1980 TR7 DHC rolling restoration - bye bye!

23 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I also banged my thumb quite hard when a spanner slipped and it's still throbbing...

That explains why you made such good progress Colin. I concluded many years ago that there must be a Deity with a particular interest in DIY car mechanics, since a blood sacrifice or at least some physical pain is invariably involved in a successful session in the garage (or maybe I'm just clumsy)

Wayne

I just replaced the modern’s battery, it has a strange elongated bolt goes through the battery clamp. Smallest spanner I got and a lot of grunt and my wrist goes “ping”. Two weeks later, still hurts.

Use the correct tool, stupid! A socket with a long lever. 😡

db

14 minutes ago, Waynebaby said:

That explains why you made such good progress Colin. I concluded many years ago that there must be a Deity with a particular interest in DIY car mechanics, since a blood sacrifice or at least some physical pain is invariably involved in a successful session in the garage (or maybe I'm just clumsy)

Wayne

I'd agree there, Wayne. You have to pay a toll for any success.

This was the side of the lower trailing arm bracket, which has a curved lip with the nut / bolt in behind; The spanner slipped and I got the full force of my exertions through a thin strip of metal pressed against the side of the thumb, between the joint and the hand. It's still incredibly sore today but not a mark on it. I suppose it's better my thumb than the bodywork...

We're getting older, Doug. Almost everything I do these days hurts.

Well we're back on four wheels again; rear axle on, rear anti-roll bar fitted, brakes fitted - twice - and handbrake cable on. I rebuilt the driver's side brakes, then went to the passenger side, but wasn't happy with the fit of the self-adjusters, so had to dismantle the driver's side again to make sure I'd done it correctly. I'd rather worry about it now than at the first junction I come to when it's back on the road.

DSCF7703.jpg.ccc2ba7917f3a9e4a6a649c208f9918b.jpg

I lowered it down onto the ground a few minutes ago amidst creaks and groans of new suspension settling - or was that my joints when I straightened up? I'm off to the chop shop on Thursday for an operation on my shoulder so won't be in the garage for a day or two and didn't want it up on the ramp for so long.

The only thing left to do on the underside is to fit the rear bump stops, the ones between the axle arms and the chassis, but they will not fit. Not even slightly. I've tried lowering the car onto a wood block set between the axle and the bump stop to see if that forces it into place but it just squashes out at the sides.

Any tips?

DSCF7704.jpg.4ffb05bed31f9803fe26b5eade65dd3e.jpg

14 hours ago, 68vitesse said:

Thank you!! I searched that forum but couldn't find a thing. Just been out after leaving the car all night on wooden blocks, but no further in than before. I don't really fancy cutting a groove and threading them in... so have tried spray grease and back onto the blocks again. Wonder how the factory did it?

• 5 months later...

Long awaited update: the car has been sitting for the last six months doing nothing but gathering dust... so I thought lockdown might be a good time to advertise it for sale if anyone wanted a good project to finish. I need the room to get one of the others restarted, and to be honest have just lost interest in it. It was meant to be a temporary runaround, not a complete restoration, and the initial reason for the purchase - needing something on the road until the GT6 came back - has long gone.

I've had a collection of complete idiots make contact.

"Why does it not have a Service history?"

"You're advertising it as tax and MOT exempt from June, but this is only May so it's not exempt."

"They're not a great car."

"I don't want to buy yours but I need parts for mine."

There's also one overseas buyer who is currently trying to arrange transport... I'm waiting for the scam to start... why are things never easy?

However as the engine work now comes to a close I've forgotten where things go! Can you help jog the memory?

20954DFF-A8C1-4E1F-B2C5-D87BB0090D64_1_105_c.jpg.508bc03c5ccdfd3d8b8b90911a78ac18.jpg DCA77CEB-68CB-4ED0-A1FD-91C605AB0BE3_1_105_c.jpg.eac26837c38f58f8d7b92e643c1f74b5.jpg

I've completely forgotten how the accelerator (yellow) and choke cables (green) attach - can anyone show me the correct places for each?

