What Is It?

Neil Clark

I'm re-assembling the car and between the copper fuel pipe to the carb and the rubber pipe is a curious black connector.  It screws onto the base part.  I don't see what the function is unless it is a filter of some sort?  Does anyone recognise it? 

IMG_4805.JPG

A one way valve there shouldn't be needed (and was never a factory fit) because the fuel pump has one-way valves internally - that's how it works. It may have been fitted to mask a problem with the pump, or it may just be one of those unnecessary "must haves" that Pete started a thread about.

4 minutes ago, DanMi said:

what is the 3 way joint in the brake pipe on the bulkhead for that is not standard

It looks like it feeds the brake light switch. This being a very early car, the hydraulic switch is probably correct, although I suspect that specific fitting isn't.

10 hours ago, Neil Clark said:

So I can replace it with a simple filter?

i think thats a plan  if you remove it you can see just what its supposed be and decide if you do or dont really need any added complication

deciphering previous owner ideas is not a fine art , so  yes look see then decide .

as the spitty tank tends to gravity feed as far as the pump  any drain back ideas are false , if theres lots of cranking before it fires its often down to lack off choke and base settings of the carbs .  just a thought 

Pete

11 hours ago, NonMember said:

It looks like it feeds the brake light switch. This being a very early car, the hydraulic switch is probably correct, although I suspect that specific fitting isn't.

That appears to be it, Rob, and you're correct about the location - it should sit on the main chassis rail just in front of the bulkhead, not on top of it. As long as it works, that's the important thing.

Ah! Confused me for a moment as a 3 way coupler is correct for a late GT6, which this isn't of course. 

I've had a couple of mechanical fuel pumps and repair kits, but I still get drain back. OK for a couple of days but, noticeable after a week and after winter lay off hand primer pumping required. I've often thought a one way valve would be good. 

Doug

Working in very slow brain mode, thinking about it on the MG side, those with Weber's (mines got SU's) often complain about finding them often slow to get going, needing priming.  Could it be that this is the non-return valve mentioned above, to keep more of a head of fuel for the Weber?  

I dare not fire it up yet so may have to wait a while to dig further.  Meantime I'll fit a filter just before this mystery object since I suspect that post the accident, insurance storage, dusty warehouses, dismantling etc who knows what has got where.

there is no mention of a hydraulic brake light switch in the mk1 spit parts manual, though I agree that's what it looks like and where that brake connector is located is where the starter solenoid would normally be. So long as it works 

1 hour ago, DanMi said:

there is no mention of a hydraulic brake light switch in the mk1 spit parts manual, though I agree that's what it looks like and where that brake connector is located is where the starter solenoid would normally be. So long as it works 

Early Heralds, to about 1962, had them; there's no bracket at the pedal for a stop light switch so have a look at your brake pedal; if there's a bracket you have the option of either switch but if not, you'll have to stick with the hydraulic switch or fit a later pedal. There should be a connector on the chassis, just to the left of where I can see your yellow stand, and that's the mounting point on the Herald.