Trip odometer

Chris A

Good morning all, well it would be a good morning if it wasn't pi**ing down AGAIN!

The trip distance dial doesn't work properly, Herald 13/60. It turns the 1/10th drum but when it gets to '9' it restarts again from '0' but the unit counter doesn't move on.

I don't want to change the whole speedometer unit as everything else works correctly and is even quite accurate. I am contemplating trying to replace just the trip counter unit, have any of you done this?

I realise that the unit in my current speedometer may be repairable as it is only 'slightly' broken but if I had a replacement to hand I would be happier in trying to change the whole unit rather looking to fix it. I have coped with the fault for over 4 years but I would like it to work if possible without changing the whole speedo and at a limited cost.

I assume the speedometer isn't really designed to be opened and tinkered with but I assume it is possible with the correct tools, i.e. screwdriver, hammer and strong language.

Any comments, tips, thoughts much appreciated. Thanks

Chris,

The little I know is the speedo is difficult to get out and a real bugger to get back in. (If it’s similar to mine) There’s a elongated clamp on either side and thumb wheels. They can be undone, but getting it all back together requires a triple jointed wrist. 

I’ve also read getting the right replacement speedo for your set up can be troublesome, depending on gearbox and rear axle.

Good luck!

Doug

most tripp and oddo roll problems come from the small pawl ratchet arrangement that nudges the rolls

the operaating lever is driven from a worm on  the mains spindle  the lever pivot is sprung , the grease goes hard the lever stays stuck in nomans land

a clean and lube will normally resurrect it   dont mess with the ratchets between the rolls  as once alignment is upset its a long job to re arrange them

hardest job is getting the rim and glass to let go of the nasty gooey rubber seal , pry the lugs on the rim to aid rotation and removal 

then its all easy , do not take the needle off

pete

• Thanks 1

As Pete says getting the rim of is awkward, did this on my Vitesse speedo and rev counter the other year to fit new rims. Fit a large jubilee type clip around the rim to support it when levering up the tangs or it will distort, I used closed cell black neoprene cord as a seal when replacing rim.

Regards

Paul

Chris, if you don't want to tackle it yourself speak to Richfield Speedograph they refurb instruments but be prepared to pay!

I have a Ford type 9 gearbox in my Vitesse and they (Richard if I remember) supplied a right angle drive so the speedo cable wasn't bent to so tight a radius it kept on snapping. One of the many issues I had with the hapless quality of work I had at Jigsaw and had to sort out myself.

I would like to tackle it myself as the problem should only be slight, although it could be a gear wheel is broken or some such. I spotted a speedo for sale on the bay a couple of days ago for a good price, it would give me something to practice on and could be a donor for the bits. However the seller hasn't replied to either of my mails yet.

The inconvienience of sending the unit away is, apart from cost obviously, not having the car  available for weeks/months (?).

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.

Ben: Thanks for the link, I have scrolled through it and will give it a read over the week-end I hope.

Ben & Poppyman I have tried resetting to zero many times but it doesn't. The 1/10th drum turns but has difficulty engaging the unit drum it tries to turn it but doesn't quite seem to catch. This again leads me to think it is only slightly broken 🙄