Triumph Spitfire Loss in Power

Luke Remon

Hi everyone,

I recently bought a Triumph Spitfire 1500 and had it rebuilt by a member of family who is more knowledgeable than I, but now its back at home it's having some teething issues. The first problem when I drove it back was the fuel pump, but that has since been replaced. Now the engine pulls well until around 3500 rpm when it bogs down and then when it eventually reaches 4200 rpm ( only in first mind), it accelerates like a rocket for the brief moment I keep my foot down. Shortly after the engine bogs there is a strong smell of petrol in the cabin. But the strange thing is that it revs up fine when in neutral and sometimes it won't even bog down when in gear which is really quite odd because then 20 seconds down the road it will start to bog again. I'm only 18, this is my first classic and also I don't have much money to throw at it for unnecessary parts so it would be really helpful if someone could help diagnose the issue.

Thanks in advance,

Luke

after any rebuild  theres a good chance of the dreaded rubber slivers blocking the float needle valve and when full flow is asked it is restricted

caused by fitting fuel hoses onto the metal pipes , they cut a small slice off the hose inside and they float about , , ths can get repetative if you keep removing 

just outof hospital so not up t speed and it  christmas  .   ask away lots of clues and fun on here 

Pete

Fuel starvation as Pete alluded to

Either the wrong pump is fitted (even if you can these days) or restriction in the fuel lines. Given it will accelerate for a short while it’s going to be  fuel line related 95% sure. If they aren’t new, then I would fit R9 rubber in place - and get it from somewhere like the club shop as you know it will be the correct stuff and not fake stuff. 

I think rather than the pump not giving enough it's more likely to be that the greater pressure it generates at higher revs is overcoming the carb float valve. This is causing the mixture to go very rich so the engine bogs plus the carb overflows which then gives the strong petrol smell....

I had a couple of new mechanical pumps that put out different pressure at different times. One pump was putting out 9 lb pressure.

The quality of the new pumps are questionable. since switching to electric pump with regulator I have had no problems in 8 years.

Danny

I know it can be frustrating Luke but don't be tempted to just throw money at this problem. If the bogging down and fuel smell are connected then the problem must be in the carb area when an excess of fuel occurs. As it did this  with the previous pump that only leaves a float/needle valve problem. Possibly you have dirt or something in the float chamber that is intermittently stopping the valve from closing?

I cleaned out the float chambers today and there was no dirt in them, they closed properly and they opened properly and there were no cracks in the float. Also the engine runs really poorly when its really warm and also really struggles when it has been idling for 10 seconds or more. This is only under load though- if I put the clutch down the engine revs up fine.

Thanks again,

Luke

Hi all,

I've been researching these symptoms all over the internet and I've found that it could be the wax stat jets that are in it. Apparently when the engines hot they cause too lean a mixture (which I saw from the plugs) and a very rough idle. So I may try some standard jets in it and see if that resolves the issue. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated however.

Luke

Luke, 

Suggest you get yourself along to the East Sussex area meeting (not all TSSC members are regular forum users) and say hi to them, all being well you will be overwhelmed with practical help that will/may save you £££.  Details are  in the Area Contacts on the home page and it looks like they meet not far from Bexhill.

Dick

If you do have waxstats on your carbs - and the 1500 did as far as I know (Mine did!) then you can remove them with either a kit of bits to convert to conventional jets or use a couple of pennies.

Instructions on how to do the latter are here http://ekalakal.com/gallery/albums/userpics/SU_Waxstat_Jet_Tube_Conversion.pdf