clutch

Tanky

Personally unless I knew it had done a very high mileage Id inspect the clutch (pressure plate fingers, friction plate thickness, thrust bearing etc) and with that plus the annual mileage I'm planning to do make a decision. Apart from the cost theres always a not inconsiderable risk when renewing something that the replacement will give problems....

IF you need to change the clutch, find the best quality you can. GENUINE Borg and Beck (not the current ones, they are just in a B+B box) LUK, Sachs, Laycock etc. Clutch bearing wants to be RHP ideally. Or at least a proper branded one. And quality costs, I recently had to buy a new c=clutch bearing, found RHP at Chris Witors shop.

Johny has a good point though. Have a look at the clutch, if the fingers only have slight wear that will be OK. The plate is tricky, as they are not partivcually thick to start with, but as long as you have 2mm of wear left before the rivets you will probably get 30K out of it. Likewise if the bearing is smooth and undamaged keep it....

Check engine and gearbox mountings. If they are poor, that can cause judder. Especially pulling away.

And yes, clutch could cause the issue too, but does it do it as you are letting the pedal up, or does it do it all the time in first?

Is the clutch slipping? 

• Thanks 1

Hi guys,

It only judders as I let the clutch out on pull away. I looked at the PO paperwork/receipts and according to the receipts it had a new clutch 4 years ago with very low milage since.  Someone suggested that the clutch plate may have been installed incorrectly... Chances of that? he was a keen amateur, like myself...

What do you think?

Oh, the clutch doesn't slip at all and I have bought new gearbox mounts.

Cheers

Charlie 

43 minutes ago, Tanky said:

Hi guys,

It only judders as I let the clutch out on pull away. I looked at the PO paperwork/receipts and according to the receipts it had a new clutch 4 years ago with very low milage since.  Someone suggested that the clutch plate may have been installed incorrectly... Chances of that? he was a keen amateur, like myself...

It's possible... but I reckon it's contaminated with something, maybe oil, that is causing the slippage when it first bites and has to use more force to move the car. Low mileage is no indication of little wear, it could be many short trips all of which have either glazed the clutch to become too slippery to bite, or else contaminated it with something. 

Rimmers only sell clutches that are made by others, so shop around. You may not need the entire thing, just the plate, and to be honest if you've the gearbox out to inspect the clutch then why put an old worn one back in? Genuine B&B kits are just over £100, the plate on its' own is about £25. Just an example, first I could find, below. (Looks to be Motaquip)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIUMPH-Spitfire-mg1500-FWD-1970-73-NEW-CLUTCH-PLATE-NEW-OLD-STOCK-VCP218-184MM/283683893406?hash=item420ce0b09e:g:90kAAOSwyKZd1uNG

So a few possibilities.

1. Rubber mounts. You may be able to feel the gearbox wobbling about? 

2. Contaminated clutch, may or may not be obvious when you see it.

3. Bent backplate. Do not underestimate the grief they can cause, always ends up with a destroyed clutch plate.

4. Rubbish clutch kit. 

I doubt it has been put together wrong, usually you cannot operate the clutch at all. But you never know.....

a bent back plate as suggested is a good possibility often ignored , with years of gearbox levering in and out they become very bent  this places the gearbox out of line and the pressure 

plate  now will not grip the disc on its full circumference , it bites on portions and all being offset in the end it will tear the centre  hub of the disc out .

you could give it an italian tune up , thats allow slip at max torque in a high gear , repeat till it smells , if it goes on fire youve been too enthusiastic

pete

Hi all and thanks for the advice. I'll have a look at the weekend hopefully and take some pics. The engine and box are out for a full strip of my spit. I'm giving it a back to bare re-spray more or less.....

I don't think I will risk the fire tune up...I'm a Health and Safety Officer after all.......🙂

+1 for bent back plate. Someone changes the clutch but don't have the centring tool. They line it up as best they can and tighten the bell housing ... and tighten ... and tighten. POP! It centres, but not before the back plate has bent. I had this from the BL MAIN DEALER in Reading.

Cheers, Richard

Hi all, thanks for all the advice and thoughts. You're all stars!

The clutch was like that when I bought it. The PO told me that it was just the new clutch bedding in. As you all probably know, I'm new to classic cars and working on them, so I'm a bit naive.

I've cleaned and degreased the engine and gearbox this weekend and if I can get back to the garage today, I'll dive into the clutch and take a few photos....

Thanks again lovely people and please keep your thoughts coming, they are much appreciated.

Charlie

• Like 1

If the bellhousing is misaligned (by not using correct 3/8" dowel bolt) it will result in driveline vibration. At what speed depends on the amount of misalignment. 

If the spit is the same as a vitesse all the bellhouse fixings are 5/16ths but one is 3/8ths. The input shaft should be aligned with the crank to less than 5 thou and it is if you use the 3/8ths bolt and your backplate isn't bent. Easy to check backplate, put a mag base dti on the flywheel and the dti on the backplate. Rotate the flywheel and read any runout. You can do the same test with the gearbox striped off the bellhousing, mag base on flywheel and put dti on the inside face (thickness) of the round gearbox aperture. Run out must be less than 5 thou. 

Iain