Best mechanical fan gt6 mk3

Dolomitejohn

Not tried it, then dont nok it,  as I got

ne de mist problemo,s

nee cabin smells,, if yer get,n engine nasties, then yer engines no as it should be,

sort it,  by fix,n oil leaks,or keep,n yer engine clean, ye lot doo wesh yer engines regularly I hope, !!

and ne extra noise I can tell of either,

extra pros,

stops one wiper flapping at warp 1 plus, even whenst  wipers at rest

also stops yer bonnet flap,n at W1+

also keeps yer car frae going light an vague steering at W1+

If  folks seal aint touch,n the bonnet, then  either yer bonnets no fitted right,

or yer seal is Kaput

never run a seal in 30 odd yer, no gonna start noo an go back t, overheated fuel lines, ruff running in hot weather,

engine conk,n oot in slow traffic,   I even made lip on bulkheed taper forads t,45 ish degs too, so as t,mek gap bigger.

never  suffered heat problems after a few wee mods., unlike alot of folk,woe have well documented them on forums.

PI,s are  moer effected than carbs , { TR5/6s as well as a GT  PI }

why do folk fit carb sheilds on engines , as if air can get oot, they wont suffer.

Vits are maybe a wee bit diff to a GT,or Herald/Spitty as no much room at the front,

as another big no no is the lack of a working shroud roond the rad,

as  a fair bit oft air is going aroond rad, no thru it,

esp if yer rad cores  are full of squashed up wee beasties block,n the flow of air,

or half yer fins are no there, or are actually block,n air flow them selves !!

the other thing is the electric fans, most ev a massive big flat motor bit int middle,

this stops air frae getting either thru rad if at front, or stops it  get,n oot of rad if fitted t,engine side.

most moderns ev alot wider rads, so this aint a prob,

but whenst motors tek,n say a 6 inch circle up, then it becomes a problemo on a narrow rad.

Another prob i see wid our cars,, bigger engined type suffer moer so,  as theres  little reserve capacity whenst its hot befoer temp rises fast,

is they got an electric fan fitted, , but DONT switch it on whenst coming into slow traffic,or stationary traffic,

esp on a warm day,   untill its too late, an their engines conk oot.

Switch it on, it,ll shift all the hot air int bonnet area, , as can be seen by the gale coming frae me vents an bonnet  ends

only saying what ive actually found oot, and use.

if it wer,nt any good, it would,nt be used,

Butt, if just pottering aboot, a 5 mile run, 30-40, an 60 mph tops, dont bother as standard set up is ok

• Confused 1

Electric fans are rubbish.

want an old classic to have starting and overheating problems? 

Fit a ‘more efficient’ Electric fan.

electric fans on moderns provide very little cooling, nearly all of it comes from the much bigger radiators now fitted.

I never understand the electric/mechanical fan argument! At standstill or very low speeds, which is normally where theres cooling problems, a decent electric fan is closer to the rad, turns far faster than the engine at tickover, is bigger in diameter and has a far more efficient blade design - its a no brainer.....

Assume, as GT6M suggests, its incorrect control of electric fans that gives rise to their poor reputation with some people. Mine runs on after the engine stops so hot restarts are never a problem.

What ever you fit you must keep an air flow in the engine compartment at all times to avoid the snags of heating the fueling 

Fast temperature controll of the ambient , not just the coolant is important 

Im a engine driven 'fan'   my Vit6 on carbs +unwrapped 631   + 7 blade plastic fan ,  + std air box  +2 "intake tubes would idle for an hour on its mot and never miss a beat

I agree some   elec motors block off more then the solve  and many have a lower cfm.  Theres a big difference between a 

'must  have ' and one that is sufficient.

Pete

Have had an electric fan fitted to my MK1 Vitesse for some years, works well even during last summer when the black vinyl seats got to hot to sit on comfortably, temperature in the thirties centigrade. Never had a problem restarting when hot, half throttle and turn the key, fan control by a revotec unit in the bottom radiator hose.

Regards

Paul

4 hours ago, johny said:

I never understand the electric/mechanical fan argument!

