Mk 3 Spitfire Brake Upgrade

s99sdp

Hi Clive. I know its wrong to compare them to modern day cars but I was wondering if anything could be done to help give more confidence to the braking. 

I was assuming there may be a bigger disc /caliper kit?

SP

A spitfire with brakes in good condition should stop you very well indeed.

As Doug mentions, brake pad choice is important. Modern friction material has a lower coefficient of friction (not so "grippy") so such pads are not great on out cars. The Mintex 1144 (1144 being the important bit) are as close as you will get to the original spec brake material, and are very god indeed. Part number is MGB533 1144  

If the callipers are all in good fettle with the pistons moving freely, they will be fine. If the brake discs look at all "iffy" then replace, they are cheap and no need for anything special.

Check the brake master master cylinder. It should have stamped on the side the bore, it should be 5/8 or 0.65. If it has been replaced with a different bore (0.70 or worse 0.75) then that will make the brakes feel very wooden/lifeless

At the rear a check that the brakes are all working correctly, and adjusted (disconnect the handbrake cable, adjust the brakes, then reconnect the cable)

Lastly, if that is all OK, it may be that the change for a modern car with a big servo is too much of a surprise. Then you may want to consider adding a servo to assist your right leg. 

"Just" fitting a big brake kit will not change the effort required to stop the car, it will just stop faster and do it with less danger of brake fade coming down Stelvio pass.....especially if vented.

I agree with Doug and Clive. From by point of view the brakes work well on the Spit as it's quite a light car. You will find bigger disc/calipers will require great effort on the pedal and may require a servo. 

Sounds as if the brakes may require an overhaul and a change of pad type.

Dave 

SP,

Here's another to say that your brakes may need renovating.      Another related problem with classics is that the tyres become too old before they wear out, through low mileage.    TYres hould not be used if they are more than six or seven years old - they get hard and lose their grip, as the rubber ages.   It's true of humans, why not tyres?!

John

1 hour ago, JohnD said:

TYres hould not be used if they are more than six or seven years old - they get hard and lose their grip, as the rubber ages.   It's true of humans, why not tyres?!

Fully agree with that, but when does this getting hard start with me? :lol:

db

3 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

Fully agree with that, but when does this getting hard start with me? :lol:

db

I noticed that, and decided there must be something in the Northern Water that is very different to what we get. Maybe they add more than just fluoride?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JohnD said:

SP,

Here's another to say that your brakes may need renovating.      Another related problem with classics is that the tyres become too old before they wear out, through low mileage.    TYres hould not be used if they are more than six or seven years old - they get hard and lose their grip, as the rubber ages.   It's true of humans, why not tyres?!

John

Hello All

I did some work on an MGB recently (for our lady group leader it was her 1st car!)

The tyres were 3 digit date code(**9) which made them 20 years old!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But they would have passed an MOT no problem?

I fitted a set of Falkens and a cheaper one for a spare as recommended by Clive and others about £270 the lot

Now I know when she puts the brakes on in a hurry they will stop her(or I could have fitted nice shiny bumpers like some do?)

Roger

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all the comments, I'd forgotten I'd posted this question (I didn't flick the 'notify me of replies' switch), please accept my apologies.

We'd already replaced the pads and the car is sitting on brand new tyres so a couple of your suggestions are already covered. We bled the brakes again at the weekend and tightened everything up properly but I still fell the brakes could be a little better.

Its more than safe to drive so I think I'll complete the other interior work Ive started on and return to the brakes in a couple of weeks. New discs wont hurt at all and refurbishing the callipers at the same time is only going to benefit me.

I'm not a mechanic at all so all these bits that I push myself to do are a bit of a challenge as I panic a little that I'm creating myself the perfect death trap although I haven't it quite yet. :)

SP