Stainless bumpers

petrolhed917

Rather than re-chroming I’m considering whether to instead replace the old pitted chrome bumpers on my Gt6 mk3 with a stainless steel set from Harrington Group. Has anyone switched to stainless and if so what do you think of the finish/quality? Do they easily fit to the existing mounting points?

Thanks.

I've got them fitted to my Mk IV Spitfire and overall very happy with them.

• The look great and it takes a knowing eye to tell them from all but the most freshly rechromed bumpers.
  • Had my car valued at Duxford a couple of weeks back and valuer was very complientary about them.

It's not all perfect though:

• While the bolt holes are in the correct place they are both a little too wide (~1cm each side) on my car, leading to little stacks of washers on each outer bolt.
  • I have no fecking idea what random nuts they welded on as captives, but they aren't the standard ones!

Overall if your car's there to be driven and enjoyed rather than polished and only taken out when it's wall to wall sunshine I'd say, like me, you'll be very happy with them.

I fitted Harrington s/s bumpers to be old Stag.... as above, they needed a little fettling, although nothing more than I had expected. I had the first set of Mk1’s delivered to the Uk so they may have improved since I had one.

if I needed some for the TR I’d certainly go down that route again

..... Andy

I also fitted ss bumpers from Harrington - xmas prezzie from the Mrs!

Fitting a little tricky - think I had to modify something ... possibly an elongated bolt hole ... can’t remember what now . Also one side had to be pulled in a bit by doing up the bolt along with a bit of physical work. Although it wasn’t very far out.

Overall though very pleased now ... still shiny and got to be about 6 years now. Whereas rechromed ones previosly started pitting within a year.

Mike

14 hours ago, mrantell said:

Fitting a little tricky - think I had to modify something ... possibly an elongated bolt hole ... can’t remember what now .

Actually I think I may have had to elongate one of the bolt holes in one of the rear wings to fit mine too.  Wasn't far out, maybe 2mm, so a minor fettle.

When you're buying you might want to check out James Paddock as well as Harrington for prices.  I can't imagin JP are getting them from anyone other than Harrington, but they were selling them a few quid cheaper when I got mine.

With chroming you get what you pay for; sometimes not even that. Beware the companies who offer a cheap service, it's usually a cheap finish, and the more expensive companies who do a really top job charge accordingly. Good rechroming will last years and probably pay for itself eventually.

Stainless are usually fit and forget and to be honest unless you're into concours, where it really matters, not much different from the originals.

Hi,

The good thing about chrome is it never rusts if plated correctly on a rust free ferrous substrate

I obtained a brand new rear GT6 bumper a couple of years ago, could be three years. I never fitted it and it went into the basement about six months ago. I never covered it with any chemical and kept it way above the floor on a non-metallic box.

"Good re-chroming will last years and probably pay for itself eventually."

I was speaking to a main supplier of Triumph parts and was informed that the part would have come from them, as they supplied the company it came from, and that it was made to a high standard and supplied to the trade. Great I thought.

While in the basement last week moving stuff down there wrapped in cling-film and odd bag of silica gel, I noticed a chrome Triumph badge from a rear bumper. Picked it up and wiped off the dirt. As New!!. Took it upstairs. Went to look at the bumper and it had rust spots all over it!!!!! I am sure they will disappear with polish. Very disappointed with the "best" showing rust when it has not even been fitted to my car.

I can't send the POS back to the main supplier as I never bought it from them and time has expired.

If you buy chromed stuff get the supplier to guarantee it. They probably will not as they just want your money.

If I had beyond repair chrome bumpers, I would go stainless steel and make sure I had no galvanic corrosion causing problems.

Cheers,

Iain.

22 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

I've got stainless wheel nuts, quite happy with those so I've been contemplating stainless bumpers. However,  Ashford re-chroming £960, James Paddock Stainless £834 both include VAT. So, stainless not that much cheaper.

Doug

Remember the £960 is probably JUST to re-chrome the bumpers.  If they have any dents/dings it will be extra to repair them first, as will any holes found in the base metal after it's been dipped at the cleaning stage.  A large part of the reason I went stainless in the end was knowning some areas of my originals were JUST chrome, with no steel left below it, and the pair I picked up on eBay to re-chrome weren't much better.

This is a brand new remanufactured rear overrider I bought from a main supplier and put on a Herald some years ago; the car has never been on the road since and all this rust and peeling chrome happened in a relatively dry garage. You definitely get what you pay for, and in some cases, not even that...

DSCF4839.thumb.jpg.ae619ad621358937f1d19e822ec85df8.jpg

• Sad 1

Hi,

I believe (Google) that it is possible to chrome plate stainless steel. No idea how much or the type of stainless steel that can be plated. Only googled it for a minute as I guess it would cost the price of the SS bumpers & the cost of plating & the extra cost as it's not the normal ferrous.

Datsun would be ashamed of the corrosion of that rear overrider.

Colin, that's not right that you were sold that kak. Unless you really parked it on a rock in the middle of the North sea for ten years..

My bumper was from Rimmers. I know it was from Rimmers as the insurance company provided the mounting hardware in Rimmer bags. (I told the insurance company that I would fit the rear bumper myself, as when the 3rd party body damage was repaired at their cost, as they were still waiting for the bumper to arrive). 

Cheers,

Iain.

When I worked in the wilds of Co. Fermanagh back in the 1990s I was always finding old cars, dumped miles from anywhere (including both my Herald Estates) and the amazing thing about them was that the bodywork was dust, but the chrome was perfect. I got some great old spotlights and reversing lamps, plus badges and small trim parts, which were almost like new - the mounting bolts were rusted solid and sometimes rivets and glass lenses had succumbed to the elements, but the chromed body only needed a clean and polish. It's a real testament to the manufacturer and the quality of the chroming work.

11 hours ago, Spitfire6 said:

I believe (Google) that it is possible to chrome plate stainless steel. No idea how much or the type of stainless steel that can be plated.

Iain, I clearly remember one of those satellite classic car programs (A Car Is Reborn?) where he was rebuilding an E-Type, and when it came to the wire wheels the host wanted stainless spokes but pointed out that they would look odd against the chrome rims. So he found spokes where the stainless had been chromed and waxed about how good they looked. So yes, I think it can be done. Makes you wonder about "improving" the Harrington bumpers.

Cheers, Richard

9 minutes ago, rlubikey said:

Makes you wonder about "improving" the Harrington bumpers.

Given even car experts have to ask, without confidence in their voices "Are those stainless?" I'd say it's just a way to make Harrington bumpers a lot more expensive.