1980 TR7 DHC rolling restoration - bye bye!

That's what I get for idly trawling Gumtree... 1980 TR7 just out of MOT, bought for an absolute song - I'd already decided on the price I was going to pay (well below the asking price), before I'd even viewed the car, then a mate stepped in and negotiated it down to £200 below that. The owner delivered it 50 miles to my house this afternoon so at least I know it runs and drives that sort of distance. Fully unmolested down to the original Triumph radio. If my other Triumphs are anything to go by it probably should have been molested years ago, but at first glance it's solid and original. The intention is to get an MOT then just rolling maintenance to keep it on the road and get some use out of it. I'll report on any nasties I find along the way... the owner told me he believes the heater blower fan isn't working, and the rear boot lid won't stay up, but all else is working well. Time will tell. He also says it's running like a pig as the carbs aren't balanced, but there's no sign of overheating or other problems so far.

First step; clean out the interior, which hasn't even been hoovered.

DSCF5771.jpg.5cf4ba805862687d2cce5a0533d07fc2.jpg

DSCF5770.jpg.edeb5b276d9dfa7bab2b5a6f0b425970.jpg

engine.thumb.jpg.3dc1536e0a6cd3bf38dec89740f1a512.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

First impressions in the cold light of morning:

Bootlid has been resprayed and poorly prepared, so quite pimply under the paint, but it's solid. Floors are good, especially in the corners of the boot. The car rocked substantially when started by me when I drove it into the garage so suspension may need an overhaul, and I know the brakes were always marginal on these anyway. I'm assuming it's long overdue for an oil change and rear axle topup. Brakes are first on the inspection / overhaul list once the lift becomes free again (3 wheeled GT6 on it at present).

Air filter is black, oil is black, filter probably disgusting, dashpots empty, and the coolant is just pure water.

Interior is filthy - all trim and dash etc covered in dust and grime. The centre console has been removed and poorly replaced. Very original down to the original Triumph radio and speakers, but a lot of errant wiring and scotchlocks under the dashboard. I opened the petrol cap and pressure nearly blew it out of my hand; when I went to lock it the lock barrel fell out so that's one item for early replacement. Door courtesy lights, and boot light, don't work at all.

Most important thing is to discover why the previous owner didn't put it through MOT, which would probably have doubled the value. What did he know that I haven't found yet? :) He has supplied two steering rack gaiters claiming that one is split.

DSCF5774.jpg.65ffbb1cf041a4656a02a918fcf881b6.jpg

• Colin Lindsay changed the title to What have I done?? TR7 DHC on a whim...

Congratulations on buying a TR7.  Same colour and interior trim as mine. 

Are the carpets dry?  Fascia has to come out to repair or replacement the heater. Or maybe electrical problems bin there  too.

Have fun. A much maligned Triumph but am sure you will enjoy your time together!

1 hour ago, steveweblin said:

A much maligned Triumph but am sure you will enjoy your time together!

Thanks Steve; prepare yourself for lots of questions! (Such as: what kind of boot stay should a 1980 TR7 have?) Yes carpets are dry, but filthy - years of grime. The hood appears to be excellent and probably a replacement.

I remember when I bought my MK1 GT6 no-one wanted them and they were few and far between, but what a difference 20 years makes.  I just love being obtuse and supporting the underdogs. My excuse to 'er indoors was that it's a temporary replacement for the GT6 while it's off the road (again) so I can enjoy the remains of the summer and being so cheap I'll probably make a few pounds on it once I sell it. Whenever that is. :)

Well done - It certainly looks great to me!

Before  I buy a car I  go with a set figure in my head and rehearse what I am going to say.

-However this has never, ever worked. I always come away  kicking myself for being talked around and paying more!

I really should get someone to do the deal for me . What’s your commission ?

Back in the thick of it again...

Why do so many suppliers try to charge me 'International' postage rates? It's the UK here too, and UK postage rates apply.

Why do small trim parts cost so much? (£70 for a plastic insert that goes round the petrol cap!)

Why are all replacement centre consoles on eBay cut for additional switches?

Why can't I find a good supplier of front shocks, even if it took me a while to discover they're actually strut inserts?

Why did I put my three-wheeled GT6 onto my lift, and so the TR has to wait?

Why won't 'er indoors allow me to put the screenwash bottle into the dishwasher?

I love these cars, really....

bad hair day then ???    have a look at the leader board youre getting some good points ..that should cheer you up

as for dishwasher you need to get up very early 

our Area  has just bought  a parts washer tank and pump to help members...its not been used yet  and im first in the queue

Pete

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

bad hair day then ???   

Nah (athough if I let mine grow it ends up looking like Donald Trump, so it's always short)

I flushed the cooling system, which was red rusty water, cleaned the silicone sealer off the thermostat housing, got a new gasket from my spares which made me feel really smug, and rebuilt the system again. A small victory that makes you feel so good!

