Vitesse steering wheel

All Vitesse 6 were fitted as standard with the two spoke black steering wheel which is the same as 1200/1360 Herald, Spit 4 and Spit Mk2 . All 2 Litre models were fitted with the three spoke type. The  2 Litre was introduced in Oct 1966. The same steering wheel was also fitted to the Spit Mk3 and TR4.

There was an optional wood rimmed wheel on Vitesse 6, 2 Litre models, Heralds, Spits (1-111) and TR4.

Dave

1 hour ago, johny said:

was the 3 spoke always leather because some look very similar but seem to be plastic?

I think the Vitesse would have had a leather wrap around it but the Mk3 Spitfire wheel didn't. The actual rim thus exposed is hard varnished - looks like plastic.

2 hours ago, johny said:

was the 3 spoke always leather because some look very similar but seem to be plastic? Then theres the fabled leather seats that some Vitesses have, was this an optional extra or after market thing?

Johnny,

In my thirty-something years of Vitesse ownership I have only seen one Vitesse with genuine factory-fitted leather seats.  The owner had the original bill of sale and because it dated back to the 1960s, the cost was only a few pounds.  I am sure others must exist but they are extremely rare.  There are of course plenty of Vitesses now with leather seats - either after-market covers or conversions.  Mine are black leather from an MGF.

Tom

The wooden steering wheel was a Triumph option extra and made by Formula for Standard Triumph i.e.  Stanpart number 307245. The first picture is this wheel fitted to my Vitesse 6 in around 1970. The second picture is the same wheel fitted to my present Vitesse.

The Les Leston version of the wooden steering wheel was only fitted to the Bond Equip cars, it's basically the same wheel but is stamped with letters LL.

As standard the three spoke steering wheel (fitted to the 2 Litre models) should be leather covered i.e. Stanpart number 308073 16" Dia (Leather Covered) and 308229 15" Dia (Leather Covered). My understanding is the same as Rob the Spit Mk111 did not have the leather cover. The third picture shows the leather covered wheel.

Leather seats were available on the Vitesse. Like Tom (in some 50+ years) I have only seen one original. Very rare. 

Dave

Vitesse Reg Sec.

img027.jpg

DSC03163.JPG

Steering Wheels 1.jpg

2 hours ago, daverclasper said:

The "fag packet etc holder? ", dished bit on top of gearbox cover, always have those 3 screws. What are they for?. 

The small centre screw holds in a plate that the two outer screws screw into. Don't remove all three screws otherwise the plate will drop off the back of the gearbox tunnel.

The two outer screws are a fixing point for a lower bracket which is part of the original radio fixing kit. Dave

1410307826_Fit1.jpg.5d1a025e69d198d731fd1c1ad3581b60.jpg

4 minutes ago, ahebron said:

Thats just great.

I start reading an article about a Vitesse steering wheel and it ends about the radio bracket that I had no idea existed.

Learn something everyday.

Adrian

I know what you mean. There are threads that start which don't have seem to have any interest for me, but like this one you don't know where they are going to end up - a bit like when I go for a drive in my Triumph 💨🔍

• Haha 1

I started this thread as I was not happy with my skinny 2 spoke original wheel in my Vitesse 6. I really like the look of the wooden one above, but in the interim have fitted a leather Mounty 14" wheel which I happened to have in the garage to see what it is like to drive with a slightly smaller wheel. Initial feedback is that it is ok.

Bob

That sounds like the book setup. Steering is a little heavy when parking; this is normal. I generally run my tyres at 30PSI all round, which makes the steering slightly less heavy without adversely affecting handling (IME). I have an aftermarket wood-rimmed wheel but I don't recall right now what make or diameter.