GT6 Mk2 tyres

I've just got some 13" repro Dunlop D1 type wheels they are 5.5 rims for my Mk2 GT6.  Seems that recommended tyre size is 175 70 R13s but personally prefer something a bit narrower. I know 155 80 would have been original fitment but these would be a bit thin for 5.5" rims?   Would there be any issues with fitting 165 80 tyres (apart from choice).  I know there may be issues with the speedo but then I believe the car had a 3.27 diff but has now got an overdrive and a 3.89 diff.  

Any thoughts on the above gratefully received.

Bob

I like 165 80 13 on my Vitesse as I think they look good and are bigger diameter than the 175 you mention which would help a bit to correct your speedo error. This site is very good for checking different combinations of tyres and diffs (the OD itself doesnt make any difference to speedo reading):

https://richyrichracing.com/tools/gear-ratio-speed-calculator-for-standard-triumph-drivelines/

The only downside is that this size is getting harder to find and the choice is pretty limited....

I run 165 by 75 by 13in Michelin’s on both the Mk2 Spit & Vitesse my son who works for M advised they were nearest the original Crossplys. Both cars have 5in wide wheels

The Vitesse tyres are now old 10 years and he’s trying to get me replacements getting difficult to get Quality tyres for 13 inch wheels.

I’ll advise when he tells me he’s found good end, I can wait as he gets them at the ultimate discount.

Peter T

The issue of 165 80 and rear arch clearance is one of the reasons I'm slightly nervous of that size.  It currently has 175 70 13 on slot alloys (which I'm not a fan of) and there seems to be too much space in the arches for my liking at the moment.  The problem is that the car is a non runner so its hard to judge until its on the road and the suspension has settled (which I hope will be within the month).  The car has been off the road for more than 10 years so the rubber that's on it is knackered and don't have the option of driving it for a while on the old tyres. 

Bob

Id be surprised if the 165 80s give you an arch clearance problem (assuming you have wheels with the correct offset of course) as its normally width that does that. The biggest risk on increasing diameter is contact with the bulkhead on sharp turns and even there I dont think the <10mm increase will be an issue in this case...

Bob

Unless you are absolutely sure that the offset is correct, you might want to do a trial fit of the wheels before committing to tyres.

5.5" Dunlops I had on my GT6 Mk2 2 when I bought it in 1977, did have quite a lot of projection from the arch and sprayed the side of the car. (don't know the offset). They were sold (probably too cheap) when I put on some 5.5" Cobra Superslots.

I'm now running repro 5.5" Revolutions (ET=+25mm), spaced 5mm at the front for top wishbone clearance and 5mm at the rear to fill the arches a little better.

It's a a bit of a minefield.

Ian

My Mk3 GT6 had period alloy wheels and when I bought my Mk1 I transferred them over. I saw huge cuts out of the rubber one day, it turned out that the inner lip of the wing where it bent into the wheelarch was cutting into the tyres. Every time I went over a bump they made contact not with the top but the side. The later car had a much thinner return lip and it didn't affect the tyres at all, but on the Mk1 it was like a knife edge, and I immediately went back to narrower original wheels before we had a disaster. It's something worth checking if you fit wider wheels.

wheels.jpeg.43222c8fde2e214b0e7bf7fde2de3218.jpeg

On 13/02/2020 at 17:27, johny said:

Id be surprised if the 165 80s give you an arch clearance problem (assuming you have wheels with the correct offset of course) as its normally width that does that. The biggest risk on increasing diameter is contact with the bulkhead on sharp turns and even there I dont think the <10mm increase will be an issue in this case...

Exactly this. But wheel offset/ET is also an important factor.  Do you have an ET figure for the wheels?

Nick

+16 sounds promising. + 25 is too much (even though some sellers are marketing wheels for small chassis Triumphs with ET25). Hence Ian’s need to add 5mm spacers giving him effectively ET20. With just 4mm more I reckon you are in the happy zone.  I had problems with tyre rub on the bulkhead with 165/80 on 5.5”Dunlop steels on my Herald years ago. Not really comparable with your situation but has meant I’ve tended to stick with 175/70 on Vitesse, GT6 and Spitty with good results. The Falken SN832 is reasonably priced, excellent in the wet and seem to wear quite well too.

Nick

I had similar dilemma with my GT6 Mk 3 - 155 looked a bit thin and didn’t seem to have enough rubber on the road. Twitchy through bends in the wet. I went for Falcon Sincera 165 70 as they got good reviews (including on the forum) as a wet weather tyre and quite cheap (less than £40 each I think online then got my garage man to fit them). They look perfect and transformed the handling with no clearance issues. My speedo was low due to diff change to give slightly more relaxed cruising. I think 165 70 gave very slightly smaller diameter than 155 80, so will have dropped the gearing a fraction, but not so you’d notice.

Cheers

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/02/2020 at 21:40, Nick Jones said:

+16 sounds promising.

Hello Nick,

The off the shelf Dunlop D1's are indeed +16 offset - infact it is the only offset offered for that particular wheel on a 13" rim.

Regards.

Richard.

My point (not well made) was that several of the new wheel types made available in period styles (Revolution 4 spoke for one) are only available in ET25 which is too much onset and actual catches on wishbones making the use of a 6mm spacer necessary.

Nick

On 14/02/2020 at 21:40, Nick Jones said:

+16 sounds promising. + 25 is too much (even though some sellers are marketing wheels for small chassis Triumphs with ET25). Hence Ian’s need to add 5mm spacers giving him effectively ET20. With just 4mm more I reckon you are in the happy zone.  I had problems with tyre rub on the bulkhead with 165/80 on 5.5”Dunlop steels on my Herald years ago. Not really comparable with your situation but has meant I’ve tended to stick with 175/70 on Vitesse, GT6 and Spitty with good results. The Falken SN832 is reasonably priced, excellent in the wet and seem to wear quite well too.

Nick

16 + 5 =ET11. Not ET21?