Me neither, I fitted one once many years ago to a Spitfire simply because everyone else was doing it and later removed it, have used nothing but engine fan ever since in all my cars and not had any problems. Uprated radiator core in the GT6, full width radiator in the Heralds, and no bother at all.

Obviously if theres no temperature problem with a mechanical why change? And if the problem is at higher speeds I dont think any fan, mech or elec, is going to help as something else must be wrong. However if you suffer high temperatures in traffic or on restarting AND all the rest of the cooling system is as good as you can get it (plus of course your fuel mix isnt too lean) I think a good elec fan set up must help for the reasons I put earlier.....

48 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Me neither, I fitted one once many years ago to a Spitfire simply because everyone else was doing it and later removed it, have used nothing but engine fan ever since in all my cars and not had any problems. Uprated radiator core in the GT6, full width radiator in the Heralds, and no bother at all.

As you say you uprated the radiators, how do you uprate a radiator in a Vitesse unless you go aluminium or bodge a modern to fit, its like a ducks a** under the bonnet.

Regards

Paul

well somebody was doing 4 rows fitted into 3 row vit rads on ebay but I think you need to be careful because to me it looked like they had just widened the spacing to allow staggered rows. Its the total number of tubes (as long as theyre still the same size of course) that counts and while the original had 1/2" spacing modern 'uprated' cores are 1cm so rather than the 3 x 30 they should now have more like 3 x 40 tubes. Theres also the cooling fins which can be more densely packed so all in all giving more cooling surface....

My GT6 has a standard radiator and original mechanical fan and doesn't suffer any overheating problems.

My Vitesse has standard radiator and Kenlowe electric fan and only suffers from hot soak (engine off for ten minutes then re-start)

When I had my Stag it was fine on the mechanical fan until the viscous coupling failed, then was fine on an electric fan. It wasn't happy in traffic with no fan fitted...

5 minutes ago, johny said:

well I think a few of things have changed in ~50 years which they probably didnt test for including the deterioration of some of our cars cooling circuits.....

Isn't that the core (oops!) of the debate, the standard of the cooling system - properly maintained or suffering from age?

OK traffic density is far higher now in general than it was then, so maybe the cars spend much more time at idle than in the past hence the risk of overheating.

Reading the posts it seems that all the various combinations of fan & radiator work, or not, for each case. It appears to me there is no "right or wrong" combination just the search for what suits each driver and car.

Good luck to each.

I know my case doesn't really qualify as I only have the humble 13/60. I try to keep the cooling system clean and have carried out an upgrade just in case. I have fitted the "export" fan i.e. the 7 bladed plastic one. 

3 hours ago, 68vitesse said:

As you say you uprated the radiators, how do you uprate a radiator in a Vitesse unless you go aluminium or bodge a modern to fit, its like a ducks a** under the bonnet.

Regards

Paul

I think - think - it was an upgraded and modernised three row core with better pipe and fin design in my GT6, built into the original casing; it's worked well in the fifteen years since and I've never seen the need for anything else bar replacing the early metal fan with a later GT6 replacement.

Colin You are totally correct. I have one fitted to my gt6 along with a standard mechanical fan. It does not get past about half way on the temp gauge unless it's a  very very hot day and then not much further 

Aidan

On 11/03/2019 at 13:27, johny said:

well somebody was doing 4 rows fitted into 3 row vit rads on ebay but I think you need to be careful because to me it looked like they had just widened the spacing to allow staggered rows. Its the total number of tubes (as long as theyre still the same size of course) that counts and while the original had 1/2" spacing modern 'uprated' cores are 1cm so rather than the 3 x 30 they should now have more like 3 x 40 tubes. Theres also the cooling fins which can be more densely packed so all in all giving more cooling surface....

If you are packing more tubes and cooling fins into the same space you must be reducing the air flow, so does this mean larger cooling surface but less air so back where you started?.

Regards

Paul

well yes eventually if you keep packing more in youll reduce airflow too much. However modern design and manufacturing techniques now allow closer to the optimum ratio of cooling surface area and airflow. Somethings have improved in 50 years.....