What happened to Castrol LM grease?

mark powell

To go back on topic...

I've been told that the Marketing Department at Castrol decided that they would change the branding from Castrol LM Grease to Castrol Multipurpose Grease to increase market penetration and sales.  It backfired somewhat as everyone knew what LM was and never considered that Multipurpose was the same product under a new name.  When sales bombed, Castrol discontinued Multipurpose rather than going back to calling it LM.

10 minutes ago, KevinR said:

To go back on topic...

I've been told that the Marketing Department at Castrol decided that they would change the branding from Castrol LM Grease to Castrol Multipurpose Grease to increase market penetration and sales.  It backfired somewhat as everyone knew what LM was and never considered that Multipurpose was the same product under a new name.  When sales bombed, Castrol discontinued Multipurpose rather than going back to calling it LM.

What a stupid thing to do......How stupid can they get?

Tony.

10 hours ago, KevinR said:

To go back on topic...

Question answered!  Thanks!

10 hours ago, poppyman said:

What a stupid thing to do......How stupid can they get?

There's a very pretty Leyland sports car in the Gaydon museum (can't remember the name! :wacko:). The write up says it was so well received that Leyland feared it would hit the sales of it's other sports cars so scrapped it! There's stupid! 

Doug

• Like 1

14 hours ago, poppyman said:

Very well said Colin :)  Have you ever thought of a career in politics? :) :) 

Tony. 

13 hours ago, KevinR said:

Colin, Technically I think you are actually UKish, not British, as its the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland :)

Not a chance Tony - I've seen too many disagreements caused by either religion or politics, so I avoid both like the plague.

Kevin - at times I've no idea what I am, but most times it doesn't matter... until as you say it puts the price of postage up. I'll call myself a Triumph driver, and that will cover all. 

2 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Not a chance Tony - I've seen too many disagreements caused by either religion or politics, so I avoid both like the plague.

I was joking there Colin as i think we chatted about it in the past :)  as you say religion and politics are the stuff of demons and should be avoided at all costs!!!   A bit like a Triumph that starts to give you grief.......

Tony.