Fuel pipe?

Roger89

So, although I haven't really started work on the engine or front-end yet due to having stripped out the diff for replacement and then decided to replace/clean/service absolutely everything else on the back-end at the same time. Seems rude not to, whilst it's stripped down. However, I did glance at the engine today day just to see what delights awaiting me. Glaring at me was a rubber tube between the two carburettors over the air boxs!!!

Am I correct in thinking this is dangerous as it could  vibrate off and pour fuel out over the manifold, making it live up to its name of spitFIRE?

I've called the nice guy Dave at the spitfire graveyard in Sheffield, to see if he had a replacement metal pipe, but he says he throws them out when he strips a spitfire. Sad,. Can't find one at rimmer brothers so has anybody remanufactured one or know where I can get an original?

Roger,

Rubber is normal, although these days you need to replace the tube with something ethanol resistant. Petrol dripping on the manifold is not good, but unlikely to ignite, unlike brake fluid, which is certain to ignite. Club shop sell ethanol resistant hose.

Doug

HI

R9 Grade, Is the recommend for this application, with the caveat that there are some being retailed "out there" which have doubtful origins!. Mine came from a website retailing for the Rally fraternity.

Pete

EDIT:- On my earlier post. THIS is worth a look:- https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=7&t=1734209   

The metal pipe is just a piece of metal fuel pipe with 2 bends easy to make. something like this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6MM-OD-x-2-5MTR-22G-EASY-FLARE-COPPER-FUEL-PIPE/201065623916?epid=1532301197&hash=item2ed071f16c:g:0HYAAOxyuCJRfQxr 

then 2 bits of R9 hose to join to the carbs and a couple of pipe clips to attach to the air box bolts

Yes recently read a newspaper article about a guy who spent 2 years renovating a triumph herald. He moved it from the garage to the front of the house I went in to pick his wife up for the first ride. When he came back out it was in flames and completely destroyed. 

Not sure whether there would be too much heat on the the opposite side of the intake canisters, but would like to see the car as original as possible.

I'm off to the Newark autojumble end of this month have picked up to really nice bumpers, front and rear, for £40! Bargain from a guy on Facebook is going to meet me there. So might be lucky and find the missing original pipe while I'm rummaging through the jumble.

low pressure  system  fuel leaks are the most unlikely cause of a fire 

brake fluid and electrics are far more a possibility 

and find any car made since the 70s that has metal bundy type fuel pipes  they have been plastic for decades

there are more myths about ethanol degradation when the failure is down to crap ebay or aftermarket source rubbish.being the culprit

over and above agism of 50 year old hoses 

pete 

My main fuel line is 8mm copper micro-bore pipe. Easy the get hold of and bend with the correct springy tool thingy. 8mm 'rubber' fuel pipe pushes on nicely. A couple of clips and off you go. If you cut the copper pipe with the proper plumbers cutter, it leaves a lovely, ever so slightly flanged inwards edge (not enough to impede the fuel) that slides into the rubber and virtually eliminates the chance of rubber slivers

• Like 2