Plastic fan on Vitesse

daverclasper

cant see it as I assume they changed the fan for better cooling and if that was achieved then more air must have moved. Moving more air means more load on the engine so absorbing more power not less. The weight reduction would only affect the acceleration of the engine and hence the car not the HP and then the difference would be minimal....

43 minutes ago, johny said:

I suppose cost also came into the decision back in the day - the plastic jobbies must have been so much cheaper although I bet they werent originally made in China?

I very, very, very much doubt it.

I don't know when Triumph introduced the plastic fan, but China around 1960 was just beginning the Cultural Revolution.  The Great Leap Forward had concentrated on heavy industry, producing pig iron in villages and ruining agriculture, leading to the Great Famine that killed as many as 40 Million people.  This failure meant that a new revolutionary movement was necessary, hence the CR, the Litttle Red Book, Red Guards etc etc.   Even if it was capable, China had far too many problems to think about making goods for Imperialist running dogs!

Japan is possible, but we did not have a global industrial transport system in those days.  Raw materials and complete products would be exported/imported, but parts would be sourced from local or national suppliers, not from halfway around the world! 

History and a knowledge of history, are so important.  "Those who do not know history's mistakes are doomed to repeat them."

John

18 minutes ago, JohnD said:

I very, very, very much doubt it.

I don't know when Triumph introduced the plastic fan, but China around 1960 was just beginning the Cultural Revolution.  The Great Leap Forward had concentrated on heavy industry, producing pig iron in villages and ruining agriculture, leading to the Great Famine that killed as many as 40 Million people.  This failure meant that a new revolutionary movement was necessary, hence the CR, the Litttle Red Book, Red Guards etc etc.   Even if it was capable, China had far too many problems to think about making goods for Imperialist running dogs!

Japan is possible, but we did not have a global industrial transport system in those days.  Raw materials and complete products would be exported/imported, but parts would be sourced from local or national suppliers, not from halfway around the world! 

History and a knowledge of history, are so important.  "Those who do not know history's mistakes are doomed to repeat them."

John

Reading the post is also very important. "Those who dont read correctly the posts are doomed to make mistakes"?

• Haha 2

metal fans back in truck days of the late 70s was obviously much bigger than car fans most had rubber damped hubs to loose some  diesel unsypathetic vibrations from the crank and developement took on a new direction when we had some fail with blades letting go and exit the truck through the cab floor and some out through the roof

nasty things   not to be messed with,

the metal triumph fans  on mk1 and mk2  Vit /GT6 did have a balance weight in the hub with a  2 pin hole location to re align if it got removed 

part no. 107858 balance and bush 108496

gt6early_plate_t.jpg

Pete

The main advantage with an electric fan is it only comes on when cooling is required. Hence, the engine will warm up more quickly and there should be less over cooling in the winter months.

Though as Pete said the ram effect keeps it turning even when it's not powered. (Feather the prop) Maybe used it to charge the battery. 

The disadvantage with the electric is if it goes wrong in the summer the engine may over heat.

Dave

A more efficient fan does less stirring and more pumping of the air. Still only gives a very few hp - 2hp as Nick suggests sounds reasonable. However, pumping more air keeps the under-bonnet cooler, so maybe a few more hp gained there? How was the power tested - this is what we need to know! (Must have missed this article as I read the club comic last night)

Cheers, Richard

12 minutes ago, dave.vitesse said:

Though as Pete said the ram effect keeps it turning even when it's not powered. (Feather the prop) Maybe used it to charge the battery.

When I worked for Rover, we had a request from vehicle electrical to turn the fan on at high vehicle speed. As we didn't have a vehicle speed sensor on that model, we asked them to explain the reason, what with it seeming rather odd. Apparently, at the car's maximum speed, the fan they used was blown round by the air flow so fast that it exceeded its rated maximum. If we turned it on, the motor would attempt to charge the battery and the electrical load would slow the fan back down to within its design limits.

• Like 1

On 02/11/2018 at 09:29, JohnD said:

John

History is becoming propaganda in so many things, and in many cases can no longer be relied upon to reflect accurately the events reported.

Think of the phrase: when I do well, no-one remembers; when I make mistakes, it's trotted out again, and again... and again....

We live through an era that history may mark as having made more mistakes than 1910s imperialism, 1930s appeasement, and many more than 1960s Cold War, that skirted Armagheddon so many times.   Not least, Brexit and the rise of nationalism that may destroy the European Union, whose whole original purpose was to prevent the first two being repeated, an example of learning from history, that we are losing fast.

Sorry, thread diversion, but IT'S IMPORTANT!

John

• Like 2