THEN I posted that other post....

Anyone know a good breaker of TR7s that will have loads of small trim parts for pennies?(NOT trim parts for pennies but trim parts for TR7s, for pennies....)

I've now stripped out most of the dash, firstly to get at the back of the instrument cluster and replace failed dashboard illumination bulbs, but also to blow two inches of dust off everything. Surprisingly easy, once you know where all the fixing screws are, but far far more wiring than ever I saw in a Herald....

I've identified the heater motor which is non-functioning - I replaced the fuse as a start, but no go. There are two wires - green, and green / purple - I'm wondering if I just attached a 12v power supply to one or the other to see if the motor spins, what else would go bang?

DSCF5779.thumb.jpg.bf6163fa25998eb127c01188784700b3.jpg

DSCF5783.thumb.jpg.ddf9991f76bbcb8465e5789a5cf8bc87.jpg

For bits either Robsport or S&S preparations. There are lots of relays, fuses and plugs/sockets. More to keep you busy as the plug/sockets tend to corrode as they are un-plated.

If you have a multi-meter you should be able to find the 12v supply. My diagram for 1980 UK car gives Green/Light Green as the 12v supply? 

Looks like a good project.

Dave 

15 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

We tell the newbies on here get a workshop manual and a wiring diagram. You do have a wiring diagram, don't you, Colin? :lol:

Doug

Definitely a newbie where the TR7 is concerned but it's fun.  I have the wiring diagram, workshop manual, various A4 downloads off the Net, and a few old books on the TR7 that I bought years ago at autojumbles. 

I had all of those for the Herald too, but still managed to melt the wiring loom TWICE on my 1200 Estate.... hence the question about simply putting power to the heater blower motor and what else it might set on fire... :)

You reckon power in through the light green and out through the purple / green, Dave? The lack of any earth or black cable is confusing me... but in any case, until I refit the dash assembly, the battery is out so can't test with the multimeter.

Re Clive: yes I can just about reach the heater itself, but it's costing me a lot of skin off the backs of my knuckles. You can squeeze IN past various obstructions, and work by touch alone, but they all seem to clamp your hand on the way OUT...

No, Pete, if you check the diagram it shows LG being supply (fused off the white circuit) and the PLG being switched to ground through a selection of resistors for fan speed control. It is rather obscured by the immensely complicated optional fit air conditioning bits.

Normally the LG Green or Green is the supply. The other connection on the motor will go to the speed control resistors and the switch. And yes there should be an earth connection to the switch. I can't remember the colours.

As Rob points out the confusion is only showing the option air con and not including the standard heater set-up on the 1980 diagram.

The diagram for 1976/7 cars does show the heater motor and gives LG Green the then Green as the supply to the motor. Then Pink on the other motor connection which goes to the speed resistors and switch. The switch has a black lead going to earth. 

When in doubt check the plugs/sockets, as on an average that's where most of the problems come from.

It's not you Colin, the electrical system on the TR7 is a wonder. You wonder who design it and why.

Dave

• Haha 1

On 8/29/2018 at 3:52 PM, dave.vitesse said:

It's not you Colin, the electrical system on the TR7 is a wonder. You wonder who design it and why.

I'm certainly finding that out, and also more wonder: I wonder why the previous owners made such a hash of it?

I've found what I presume is the indicator flasher unit, but it appears to have three cables to two terminals... if the LG / N and G / W are the proper cables why is there a red white and blue one tacked on and the G/W now redundant?

DSCF5789.jpg.36654e4995ced061e5c151ce2a6658df.jpg

I've replaced all of the dashboard illumination bulbs and if my can of Servisol would turn up I'd lubricate and clean all the terminals before refitting the instrument cluster. I've also received front suspension and brake rebuild kits as well as a few boxes of assorted odds and ends, such as proper pipes for the engine bay, the originals being small pipes stuffed into smaller pipes to make them fit. The one to the right of the thermostat housing was two feet long... you can see what the original was meant to be. BTW - my thermostat housing has no bleed screw on top - is this correct or will it cause problems?

DSCF5785.jpg.57f15a328b0a7da27b03d34d29f878ec.jpg

The long cardboard-type pipe from the manifold to the temperature sensor (my third pic down from the top) is also a bit mangled; more so now that I leaned on it while doing the plugs, so it may not forgive me this time. Is there a modern alternative?

Colin, that cardboard pipe looks the same as that used in air cooled VWs from the fan housing to the cylinder head cooling shrouds, and there are plenty of VWs out there with shiny new metal ones which means you should be able to source something a little more substantial and a bit more attractive fairly easily.

https://www.vwheritage.com/028129087al-aluminium-corrugated-air-intake-hose-vw-spare

The TR looks very nice, the convertible look always suited the 7 best.

Karl