Best mechanical fan gt6 mk3

Dolomitejohn

Hi everyone. 

Whilst my gt6 mk3 is in bits I am wondering on which is the best mechanical fan for shifting air. 

I know the spitfires in usa had a viscous unit and fan and that dolomite sprints and some 2000 2500 have them. But what about gt6? I quite like the viscous fans. I think they sound quite cool ( no pun intended)   but are also smoother and more efficient than a fixed to crank pulley job. 

Thoughts? 

Cheers all. 

John 

I know what you mean bout efficient, they have a "max speed" so don't sap as much power.

But in all honesty I don't think the extra costs are worth the benefit. the plastic fixed fan works well and I doubt you would notice the noise difference. Economy difference would be too tiny to measure.

13 hours ago, johny said:

Mon Joo!! I thought I had the only one of those, and it was a one-off.... definitely not safe for fingers.

Fan.JPG.dff70f496c5c85b7c34fccd3940d0baa.JPG

As I understand it theyre no better than any other mechanical fans in terms of air moved but as the engine revs higher the force on the blades from moving air increases and tends to flatten them out so they move less air and consume less engine power. Effectively they move more air when rotating slowly which, as in a traffic jam, is when the engine needs more cooling cos theres less cooling effect from the movement of the vehicle. However Ive never seen any test results showing the power or fuel saving......

6 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

As most of the cars on carbs need a good air flow under the bonnet to keep the ambient temperature more stable 

Im not a fan of electric

Having a engine driven fan will be  more  suited to long periods of hot idle in traffic etc.

Pete

Hi Pete,

That's a valid point especially when the electric fan/s are the low power types where the total power consumption is less than 150 watts or so.
Most of the ones on EBay are marked at 200% of true power. The 120-watt ones for example only pull 5 amps. 

An additional bonus of a correctly sized and positioned e-fan is that it can run when the engine is not running, helping keep things cool prior to a restart.

To respond to the original question: A viscous coupled fan would be my choice. 

Cheers,

Iain.

Yes, a late 2000 saloon type. It also has more blades. It bolts to a heavy adaptor ring that then bolts to the crank. 

Disappointingly there was no improvements in cooling when stuck in heavy traffic. That was in the hot summer of 1996.

No overheating with either fan just an increase reading on the temp gauge, the same result on standard and the 2000 fan.

Dave

On 03/03/2019 at 19:56, dave.vitesse said:

Yes, a late 2000 saloon type. It also has more blades. It bolts to a heavy adaptor ring that then bolts to the crank. 

I had one of the earlier ones, no idea why it was in that colour though... nor what I ever did with it!

DSCF0056.JPG.fc17c3783797fabf138e432531689333.JPG