Am I colour blind? (Or just confused)

Mashby

Hi,

I am becoming confused about the colour of my car. I always thought it was Triumph Wedgwood blue, but when I bough a match pot it did not look quite right. So fortunately I have a log of when my car was restored about 16 years ago and they refer to “Triumph Powder blue” and in one case Sky blue (but I think that may have just been descriptive). I am not sure I have heard of either.

Any suggestions gratefully accepted (recent photo attached)

M

A1D98361-EDCF-4BCA-84C7-AF5576233994.jpeg

92343bdb69fa501ea861cab0b4583bc8.thumb.jpg.856e7b98809123694ecb499ea87c2107.jpg triumph-herald-39s39-saloon_22397.jpg.8da484a0029031b7812706d6326e6481.jpg

The estate is Wedgewood blue, the saloon is Powder blue.

Paint code should be 26 for Wedgewood, Powder blue was used 1959 - 1962 but apparently has no code. If your car is a late 13/60 you'll find the original paint code on the commission number plate to the side of the bulkhead, but it could have been resprayed in a close modern colour. Just one of the pitfalls of owning a fifty year old car!

from the 13/60  WSM the only Blues  were  16 midnight   26 wedgewood   36 dark blue   46 renoir   56 royal   66  valencia

Purples   17 damson   27 shadow blue 

in the big saloon  you can add  75 print  86 navy   96 saphire   106 mallard   116 ice   126 french   136delft   146 tahiti

anyones guess   

Pete

A lot of restorers get the pale blues wrong. If your car was originally Wedgewood, it's likely that the restorer used Powder Blue or a BMC near-equivalent. That happened to my Toledo, which was originally Ice Blue and never looked as good in whatever it got resprayed to. (Ice is quite a bit paler than Wedgewood or Powder).

Thanks for all the feedback. Unfortunately this is not the original colour of the car (that was white with a red stripe) so my commission plate is not much help. I will try and find some Triumph powder blue touch up paint on the back of all the advice.

many thanks again

M

M, Do not know where you are but if you take your car along to an automotive paint supplier they can mix paint to match your car, which then takes account of any fading that has occurred in the 16 years since the restoration respray.  If they are any good they will also note what they mixed to get a match and can provide touch up pots and aerosols.

More good advice, thanks. The car is a 68 but that is not relevant as it’s not the original colour anyhow. I am in the South East (London/Kent/Surrey/sussex) could try to find a decent paint shop there and you are right Pete, a bonnet, door or boot lid may be a little expensive to post 😳

Powder and Wedgwood have always been mistaken for one another, as said the best bet is probably a scan or to park your car between one of each and compare!   

I wont offer to help judge which is which though - I am colourblind :)

.........Andy 

Hi

The one I am restoring (slowly, Very!) is white, with a bonnet obviously taken from elsewhere and which appears to be a sort of Blue/green?. And a Boot Lid which was originally a different white! according to the interior!.

It wont be white though whenever it is completed, there is a rather nice blue which featured on the cover of the Courier Feb 2016?. Which I rather fancy. If I knew what it was!.

Pete