gt6 mk3 mileometer/tripometer

Dave pb

HI

Just been out for a drive and noticed both mileometer and tripometer stuck after a mile or so. Speedo still working normally.  Stopped the car, engine still running.  Started off again both meters working, a mile later both stick in the same place  i.e  the same place on the tripometer right hand digit 1/10th mile.  Repeat the process, 2 or 3 times, same thing everytime.

Any ideas?

Dave

===

The oddometer rolls are indexed by a small pawl driven off a worm inside  the head, the pawl lever pivots and might even use gravity to operate the ratchet wheels.  

This simple mechanism gets dried out , so its off with the chrome rim remove the glass undo the screws I  the back and lift the inards out of its case

You will see the pawl and levers , simple lubrication will  generally  bring it back to life   light oil , not wd40 stuff.

No need fo remove needles or the face , whist inside oil the main shaft , dont grease the magnet or drive disc

Pete

Ever tried resetting the mileage on a speedo? I tried it once with a car that I'd restored after it had been abandoned for years and thought a speedo starting off at 000000 miles would reflect the mileage of the reconditioned engine and reborn car... sadly the digits all ended off looking totally skew-wiff so had to fit another spare.

Any tips would be welcome as I might try it again someday...

from my days running the factory  tachograph centre  you had a neat little jig to hold the rolls , this allowed the index ratchets to be disengaged  between each drum roll  and you turn the drums to what reading was required, like match the replacement, 

doing it DIY with a few beers in tow will always end up winky wonky digits  , it designed to show up any  fiddling 

as Colin  found out 0o0oo01   

Pete

• Haha 1

Yes   removed from the dash , apart from access and the need for some sticky plaster its unscrew the cable nut and just two knurled nuts that hold /clamp the speedo into the dash,  there is a rubber ring behind the rim wich will be old and tacky sticks the speedo in place

Theres another under the glass , this sticks the glass as well,   new O rings are available  can be silly prices

but cheapest is buy a length of 1.5 mm dia rubber and cut it to length  supa glue the joint. to make an 0 ring 

On the back of the speedo is mounted the small  gauge voltage stabiliser , needs the wires /lucar  disconnecting .

Pete

12 hours ago, Gully said:

The odometer and trip 'pause' on mine each time I clock over another 1000 miles. Quick tap on the face of the speedometer gets them moving again!

My GT6 suffers that on 100 mile rollover, especially if the trip is aligned with the odo. Unfortunately, the "tap on the face" doesn't work and they often remain "paused" for quite a few miles.

If I may, while it's out, revise the wiring.

At present, putting the connections back is groping behind the dash, in the dark, or else lying on yiur back with a torch in your mouth.  Unless you have one of thiose forehead things.

All modern cars will have a single multiway connector from loom to any electrical item.     It's easy to copy this, and insert a multiway ( See: http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/product.php/613/multi-connectors-6-3mm Other suppliers may be used , of course).  Then, before inserting the gauge back into the dash, you recah in throughb the hole, pull out the inner end of the multiway, plug it into the tail on the gauge and re-fit the gauge.  Job done!   See pic, original on left, with multiway on right.

John

O.jpg

2 hours ago, Dave pb said:

The tap on the face method isn't working.  Now to figure out how to get the speedo out.

Dave

If you remove the heater knobs and open the middle segment of the dash it's much easier to access the back of the speedo and one of the two holding clamps.

Gully

Don't do what I did when fitting led bulbs to the dials. Put my hand under the dash to get at the speedo, twisted my wrist to get better access, couldn't get my hand out. The more I struggled upside down etc etc, the more my hand swelled up, the worse it got. Got out eventually, but the fire brigade could have had fun with that one.

Chrome bezel will rotate with sufficient but gentle force - don't distort it or bend anything. The rubber seal will probably have dissolved into rubbery glue. You can unpick the tabs on the rear but they're brittle, can snap easily, and never go back the same way as before if bent.

To refit, rotate the speedo - no wires attached - until the furthest bolt is right beside you. Attach the clamp, spring washer and nut, then tighten until it grips but also slides. Then rotate the speedo until it's in the correct position where you can get at the other bolt. You can usually tighten this one fully as is, but when you come to the other one, awkward though it now is, just a few more degrees will tighten it fully - much easier than trying to fit the screw along the entire length of the bolt from underneath. 

• Thanks 1

On ‎9‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 5:22 PM, JohnD said:

If I may, while it's out, revise the wiring.

At present, putting the connections back is groping behind the dash, in the dark, or else lying on yiur back with a torch in your mouth.  Unless you have one of thiose forehead things.

All modern cars will have a single multiway connector from loom to any electrical item.     It's easy to copy this, and insert a multiway ( See: http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/product.php/613/multi-connectors-6-3mm Other suppliers may be used , of course).  Then, before inserting the gauge back into the dash, you recah in throughb the hole, pull out the inner end of the multiway, plug it into the tail on the gauge and re-fit the gauge.  Job done!   See pic, original on left, with multiway on right.

John

O.jpg

Hi JOhn

I'm working on this idea,   but I have 10 cables going to the speedo.   2 for oil lamp, 2 for ign lamp, 2 for beam lamp, 3 to volt stabilizer, one to illumination lamp,  (actually 11,  an earth cable to one of the fixing bolts).  Did you rationalise these in anyway to get an 8-way connector?

Dave

====