Wheelbarrow exhaust

PeaTear

It's been a while since I've posted on here and I'm finally getting time to work on the spitfire. 

A p.o. had fitted a wheelbarrow exhaust and had drilled through the boot floor to secure the end boxes. This has over time caused the metal to crack.  Is this the only way to secure the boxes or is there a better method?

20190105_110006.jpg

20190105_110856.jpg

I'm a little surprised you got stress cracks from that. Is the exhaust fitted right? Or are the rear hangers trying to bend it upwards?

Personally, I think I'd have drilled through the vertical flange and added a small reinforcing plate in the inside. Well, actually, I wouldn't have fitted a wheelbarrow but...

Make sure the exhaust is properly supported at the diff nose so that the boot floor brackets are only supporting the tail pipes.

• Thanks 1

i would  think a cotton reel type metalastic mount in the floor may help, 

heres a lot of stress being transmitted thro those  straps  to crack the floor   hows the rest of the system is the tail starps under a lot of load to get the height right ??

ive seen a angle  iron frame made to fit above /below the floor , to aid supports 

pete

• Thanks 1

Mine has a bracket by the manifold and another by the diff and then the hangers off the boot floor - can't remember if I drilled on or used the existing - though I'm tending to sway to the existing ones.

I know lots of people don't like the wheel barrow exhausts, but mine in not too loud (IMHO) as it also has a silencer half way down the main pipe before it splits to the two silencers before exiting.

2 hours ago, PeaTear said:

Just had a look on canleys website, both support brackets missing.  I love other people's half assed attempts to do things and this car is full of them 🤬, but I'll get them sorted albeit slowly

Which car is it? The Mk4/1500 page has this diagram, which is the intermediate and front ones.

spitfire1500_plate_1k_02l.jpg

On my old TriumphTune wheelbarrow on the Vitesse it had cotton reel rubber mounts bolted through the boot floor,i think it definitely needs a flexible mount to cope with the movement.

I removed mine due to low ground clearance and had a custom single box system made.

Steve

1 hour ago, Anglefire said:

Which car is it? The Mk4/1500 page has this diagram, which is the intermediate and front ones.

spitfire1500_plate_1k_02l.jpg

So that's...

- The downpipe flange attaching to the manifold

- a clamp fixing the Y-piece to the engine back-plate (later vehicles only)

- a hanger on the pipe join supporting it at the gearbox

- a hanger on the diff nose

22 minutes ago, Steve P said:

On my old TriumphTune wheelbarrow on the Vitesse it had cotton reel rubber mounts bolted through the boot floor,i think it definitely needs a flexible mount to cope with the movement.

I removed mine due to low ground clearance and had a custom single box system made.

Steve

Funnily enough both boxes show signs of road rash, but that could have been my father in laws steep driveway