paint

Ian Faulds

Ian,

I just brush painted my floor pans with Hammerite yellow, turns out a surprisingly close match to my original mimosa. However, I ask myself why bother with a close match? I'm gonna cover in Silent Coat sound/heat resistant squares and who's ever going to see it? :lol:

Doug

thanks for the replies , I know its not seen and I bought a tin of gloss red (cars pimento) but its a bit too red, just wondered if you could brush the clubs cellulose straight from the tin. I was going to buy the club paint anyway when I paint the car but im years off that yet, but was thinking to buy early to paint the floors, that's another thing does cellolose keep? I would guess best use it when its new .

5 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

all paint can ultimately  'age'   but if tin is sealed , should be fine , so  dont keep opening to have a look 

and for under carpets etc  its a lot less hassle to use a good exterior household paint of a close colour match

pete

I hope so, I bought Signal Red to paint my 1200 in 2008, it was top quality stuff and cost me about £170, and it's still unopened in the cupboard. I'm scared to open it.

I had a part tin supplied with car, of what I assumed was celly (as the brush cleaned well with celly thinners). only thing I noticed when using a brush, was that it starts to dry very quickly (especially in warm weather), so if doing bit more area, than a small touch up it has to go on quick.

Dave

Ian,

I’ve brushed the shop cellulose on the floor of my GT6. It works best when cold and you need a well loaded brush to avoid marks (it’ll start dragging within a minute) I’d recommend you don’t do this on anywhere that’s not going to be covered up though.

11 hours ago, Waynebaby said:

Ian,

I’ve brushed the shop cellulose on the floor of my GT6. It works best when cold and you need a well loaded brush to avoid marks (it’ll start dragging within a minute) I’d recommend you don’t do this on anywhere that’s not going to be covered up though.

13 hours ago, daverclasper said:

I had a part tin supplied with car, of what I assumed was celly (as the brush cleaned well with celly thinners). only thing I noticed when using a brush, was that it starts to dry very quickly (especially in warm weather), so if doing bit more area, than a small touch up it has to go on quick.

Dave

thanks for the tips about the celly chaps. I think ill just prime and red gloss it as I was going to do. ill keep a lookout for japlac, reckon it was bought by international paints.

next job is body off,  but a couple of weeks away yet as I need to tidy the garage. I was going to put the body on tressles which I was going to get some wood and make, but I picked up  couple of mk1 black& decker workmates so ill use those, they take 165kg each so be well ok. their a lot stronger looking than the new ones. form there ill be measuring up for the rotisserie. so that's my next few jobs.  great advice on here, thanks. when I start in earnest ill do a resto page on the resto chapter. itll be slow though. 

• 1 year later...