DIY Fix for Gearchnge Spherical Bush 138685

Peter Truman

The nearly new re-bush gear stick change kit Spherical Bush 138685 pushed through the remote selector arm today. eons ago it happened to my daughters Spit but I had a half sphere S/S thin hemi-spherical bush that fitted neatly into the gearchange remote control selector arm it's  still there today obviously the alloy has worn over 50 years!

I don't know where that S/S bush came from so cannot do another fixit!

What have my learned fellow Spitty owners done in this fix & what DIY solution do you have!

I have a selection of nylon bush's and the one I"m using was the biggest

Can you get an oversized male nylon spherical ball 138685 or do I have to fashion a half sphere female washer like that previous S/S one!

hoping for an easy fix

regards

Peter T

Has anybody from the club approached Rimmers or Moss to ask if they can go back into production (small batch/short rum etc)

I appreciate they would be low turn over items.

Or is there anybody in the club with a lathe useful at small batch fiddling.  I've done loads of obsolete stuff on the TR range.

Has anybody got a decent drawing or a NOS item.

Roger

Having had a pattern part disintegrate and replaced with an old sphere that's now given 10 years of service, I know how frustrating the low quality of some new parts is.

51 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

Ive only  come across crap nylon spericals and cup washers   what we need some turned up in metal 

Im sure early were metal but nasty plastic used to solve gear lever sizzle 

Pete

Sounds like a metal sphere with a plastic sleeve would solve both problems.

Cheers, Richard

Now there’s a thought, everything is restorable 

been thinking of getting a 3D printer but the daughter wants to build one as the usual suspects are of limited output size

shes got all the 3D movements sorted for a 300 cube but it’s taking time

Racking my brain trying to remember where I got the S/S from I will have picked it up from one of our WAter Supply plant upgrades ver the years

thanks for the thoughts

peter T

9 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

Ive only  come across crap nylon spericalsand cup washers   what we need some turned up in metal 

Pete

Canleys stock metal upper cup washers and Spring top covers - available as single parts as opposed to the kit. I think the spherical is still nylon though. I bought the metal parts 4 years ago to replace the nylon cup washer that the spring forced through in only 6 months.

Gully

ref Pete's suggestion of casting up a chemimetal spherical ball in and to match the worn socket, should the new chemimetal  truncated sphere flat top be cast level with the top of the socket, or a bit below and if so how much.

As an alternative I was wondering if I cleaned the socket to bare metal and sprayed Teflon onto the socket face with several coats let it harden and see if that takes up the slack (wear). I know friends swear by JB Weld but trying the get the hemi-spherical profile back on the socket would be virtually impossible.

Regards

Peter t

On 02/11/2019 at 09:37, Pete Lewis said:

Ive only  come across crap nylon spericalsand cup washers   what we need some turned up in metal 

Pete

James Paddock sells metal cup washers as a single item, £2.45 each; just last week I bought two kits with the plastic washers and two metal washers as additional items, so can pick and choose as I prefer.

As a temp fix whilst I contemplate how to sleeve the remote selector arm female socket I’ve heat shrunk a thin semi rigid plastic cover onto the male spherical ball so as to make it oversized hence it won’t push through.

the heat shrink I used was not insulation style but from my old Radio Control days and is thin and feels quite rigid, but it’s only temp, it also is quite slippery so lubricate

Its a temp fix moves easily doesn’t push through and all gears easily selected.

Might talk to my old work colleagues M&E to see what options there are for a permanent poly style shrink sleeve

Peter T

Hello All

I made one out of some Teflon bar I have I ground a tool to the radius

I think I left it on the bar until I had done the lever end the parted it off(it was a fiddle) and if you had to pay me to make one it would be to expensive even at pensioners rates

Roger

ps it is a bit tight but I thought it will wear in? 5000 miles later it still a bit tight  but does not rattle!

I know that it's not as fun or creative, but why not simply phone Spitfire Graveyard, Spitbitz etc. and get a less worn one? I'm pretty sure that they are not like hen's teeth.

I have managed to squirrel away a couple of genuine rover bushes for when mine next needs doing and I don't think there is any wear in the allow socket..

If I was in the UK maybe an option but here in Oz it would cost more than $100 to deliver, but as you said not as much fun as DIY.

The one I'm fixing is 2nd hand ex Herald from West Aus came with the later style slightly thicker alloy Spit Bellhousing  (same casting as the CI one), 3 rail, both for $25 delivered, eat your hearts out so there's some advantage living in the antipodes.

I think the main issue is the variation in dia of the nylon spherical balls of the 4 new ones I have there's 1.5mm difference in diameter, hence a couple nearly fall through, one has a real big casting or machine flash on the max dia but whilst it works ok it is quite notchy in op, and if I reprofile it will be too slack!

I'm out of the woods for now and will search for a thin alloy or SS sleeve to fit into the socket like the other one I did, cheap and effective. just got to remember where I grabbed it from and what it was off! Aah old age you can see everything but can't put a finger on it!

Peter T