Vitesse production numbers

Bobtaylor

HI, I have a 1966 Vitesse 1600 saloon. I have read on the TSSC site that there were 31,278 made compared to about 20,000 2 Litres, but that there are now far more 2 Lit models left than 1600's.

Does any one know (or even care!) how many of the 31K were saloons and how many are still in existence?

Cheers Bob.

Hope you are all managing the lockdown !!!!

Only figure's I have, I think it's inevitable that in a "hobby" car more convertibles than saloons will survive and the ones with the more powerful engine. My first car was a 12/50 herald saloon currently own and drive Mk1 2L Vitesse convertible, my two reasons for not buying a Mk2 were price and the rotaflex.

Regards

Paul

IMG_20200419_150836.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dave.vitesse said:

Out of the 2 Litre models the breakdown is as follows -

2 Litre (Mk1) Saloon 7,745. Convertible 4,193.

2 Litre Mk2 Saloon 5,212 Convertibles 2,802.

These figures are always approx.

I have a 2 Litre Mk2 Saloon with a sunroof. 

Dave

Dave

Those totals make more sense than some quoted?

Some Books quote more cars made than Commission numbers available for the Mk2?!!

Did you get them from the Archive at Gaydon?

Gary

10 hours ago, ahebron said:

And not forgetting that there are now more convertibles than left the factory!

No there isn't!! :)

There may be a lot of converted saloons about but not all of the original convertibles have survived, so I'd guess there's a lot less about but more than there should be. If you get my drift.

Hi,  I have 1966 Mk1 1600 Convertable (12 July 66) they finished this model in September 1966), and back in 2003 was told by the TSSC that mine was the 12th./13th oldest in the Club! (No actual figures where given)?   When I rejoined in 2017, TSSC could not give me any information whatsoever due to Data protection?  Cheers Martyn

34 minutes ago, martyn wright said:

Hi,  I have 1966 Mk1 1600 Convertable (12 July 66) they finished this model in September 1966), and back in 2003 was told by the TSSC that mine was the 12th./13th oldest in the Club! (No actual figures where given)?   When I rejoined in 2017, TSSC could not give me any information whatsoever due to Data protection?  Cheers Martyn

Yep; data protection was a killer for the Registers. There were just too many pitfalls with owner and vehicle data and the secure storage that it fell by the wayside.

Would that make yours the oldest, or the youngest, Martyn?

well i sold my Vit6 5 years ago  and she was a 14th April 1964  Vitesse 6  she is still showing as tax/mot'd  but not seen her since sold back to croydon where she was orig registered   

com number  HB19403DLRS    body  12119HB

she is image.thumb.png.ec712ddce54a1187e485b5d0fe23b5a2.pngstill taxed /mot but not seen her since sold 

I really don't know?  I just re-read the letter and it states that and I quote "At the moment(29 Apr 2003) there are only about a dozen Vitesses 6s later than yours , known to the register!"    Comm No: HB33176 CV where is the Body No?  I have the comm plate and also on the car is a "Black/Bronze plate"?   I have the copies of DVLA searches going back to the first owner with the Owners Name & Address in 1968 (Stamped Kent CC  27 Nov 1968) then the 1st Change a Mr Skipper S.W.20 (no Date) and lined out? then 2nd Change: Mr Geldkorn N.W.20, dated 24-11-70  and attached to this is "Extract from Reg Doc Kent CC 16 Jan 1970"  which has Comm No HB33176CV and Body No as HB33259HE   which is also the Engine No!  Does this make sense?  Cheers Martyn

My basic interpretation of the Data Protection Act 2018 is it states that the data be held and controlled in a secure manner. This includes controlling the issue of data. e.g. What’s the person asking for data going to use it for and how does this effect people contained within the data. This could mean carrying out a search for all previous owner of the car and checking they are happy for their details to be passed on. As this could involve many man-hours it has a cost implication. Employing extra staff, training, subject to audit and certification would be the result. It’s very doubtful if un-paid volunteers carrying the work out at home would meet the control and security requirements. This is why the Reg sec's and the DVLA don't provide this information anymore.

Martyn, Your's may well now be one of the last Vitesse 6 produced. But not the oldest as we do still have a number of 1962 and 1963 Vitesse.

Dave.