no. is 16 and the body shell is 23 - all prefixed KE. It's been suggested previously that my car may have been a promotion vehicle as it was not put into the sales stream until December 71 but was made 27/10/70 and taxed with a 72 plate. I'm trying to trace the car's early history, soI'm really interested in knowing if what Doug says, with all due respect to someone who clearly knows his stuff, about the numbering is correct. 

Paul

Paul,

Wow! That's interesting! I got this info from the triumphspitfire.com site they have a reference section. It's normally reliable, however doesn't make allowance for "specials" 

I can't cut and paste on this old laptop else I'd give you the link. You'll have to search, the site is where the coloured wiring diagrams that pop up on here come from. 

I found on there that GT6s sold in the USA had an option to have air conditioning, I wonder how many they got to the galleon?!! :o

You mistake my constant ramblings as "knowing my stuff" Mr Lewis is your man if you need a guru.

Doug

Hi again.  Another interesting factor is that when I bought the car in '92 I got quite a lot of history with it. Including details of the engine rebuild. But the factory fitted overdrive had a switch on a stalk on the column as per the mk2. So now wondering if it was a pretty releas/prototype vehicle? Do any details of these vehicles exist anywhere? Paul 

15 hours ago, Paulfc said:

Hi, Doug says above "GT6 mk3 (engine) numbers start from KE101 and progress...". My engine, which I believe to be original, is stamped KE 83 HE. The Comission no. is 16 and the body shell is 23 - all prefixed KE. It's been suggested previously that my car may have been a promotion vehicle as it was not put into the sales stream until December 71 but was made 27/10/70 and taxed with a 72 plate. I'm trying to trace the car's early history, soI'm really interested in knowing if what Doug says, with all due respect to someone who clearly knows his stuff, about the numbering is correct. 

Paul

I wondered if Doug was onto something, as my car is commission number 83 with engine KE184HE - 101 apart! I've just flicked through the Richard Dredge and Graham Robson books on the Spitfire and GT6, along with John Thomason's Guide to Originality and none of them mention the engine numbering - only the prefix KE for the Mk 3.

Gully

Hi, 

The web site Doug alluded to is triumphspitfire.com. According to it the Mk3 to number 4596 did not have the engine number prefixed with a 1. It does look as though all others did. 

It's never dull with a Triumph!

Paul

I suspect there's some confusion going on when people are reading the info on triumphspitfire.com. I trawled the site repeatedly trying to find the info on engine numbers indicated above and I can't! What it states in the detail table is that commission KE101 began in 1971 - ergo leaving the October to December 1970 cars with earlier numbers. The site also says on the summary page that commissions KE0001 to KE04596 were issued in 1971. Clearly both can't be right! What it doesn't do (that I can find) is say anything other than the engine references being KE.

Gully

Gully,

To add further confusion it doesn't say when in 1971 KE101 started. KE20001 for example starts in Feb 1973. So KE101 may not run from Jan 1971?

Other engine number prefixes are KF for USA and KG for Sweden (wonder why?) But no number details.

Doug

FM*****HE. The FM denotes Spitfire 1500, the number is just a sequential number and HE denotes high compression (UK market). Later blocks had 28 thou recesses on the bores and this denoted by a flat protrusion at the rear end of the block and a corresponding tab on the gasket. My own 1980 Spitfire has engine number FM118602HE.

Dave.

On 8/18/2018 at 5:00 AM, dougbgt6 said:

I found on there that GT6s sold in the USA had an option to have air conditioning, I wonder how many they got to the galleon?!! :o

Doug

At one point, there was an optional, dealer-installed "Triumph-Aire" air conditioning kit for the Herald 1200 in the US. Supposedly, it only used 1/2 horsepower. Yeah, right; like the typical Herald 1200 had that to spare. ;)

• Haha 1

On 8/18/2018 at 9:57 AM, KevinR said:

Engine numbers started at 1 for any series.  The very low numbers probably never got delivered as they were probably factory prototypes.

I have a MKIV Spitfire engine with the number FH14HE.

5B223514-538E-4F70-90F1-172CF037AA99.jpeg

Spookily I used to have a Spitfire engine number FH14HE

1 hour ago, thescrapman said:

Spookily I used to have a Spitfire engine number FH14HE

Might have something to do with you passing it on to me along with an overdrive gear box.  Both awaiting a rebuild.

i seem to recall that you might have the Spitfire it actually came from.

Still waiting? Get your finger out!!!

I reckon it was a reject and went round for rework as car is chassis FH9xx and registered on day the Mk4 was launched.

i would have expected very early cars to have engine and chassisvery close together as they practised building them