Is a servo a good idea on a Vitesse

iana

52 minutes ago, johny said:

No sorry miles in a modern dont count so youve had your first warning🤗

Surely all those miles in a modern would just prove how much more fun the Triumph is and encourage Anglefire to get out more in it?

The case for the defence rests, m'lud. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have the 1.9 version, I fitted to my toledo. Seems OK, and certainly a chep kit. Been in use 3 years so far, all OK.

The manifold often has a blanked take-off, otherwise it will need a hole drilled and tapped. You don't want a T for a servo.

• Thanks 1

These 3 servos are all the same except that the boost ratios (and correspondingly tank diameters) are different. The first is definitely the biggest at 2.3:1 while the second is 1.9:1 and the last is probably the same although there is also a smaller 1.65:1 available. All of them come with a non return valve which is usually in the plastic connector where the vac hose goes onto the  tank - they must have these so that you can still get assisted braking (for a short while) after stopping the engine. You need to decide which ratio you want as its possible to be unhappy with too much boost using a unit that is designed for heavier faster cars.

I cant see a  problem splitting the vac take off point but there should be instructions with the unit explaining the best set up or maybe Clive can explain the downside.....

There was a post from 69Vitesse (Paul) who'd come up with a natty solution to connecting the servo / breather to the same point, unfortunately I can find the fittings - Ive located a single connector and fixing.

I think the 1.9 is the better option from reviews I seen, just wish I could remember what was on the GT6.

Look at page one, towards the bottom, of this thread I used 16mm banjo fittings one with a 10mm the other with a 12mm takeoff. The thread in my manifold is 5/8 UNF I had to make the banjo bolt from a suitable setscrew, the banjo takeoff was to match the different servo and smith valve hose sizes I had.

Seem to remember the servo is 1.9-1 but it was a few years ago, still in use and working on silicone brake fluid.

Quick look on eBay the banjo's are available but as said you will have to make, adapt, the bolt.

Regards

Paul

Edited by 68vitesse
Added about eBay.

I have a T piece off the manifold, one feed to my servo, one to my vacuum gauge, works fine. I have added an external one way valve to the servo, as the one in the vacuum chamber is not very effective. Servo made in China! :lol:  My external one way valve is off a Jaguar, chrome and shiny, very nice!

Doug

The price of these has certainly come down a lot in the last few years, a 1.9 unit is only 67pounds delivered on ebay now! If only they didnt look such a mess when installed in our engine bays - I think Id be tempted to put the battery in the boot and then mount one in its place.....

yes thanks I saw that however Id like to keep my current battery size which takes up the full tray. Also I cant believe it'd be much work to install one of those universal battery trays in the boot and run a beefy cable or two back to the solenoid....

8 hours ago, johny said:

The price of these has certainly come down a lot in the last few years, a 1.9 unit is only 67pounds delivered on ebay now! If only they didnt look such a mess when installed in our engine bays - I think Id be tempted to put the battery in the boot and then mount one in its place.....

Johny, just spent an hour pondering where I’d fit the servo and I can now see where you’re coming from. Need to think outside the box as Pete’s option looks neat but this isn’t the right time for me do all those changes, not sure I like the servo over the brake / clutch cylinder as it will make maintenance harder and it looks cluttered. I thought there’d be loads of room / options but space seems at a premium. I’ve seen one fitted at the side of the fuel pump with a bracket off the bulkhead. Need to find someone local with a servo fitted and do a few measurements. 

yes where ever it goes its not going to be pretty. Ive gone to a bigger bore master cylinder 0.75" which makes the pedal need even more of a shove but with asbestos pads so the braking is now pretty good. However I still wonder about a servo as its reported that in some accidents (admittedly involving modern cars) drivers reacted quick enough and could have stopped in time but just didnt brake as hard as they could have done.....

7 minutes ago, johny said:

yes where ever it goes its not going to be pretty

Johny, It's no uglier or prettier than anything else under the bonnet! :lol: I sense a clear case of prejudice, the servo police will be after you. 

11 minutes ago, johny said:

could have stopped in time but just didnt brake as hard as they could have done.....

Natures way of pruning the gene pool.

db

Similar to Pete's installation I opted for removing the battery mounting brackets and moved them as far over as I could. No need to reduce the size of battery.

Really pleased with the reduction in pedal effort.

Cheers,

Keith

IMG_1345.JPG

IMG_1373.JPG

IMG_1376.JPG