Secondly: I've replaced the points with Accuspark; they have two cables, red and black. I've forgotten where the original points attach to on the loom - is it this black connector, behind the green plastic drain, just above the gearbox? In which case does the black cable go to the earth terminal of the coil? Lost the instructions... :(

CE0EEA63-2DB0-4F3B-AE68-D0699AE86D59_1_105_c.jpg.4285df3bda1660ffc04339d0852c7075.jpg

I've had quite a few.... tentative... enquiries (won't be rude and call them timewasters) but this has given me a new impetus in getting the TR finished, so we've done sterling work in the last three days.

892D2501-8BE6-4BA6-950A-E3AD9DE2C030_1_105_c.jpg.ac1aa43574df5253aad191d143087352.jpg

The engine is now completely reinstalled, the only outstanding part is to connect the electronic ignition to the coil, and refill the coolant which is doing strange things - the header tank is full but the water is not going anywhere else, except for once when it started gurgling down into the radiator, but when refilled, it stayed full. It's only taken about 3 litres so that's nowhere near enough. I'll explore the reasons tomorrow. It's now had 4.5 litres of Comma Classic Oil and is ready for the new battery and a startup.

47B1AC54-CFD1-4797-905D-AE3EE931A8F5_1_105_c.jpg.da2f493ec5c5f6645bf5cad99ad1c401.jpg

The interior is now completely replaced, but there's still some errant wiring - the spade terminal hanging down under the steering wheel points to something not right, but I'll only be able to test when the battery is fitted. The cheap Chinese USB radio unit suits it well enough and I've put large Pioneer speakers in the doors.

8CA5DA96-5D33-49EC-A09B-308123C69151_1_105_c.jpg.0ef549dad1952aa5083c62f9cd95c382.jpg

After all that it got a wash and polish and came up very well. I need to fit the rear wheel trims, bleed the brakes and clutch system and reinflate a soft tyre and... that's it. Done. Just over 18 months off and on but it's now good for many more miles yet.

Except that we can't get an MOT.... :(

Advertised on Gumtree, had a lot of interest, and it was a case of first to see will buy... and he did.

A very nice gentleman arrived today, had a good look, saw nothing to frighten him, knocked £50 off the asking price and: sale agreed. I'll be both sad and glad to see it go; always sad to move a car on, but it frees up valuable room and more importantly cash that will go towards the Herald restorations. Now I'll have to switch to the Herald 1200 restoration thread again.

What he didn't see was that, two hours before, the bonnet refused to open, and gave me a few heartstopping moments until it did. I had trapped the cable under the air intake plenum when I refitted it... so all freed up and working perfectly. He's getting a good car that deserves a good home.

DD5FFBA6-9EA9-4694-A48C-7F604930F337_1_105_c.jpg.3679fefd3888e3a16e4926408b86d623.jpg

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

...and it's gone... collected on a transporter yesterday, it's off to Omagh and a home alongside a 1947 Riley and a few other exotics. I must admit when rolled out into the sunlight it looked great. I still can't get used to the empty space in the garage but will NOT - NOT! NOT! NOT! be buying anything else to fill it. I have two Heralds to finish and if I could get the lift free again, three moderns to service this week. I've already started the ball rolling as far as lockdown permits with the convertible Herald, so things should move a bit from here on.

DSCF8820.jpg.96e61160d104bebb2b26c3838df4db2e.jpg DSCF8817.jpg.ff34e2cdc0ee13359f289dbc0eb39b99.jpg

So: over and out from the TR7, and on to something a little older and simpler. 

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Colin, the car looked good. After the hard work presenting cars for sale I generally wonder why I am selling.

I must admit I was tempted by it, but like Karl SWMBO would say unless you sell one of your car's.

Very nice car

Graham

Edited by Graham C
Correction of auto spelling
  • Thanks 1

The new owner called in with an old mate of mine earlier in the week, at the other end of the country, to buy wheels - I'm assuming alloys - but when he mentioned where he had bought it the  vendor knew immediately who had sold it, even though I had not seen him in ages. This is why I couldn't sell a lemon, it would come back to bite me at some future stage! This country of ours is too small and I guarantee I'll run into it again at some show or other, so don't want to be hiding from new owners just in case... :)

• Like 1