How good should our brakes be?

Adrian

2 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Really, Clive? A phone - that invention of the Devil - can replace a piece of motoring nostalgia? That's blasphemy. 

But damn handy....

Its why we drive cars rather than use use a horse and cart. Things move on.... the phone is much more convenient! (I often use it as a spirit level, but calibration can be a trifle awkward.)

28 minutes ago, clive said:

But damn handy....

Its why we drive cars rather than use use a horse and cart. Things move on.... the phone is much more convenient! 

Never tried driving a phone, so will stick with the car for now; however I've heard that logic used before - why drive a rattly old Triumph when you can drive the latest modern? 

Haven't yet been able to locate a phone app for compressing coil springs... :)

I look at it like the progression from using box spanners to a socket set and ratchet. 

Plenty of progress has happened, nothing wrong with embracing that. I like my old cars, but I don't like using box spanners (tried that when I was 17, dad had some) and happy to use other modern things to make life easier. My hoist is a 1950's one, but the design hasn't changed.

1 hour ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Found one.... remember these things? Always looked like some kind of Chinese martial arts weapon, liable to take your fingers off as well as your nuts... 😮

abfa8539241244acb5c479ec2784bfc3--cycling-bicycle.jpg.b467e0842813bbe08c5a9038b6e1fe2b.jpg

Including the one with the "C" spanner for tightening (sorry "Adjusting") your "Bottom Bracket"?. Skinned knuckles where mandatory!

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/05/2020 at 03:07, yorkshire_spam said:

I still use at least one box spanner.... 
images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcSOmYCFrJBLuc1yP42F6qbnxOS8gpuuY_bFkHuCdVVgYlq_yDQC7-8qjZJxqS43FL-VIfeUaFOa&usqp=CAc
But that's only because I don't have a 52mm socket/spanner for doing Land Rover hub nuts.

I also used mine for removing hot water tank elements.

• Like 1