Paint suppliers

PeaTear

I'm relying on some local knowledge.  Im finding it difficult to find somewhere to mix paint near home, but I'm working over in Bolton next week and was wondering if anyone can offer suggestions of a paint supplier in the area or somewhere just off the M6 between Bolton and Cairnryan

Thanks in advance

For mail order I was recommended Brighton Autopaints, by a restorer. They do the whole range. They are showing at the Restoration show in March at the NEC. If you are going, may be worth contacting them. I will probably order my paint from them along with 2k primer (to brush on) and other bits and pieces. Free carriage over (I think) £100.

2 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

There used to be a supplier at Mallusk who would scan your car's bodywork and mix paint to match. I'll check if he's still in business; but there are bound to be others about. I had paint mixed once by Halfords; never again.

They don't do paint mixing anymore. If you could find out that would be greatly appreciated.

2 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

club shop do a good deal but theres courier costs to add 

post them a part and it can be scanned and returned 

Pete

That's part of the problem.  A lot of the courier costs are extortionate to northern ireland

I posed the question last year about the relative qualities of various brands/suppliers of paint. The club paint shown on the photo has an 'Autopaints International' label, which, if I remember correctly, is a franchise. Autopaints top coat was used on my car and it went very brittle and flaked, but that was over 30 years ago and may have been due to poor application. Getting to the bottom of who sells what, and what quality is always difficult. I am still open to advice

7 hours ago, Badwolf said:

For mail order I was recommended Brighton Autopaints, by a restorer. They do the whole range. They are showing at the Restoration show in March at the NEC. If you are going, may be worth contacting them. I will probably order my paint from them along with 2k primer (to brush on) and other bits and pieces. Free carriage over (I think) £100.

I can't see them on the listing? (EDIT, the restoration show directory only has 2018 exhibitors listed, so I am probably wrong!) And to be honest I am surprised. They are 5 minutes from me, and are brilliant at colour matching (they don't bother with the computerised matching, it is simply not accurate, but they have a magician who does it by eye and 40 years experience)

Likewise nothing special about their range of paints.

If I need much, I buy from Jawel paints, but it always 2k which may not be what you are after.

I've used Jawel, I'd say OK but compared to clubshop paint they were very low on solids (very watery). I needed some for the Mini which was Surf Blue but there are two types. I took a wheel arch to Turners Trade Paints in Cannock who said leave it with me and i'll sort it. A few days later I went back and collected a PERFECT match. As with Clive, a man mixed it by eye and took the time to wait for it to dry to ensure it dried the same colour. I won't go anywhere else now.

This obviously relates to rattle cans.

Resident in East Sussex I have used Autopaints Brighton, on recommendation from Clive.

Of the service and products I have received from them so far, they are certainly 100%

With reference to the TSSC Club Shop paints, I purchased some Forest Green (Rootes BRG) for my Alpine whilst I was doing some work on the boot area of the car. The match was absolutely spot-on, you could not tell the difference, so it's NOT just Triumph colours that the club shop do well with, it really does stretch further afield - well done HQ.

As Adrian has mentioned, this is purely rattle can related.

My decision between Autopaints and the club shop, would be solely on total price.

Regards.

Richard.

7 hours ago, Badwolf said:

Clive - Sorry, on the 2019 list for the NEC Restoration Show it lists as 'Autopaints Brighton' not 'Brighton Autopaints', sorry for the error.

http://www.necrestorationshow.com/exhibitor-list-0

Ah, I was looking at the "restoration show" which turns out is the stoneleigh one. My error, too many shows!

I really am surprised, as they don't come over as a company with national aspirations. They have a corner shop that was a "happy shopper" place until recently.  The guy who does the paint matching knows quite a few words, but they all have 4 letters...(luckily this does not detract from his skill)

I have used them on and off for 30 years, and they are handy. But I always pick thinners up at shows, and as I said, for a respray I buy from Jawel. about 40% saving I reckon.

As to jawel paints, I have found their premixed paints to be a tad thin, but at £55 for 5L of 2k I can't complain too much. But their "mixed to code" stuff is much better.Did my spit in yellow (which is always difficult to get right) out mini in speedwell blue with OEW roof-lovely, and my Toledo in cheap Post Office red. That was thinner, but not a big issue, just an extra coat. This was all 2k stuff. Celly may be different kettle of fish.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the feedback. My car is very much a mongrel so in some cases I'm not sure what was original. Photographs from the original owner show paint which is like signal red but the plate shows it should be pimento. Some of the panels when stripped back for the original respray look like they had been over-sprayed but underneath there was some sort of lacquer. You will have to wait for the 'historians' of the group to put in their experience. From my view, the answer is not sure, but I have passed on what info I can. The paint supplier is interesting as they are reasonably close to me, but I may end up ordering my paint from the club shop and, if possible, collecting it and other parts from the March NEC show.