Keying

ahebron

I removed the barrels from my ignition, boot and glovebox but am having trouble with the door locks on my Vitesse 6.
I can get the lock mechanism out of the door handle which is dead simple but removing the barrel is proving a bit trickier
The reason for removing the barrels is so I can match a key to the locks. I have two new good keys and lots of the various locks found on our cars so parts arent a problem.

I am also fitting a key lock to the passenger door on my car.

Thanks
Adrian

Adrian,

I did 2 doors, the rear hatch and petrol cap on my GT6. I got feed up carrying 4 different keys so I took the barrels apart and reorganised the tumblers, now 1 key fits all.

If I recall correctly the barrels were all held in with circlips and came out quite easily. These were all simple “flat” keys but the ignition was much more “sophisticated” 😆 so didn’t attempt that.

Doug

1 hour ago, dougbgt6 said:

Adrian,

I did 2 doors, the rear hatch and petrol cap on my GT6. I got feed up carrying 4 different keys so I took the barrels apart and reorganised the tumblers, now 1 key fits all.

If I recall correctly the barrels were all held in with circlips and came out quite easily. These were all simple “flat” keys but the ignition was much more “sophisticated” 😆 so didn’t attempt that.

Doug

I have just done the same on my Stag, matched everything to the ignition key. It is an easy job but a bit fiddly, take them apart on a tray then you can find the bits you will drop.

Tony.

• Like 1

yes on the push button remove  the tappet screw inside the door, this releases the barrel and button,  on the button is a circlip ping that off and the barrel is released

boot handle is remove the circlip, remove escutheon  off the shaft  and theres a pin to hold the barrel in place 

pete

For the boot handle its the pin closest to the handle end if that makes sense and its offset to one side. Give it all a good clean first as the pin can be hidden under muck. Do not under any circumstances drift the big square pin out! On a rusty lock it can look obvious DAMHIK!

You dont need to change the whole igniton switch, just push a pin tool up the hole in the igniton housing and the barrel will release.
Did the very last of the Mk2 Vitesse have the igniton on the steering column, if so I believe this wont work for those.

After removing the bolt and the circlip I find the door locks need a key to remove the barrel from the push button😀
I found this by hammering a barrel out of a push button then retumblering it to work with the key I have. The brass pins bent over but can be straightened and the shit metal of the lock can be tidied with a jewellers file.
I need to find a good lock picker or a big set of car keys to go through.

Also there are at least two different locks for the glovebox and boot. One being double sided and the other single sided. Plus for the boot the locking actuator pin is either square or round.

So far I know that the glovebox lock parts are not easily interchangeable, slight size differences in the lock and its mountings.

You do need the key to remove the barrel
Luckily my mechanic mate over the back has a box of old car keys so I went through the keys found one that works and released the barrels from the door lock button.
Still trying to release the barrel I want from the boot lock. I have removed the lock pin but think it has corroded inside so at present it is full of a penetrant. I did try heating it with a hot air gun but no joy. Luckily time is a tool I have lots of at present. 

On 08/05/2020 at 09:57, poppyman said:

I have just done the same on my Stag, matched everything to the ignition key. It is an easy job but a bit fiddly, take them apart on a tray then you can find the bits you will drop.

Tony.

Looking to do the same on my saloon.  Have one of the barrels out of the car but can't work out how to remove the pins.  What's the trick?

OK, worked it out - you just need to give them a firm poke with a jewelers screwdriver from the non-springie side and they pop out.

Was being a bit too careful with it before and looking for some hidden pin or something that had to be removed to release them (that doesn't exist).

That's another lock-down evening's entertainment sorted :)

• Like 1