What happened to Castrol LM grease?

mark powell

Gone!    

It took me by surprise when I ventured out to replace my old pot of Castrol LM ,   nowhere to be found. Halfrauds didn't even have any general purpose grease.....

I've had to order a tub of Granville multi purpose online...

Granville make and sell excellent products, Mark - you will have no issues with their stuff and I tend to use more of their products each year.

Their multi-purpose grease is obtainable at £5.74 for a 500g tin; also cartridge is an option.

Regards.

Richard.

All of the old stalwarts are disappearing. I had trouble last year finding EP90 oil, and only the THIRD motorfactors I visited this morning had any grease suitable for bearings. I was out this morning briefly trying to find M12 spring washers and flat washers - nope. 

It appears the standard of home mechanicing these days is fitting a new air freshener, or if you're really hands-on, a nicely scented screenwash.

6 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

It appears the standard of home mechanicing these days is fitting a new air freshener, or if you're really hands-on, a nicely scented screenwash.

Interesting, do you think there would be a market for pine scented Adblue? 😀

1 hour ago, Chris A said:

Interesting, do you think there would be a market for pine scented Adblue? 😀

No, but I think a prosecco-scented screenwash would suit a lot of drivers these days.

Besides I like the smell of EP90 in the morning.

napalm.jpg.8b32681dfe36965b616bac6d397bcb77.jpg

DO YOU SMELL THAT, SON? THAT GASOLINE SMELL? Means your fuel pipe is leaking.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

Colin, for nuts, washers and bolts I generally go to engineering suppliers they seem quite happy to supply very small quantities. Generally I buy six if I only need 1 or 2 then I put the spares into stock for next time. Cheaper than motor factors, halford, etc. as well.

I have been in these places when someone from a small workshop is ordering stock for a job and they may only ask for  a couple items.

For example of cost I was after 10 mm studding to make and secure boards to make concrete wall capping, 3 mtr for £3 while B and Q over £2 for a mtr.

And they are very helpful with good advice.

Graham

1 hour ago, Graham C said:

Colin, for nuts, washers and bolts I generally go to engineering suppliers they seem quite happy to supply very small quantities.

My local hardware shop closed last year, they had bins and drawers of bits covering an entire wall and you just picked out the ones you wanted; I didn't even have to know the proper name and often just matched like for like. I would go to the counter with a handful of nuts and bolts and pay about £1. 

All three motorfactors in my area had either an empty drawer where the size I wanted should be (no great demand for that size, apparrently!) or the one that did have some had them in packs of fifty, and I only need four... my next try is a place called Killeen Hardware, about twelve miles away, but they cater for tractors and trailers so should have the ones I need. They'll also have grease as farmers and tractor drivers use it - those guys are still very hands-on, thank goodness, and, even better, they're tighter than a duck's whatever so prices are very good.

Just back from Killeen Hardware, they refused to charge me for six locking washers... so I had to buy LM Grease as well as I couldn't very well walk off without buying anything. Places like this are becoming the last refuge of proper mechanics and hands-on owners.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Badwolf said:

Colin - From other postings, maybe you should buy up all the LM they have and sell it on to club members... with a small mark-up of course.  Do you do delivery from Ireland!!!???

He wont half charge you BW...... He wants to get his own back on us Brits for charging him extortionate rates from here :) :) 

Tony.

13 minutes ago, poppyman said:

He wont half charge you BW...... He wants to get his own back on us Brits for charging him extortionate rates from here :) :) 

Tony.

US BRITS??? Go wash your mouth out, Tony, we're Brits as well, and fighting hard to stay that way. I'll do a deal with you guys - next time you're over here, call in and I'll share what I have. Cheaper than posting!

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

we're Brits as well, and fighting hard to stay that way.

Don't worry Boris will sort it out. :o

I have half a tin of LM grease, must be 40 years old, is it supposed to be black? What do we use it on? Trunnions? :lol:

db

• Like 1

I couldn’t find any Castrol LM old stock locally so went with the Granville multi purpose to fill the grease gun, first impressions is that it seems runnier that the castrol lm Id got left in the old tub but I guessing that could be 25 years old but very good value at sub £4 a tub.

1 hour ago, Colin Lindsay said:

US BRITS??? Go wash your mouth out, Tony, we're Brits as well, and fighting hard to stay that way. I'll do a deal with you guys - next time you're over here, call in and I'll share what I have. Cheaper than posting!

I thought the Irish were proud of their heritage Colin? I once called a Welshman a Brit and he nearly swallowed his daffodill....

Tony.

• Haha 1

Aha that's the beauty of the wonderful conglomeration of races and religions that lives over here. I'm first and foremost an Ulsterman of the Ulster-Scots tradition, but I speak Irish and play traditional music yet I consider myself British; but don't call me Irish despite the fact that I'm born and bred over here and not on the mainland - unless it's Northern Irish. It's like the highland / lowland Scots thing, and although my ancestors came over here in the early 1800s we're technically still distinct from the native Irish, although nobody really gives a toss apart from the die-hards on both sides and the politicians. In sport it's Northern Ireland / Ulster first, then a toss-up between Team GB or Ireland, depending on who is doing better at the time....

I've been called British by the Irish, and Irish by the British, so have to find a niche / nationality somewhere in the middle. :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Aha that's the beauty of the wonderful conglomeration of races and religions that lives over here. I'm first and foremost an Ulsterman of the Ulster-Scots tradition, but I speak Irish and play traditional music yet I consider myself British; but don't call me Irish despite the fact that I'm born and bred over here and not on the mainland - unless it's Northern Irish. It's like the highland / lowland Scots thing, and although my ancestors came over here in the early 1800s we're technically still distinct from the native Irish, although nobody really gives a toss apart from the die-hards on both sides and the politicians. In sport it's Northern Ireland / Ulster first, then a toss-up between Team GB or Ireland, depending on who is doing better at the time....

I've been called British by the Irish, and Irish by the British, so have to find a niche / nationality somewhere in the middle. :)

Very well said Colin :)  Have you ever thought of a career in politics? :) :) 

Tony. 

2 minutes ago, poppyman said:

In sport it's Northern Ireland / Ulster first, then a toss-up between Team GB or Ireland, depending on who is doing better at the time....

So why is rugby ALL Ireland and they play two anthems? My son-in-law from the Republic won't tell me. I suspect it's expediency to get the best team to whap the English.

This is Boris's plan for a seamless Brexit border, you become an Irish rugby player for the few seconds it takes to cross the border, your all one for a moment, then you're on the other side. 

Doug

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Colin, Technically I think you are actually UKish, not British, as its the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland :)

Like you, I cant really work out why some companies charge an arm and a leg for posting to NI and some don't - is it a misunderstanding or a genuine attempt to rip one off ?

A couple of years ago I bought a fairly large shower tray from a company in NI, and the courier charge to get it to me in Cambridgeshire was very reasonable - a lot cheaper than if I'd ordered it from a company north of Inverness that had the same product.