Wheels for my GT6 Mk2

rulloyd

I'm planning to fit alloys on my restored GT6 Mk2, probably lookalike minilites.  Does anybody have a view on a recommended wheel size  (standard being 13 x 4.5 I believe) and Tyre size (standard 155 x13) please?

Many thanks for any advice.

Rich

5.5 x 13 minilites on my Vitesse with 165/80 tyres although will probably be forced to fit 175/70 in the near future as the others are getting hard to find. Note that the overall diameter is bigger than standard so the engine revs are less and the speedo reads a little low. Also the wider you go the heavier the steering gets at slow speeds....

2 hours ago, rulloyd said:

Thanks Johny & Clive.  Do 175/70s fit comfortably on a 5.5 rim?  I wonder if they might rub on the bulkhead at full lock?

I've not heard of Dunlop lp923.  Whats the big deal?!

Many thanks

Fit really nicely, look correct. Rubbing "may" happen, depends on how the car is built I reckon, even from the factory. Some do, some don't. Mine did on one side, but full lock is ridiculous and best never used (to the extent I have reduced full lock on my current car, not because of rubbing but because it is useless and causes issues like tyre scrubbing etc)

lp923 are the 5 1/2J wheels that look like std steel wheels. Period accessory, but add enough to give a great look without the bling of alloys. If that makes sense. Very hard to find now, and hence not cheap. But they look fantastic. (of course that is my opinion, but shared by those with exquisite taste!)

Rich

If you decide to go for steel wheels rather than the inevitable Minilight alloys, Rimmers are now stocking 5.5J 13" plain steel wheels. They're not cheap, but at least would not have been kerbed, bent or badly corroded etc, unlike a lot of s/h steel wheels offered on Ebay .

Gav

I run 5.5J Dunlop D1's on my Vitesse (as Gary did with his) and I fitted Dunlop Street Response 2 tyres 165/70/13 - absolutely spot-on IMHO.

Have attached a small file photo of a GT6 with Dunlop D1's - apologies the image is not bigger.

Regards.

Richard.

DUNLOP D1 - GT6.jpg

17 minutes ago, rulloyd said:

Thanks all.  Those D1's look great but the trouble is they look  modern even if they are not!  At least Minilites look dated somehow.

Anybody got an opinion on John Brown Wheels (ex Midland Wheels) copies?

I’ve got JBW on my Vitesse mk2 , excellent value and I’ve had no issues at all. Don’t forget the alloys are wider than steels so it’s best to upgrade the studs . I’ve changed the studs to Freelander studs .

Paul 

253EF3E7-754F-4D4A-978F-68E634C1D071.thumb.jpeg.d706d7db5f1557131c39403a90e10f53.jpeg

4 minutes ago, rulloyd said:

Hi Paul.  Car looks great. I see you have Black minilites rather than the usual silver.  My car is also Valencia Blue.  Happy with the black?  Do they look better in your opinion (taking a non biased view!).  Thanks

I think you know the answer to that one 😉 I’ve had the wheels for 3 years now and the black is as good as day 1 

Paul 

Ive had silver minilites on mine for years now (cant remember where I got them now) and the only problem was corrosion under the laquer appearing within months. They were part painted and part clear laquered so I sent them back and they were painted all over under warranty. Since then theyve lasted really well so I dont know why the manufacturer made them with the laquered part in the first place....