Vitesse air filter box

68vitesse

Anyone got an idea what temperature the air filter box gets to on a Vitesse, the seal has degraded.

Available from the usual suspects, but when I bought a new cooling system overflow bottle found the top deformed as plastic was not same specification as old one.

Regards

Paul

The original Overflow bottles were indeed plastic, probably made of Polyurethane, and the top was aluminium. It may be worth looking around an autojumble and cleaning up a second hand one. If you have a tubular exhaust manifold this may cause heat problems.

Dave    

Johny,

It came out very well, degreased, de-stained and as flexible as it was before. Also did the windscreen washer bottle, made of the same stuff.

John,

My dishwasher is cold fill only so obviously has heating elements, innards get pretty hot, open the door half way through and instant facial steam up, quite invigorating. 

Doug

My bottle is "down on dirty", though I prefer this. Shows the car has a life/had a life. (and not just because, I really can't be be bothered to detail the engine bay anyway).  I find "show queens" a bit boring with often no story, since they became queens. Just personal preferences I guess which good, as gives diversity. If every car was like mine, then that would be a bit boring.

Dave  

Edited by daverclasper
  • Haha 1

On 10/01/2019 at 10:05, 68vitesse said:

Anyone got an idea what temperature the air filter box gets to on a Vitesse, the seal has degraded.

Available from the usual suspects, but when I bought a new cooling system overflow bottle found the top deformed as plastic was not same specification as old one.

Regards

Paul

I'm a bit mystified by the wording of the original post; I assumed it was the air filter box seal that had gone, but we seem to have ended up with overflow bottle caps, and I'm trying to work out the link / cause?

Anyway like Doug I put my bottle(s) through the dishwasher, they came out the same stained yellow colour but slightly cleaner. It appears the only solution is a new one, which ends up the same dirty yellowy-brown within a few years.

56 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I thought at one point it was the heat from the air filters that had warped the overflow bottle, but I think now he means that the modern day replacement seals, as in the overflow bottle top, are not as good as the originals. Yes?

BTW anyone seen snow yet?

Yes, top of the bottle not bottle top, as in my original post, picture shows damage.

Cause, probably "quality" of repro parts as not had an overheating problem even in the very hot weather last summer.

Standard cast manifold.

Only snow I've seen has been on Christmas cards if I'm still able to call the recent festival that.

Regards

Paul

IMG_20190111_135222.jpg

43 minutes ago, 68vitesse said:

Yes, top of the bottle not bottle top, as in my original post, picture shows damage.

Cause, probably "quality" of repro parts as not had an overheating problem even in the very hot weather last summer.

Standard cast manifold.

Only snow I've seen has been on Christmas cards if I'm still able to call the recent festival that.

Regards

Paul

IMG_20190111_135222.jpg

Thanks Paul, gotya now.

Last time I saw that sort of thing was a petrol tank where the breather had failed and the pump sucked it almost completely flat; I trust that's not the case with this?

The grommet at the top has to let air back in as the engine sucks the water back again; possibly if the bottle was hot and thereby softened it may distort like that?