SHOCKER

Hi all, '72 GT6 Mk3....Currently running GAZ adjustables which were set to "FIRM" and not very comfortable for everyday driving. Had a go at adjusting them today, WD40 squirted and left to work, got 2 on to "SOFT" setting but other 2 had Chinesium adjusting screws which basically fell apart. Problem is it was 1 Front and 1 Rear that have fallen apart (both Driver side) so I am stuck on "FIRM" unless I change all 4 😞

Anybody uprated theirs and might have some VERY GOOD used units available? Anybody running basic shockers? Or is it a case of GAZ vs SPAX adjustables? (£350 or so I'd not counted on spending ).

I don't intend hammering the car so not looking for racing quality, just comfortable road kit and imagine not adjusting these on a regular basis. 

Mmmm, that's a tad disappointing !!

Firstly, using WD40 would never have freed the adjusters you need a proper rust breaker such as Plus Gas - academic now though.

I have GAZ on my Vitesse and not an issue other than they were set too hard for comfort.

It may be worth contacting GAZ direct, they may be operating and ask if they will recon yours which will be cheaper than forking out big bucks. SPAX are excellent as are Koni, it just so happens I have GAZ albeit SPAX on the Daimler.

Good luck.

Richard.

I have adjustables (forget which make but were supplied with the club conversion kit) on the back of my GT6. They're on the softest setting and are still a bit firm for comfort but then it's a Rotoflex GT6.

The other two both have standard shocks all round and are much nicer.

I use Gaz on my GT6 and reckon they are as good as any, having tried others. The harder settings for Gaz are probably suitable for track use but certainly not comfortable on the road.

I can't offer any advice on the broken adjusters. But if you replace with new adjustables, spraying motorcycle chain grease aerosol on the adjusters every time you service the car will keep them free.

Nigel

I had some Gaz  with a knob to adjust  this used to get road dirt blockage you could remove the adj wheel held on with hex screw, the detents a simple spring and ball to give you an idea of clicks all seized up despite frequent everlasting messing with settings   ..complete waste of £££   stick to simple  kyb    ,munroe     etc 

the aftermarket black ones have a mixed results but there is one heck of a differential in price   hi expense does not guarantee good 

Pete

14 hours ago, classiclife said:

Mmmm, that's a tad disappointing !!

Firstly, using WD40 would never have freed the adjusters you need a proper rust breaker such as Plus Gas - academic now though.

I have GAZ on my Vitesse and not an issue other than they were set too hard for comfort.

It may be worth contacting GAZ direct, they may be operating and ask if they will recon yours which will be cheaper than forking out big bucks. SPAX are excellent as are Koni, it just so happens I have GAZ albeit SPAX on the Daimler.

Good luck.

Richard.

GAZ will do refurb @£30+VAT+Carriage (extra if seals required too).

13 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

I had some Gaz  with a knob to adjust  this used to get road dirt blockage you could remove the adj wheel held on with hex screw, the detents a simple spring and ball to give you an idea of clicks all seized up despite frequent everlasting messing with settings   ..complete waste of £££   stick to simple  kyb    ,munroe     etc 

the aftermarket black ones have a mixed results but there is one heck of a differential in price   hi expense does not guarantee good 

Pete

Yes, 10 years of road crud have effectively killed these, really need cleaned/adjusted regularly.

Anyway, I think being stuck on "FIRM" is going to spoil my enjoyment of the car and for the price of a refurb (+bit extra?) I can get some new shocks. Looked at the el-cheapo black ones which won't have a long life so gonna try and find some Monroe's....Anybody changed theirs andknow what model number to help me on my way, Needs to be for Rotoflex model.

3 hours ago, HUB said:

GAZ will do refurb @£30+VAT+Carriage (extra if seals required too).

Well, that's decent in my book - do they know they will posting to the Scottish Islands as some carriers will not deliver etc.

As I said, my GAZ rear shocks were set too hard. By the end of a decent run the lack of dampening pretty much vibrated lower organs up to my neck !! I then readjusted to setting 2 and that seems ideal for me.

Regards.

Richard. 

One of my Monroes on the back of the Spit died after not many years (2? 3?) - these are MA785, the air-adjustable height ones which I got from the USA - very disappointed. Since then I heard somebody say that Monroe quality had gone to pot recently. Anyone care to confirm or deny that?

Cheers, Richard

So wot yer saying is that ye cant get them to adjust cos the adjusters stuc solid, correct

If so, the wee allen bolt in nob will most likely be stuck fast,

try an turn it, it,ll round off, 

its generally the knob that rusts its sell t,the shocker body thats problemo

Can use some heat an moles on the knob t,try an turn it, after heat,n, { be carefull, too much an it,ll fry the seals }

but even if that works, the wee ball will be stuck solid, so nee click adjust.

drill it oot, then tek knob off an inner bit an clean oot,, it,,ll then be workable

And, what ive fun oot, is that most of the adjustable shockers for fronts are use,n the wrong valve,n

its set too hard on bump, and too soft on rebound, hence the hard ride most folks complain aboot wid uprated shockers

Im running 1200Lb,ers, an its as soft a ride as a normal car,/ or 330 lb,ers.

cos dampings nearly there, but not quite yet, !!

BILD0050.JPG

BILD0051.JPG

BILD0052.JPG

BILD0055.JPG

BILD0056.JPG

6 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Which ones,  Nick - the Monroes?

Yes.  Finish not great and took alot of priming.  We shall see.  They are to replace some elderly but functional Spax non-adjustables which are way too hard.  Got a pair of front Spax adjustables too.  Lightly used....

Nick

"So wot yer saying is that ye cant get them to adjust cos the adjusters stuc solid, correct"

Correct, 1 front and 1 back with the Chinesium adjuster screw knackered so I can't even have front OR back set SOFT.

And correction, they're SPAX, Senior moment 😞 

Once normality returns will get my friendly mechanic to have a go in the vice.....Unless anybody comes up with a decent used set!!!

I updated your other thread on the understanding you were discussing GAZ units.

However that said, the same applies for SPAX. When they repaired a set of rear adjustable units I had on a Sunbeam Alpine they did so FOC plus upgrading to their current design spec. My understanding with SPAX is that they give an open ended customer service repair; which was so in my case and the units were as good as brand new.

• 3 weeks later...