indicator issue

iana

We were on our way to an area camping weekend, the car was finally running well. we got to about 10 mile from home and there was a burning smell in the car, this smell came from the flasher unit. Tried a borrowed spare and that started getting hot so remove it pronto. Came to start the car, it started but sounded wrong (like a near flat battery) Once started it ran well enough. All ideas of where to start welcomed (I will order a new flasher unit asap) The issue happen of when indicating left  so I will check for obvious earthing issues.

Struggling with enthusiasm to do anything on the car today, I put it in the garage yesterday and just shut the door. I’ll check the column area as I did fit a new radio last week so may have disturbed the wiring in that area, I think whatever the fault is it’s caused the flasher relay to burn out, it was really hot.

Pete, done that with a 10a fuse and it remained intact and the wires didn’t get warm and the lights illuminated.

Not tried it with the ignition running but would that make any difference?

Well, I’m completely baffled, the spare borrowed unit I tried on Thursday that started to get warm, worked absolutely fine today, only thing I can think is did I connect the wires properly. 

So I’m hoping the issue is a defective flasher unit. I will order a couple of spares plus the one I need.

there are  wide range of units al marked up with loading, some with repeater flashers will be marked  2x21 +5w

some just 2x21w   and so on , so the unit matches the usage wattage

and the smaller 4FL  5FL   7FL   all for different wattages     nothing is simple 

then throw in the ones  marked  for LED   very different  

Pete

I’m off up country on Thursday so will call into Fitchetts and get a replacement flasher relay and a spare, however I started to possibly over concern myself with not finding a fault (it could have been a faulty flasher that just fried it’s self due to age) and wondered if I put a second much lower rated fuse on the live feed would that safe guard the flasher unit? Also what amperage fuse would be require 10a? Or lower?

The 21 Watts per indicator bulb plus 2.2 watts for the dash bulb is for the running current. You have to allow for the instantaneous current when the voltage is first applied as the bulbs have a much lower resistance until the filaments warm up. An Anti-surge fuse is the answer, however these are not available for vehicle fuse boxes. Therefore you have to go for a higher rating.

21+21+2.2 Watts = 44.2Watts.   W/V  44.2/12 =3.7 Amps. 3.7 Amps is the running current. As Rob said 5 Amp is slightly marginal, this is due to the instantaneous start up current. I would use a 7 or 10 Amp fuse. 

Dave 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just a quick question as my indicators work but I get a very poor or no tick tock from the flasher unit. Is there only one flasher unit controlling front and rear. Ie the one under dash area ?

ok another question 😂 I’m I right in saying I can use a LED compatible unit with my current standard bulbs. Thinking of upgrading to LED bulbs at a later date. 

Thanks 

Grant 

Just the one unit in mine, I put a cheap 12v buzzer (from Maplins - remember them) across the contacts of the dashboard bulb to augment the 'tick tock'. Not the best method but it works. As for indicator leds,not tried those yet, but I think there are some problems with the led energising times. One of us will know properly.

My GT6 has no perceptible tick-tock at all since I fitted the current flasher. It's the wrong shape for the clip, so it just hangs loose. They're actually supposed to use the dash* as a sounding board and won't be audible if not clipped in place properly.

* or the bulkhead if fitted on there, which I think early Spitfires are.