1976 Spitfire 1500

If the rubber is ok leave it alone*. If the rubber is split or damaged a quantity of grease inside it may help it last slightly longer, but it'll eventually need replaced. If you need to replace it, as Wimpus says, look for a UJ version unless you specifically want to buy the proper replacement, if it's available - the same joint was used on the TR7 and you can still buy those new, so the Spitfire version may be available from suppliers.

(*having said that, greasing the rubber may stop it drying out and splitting, if it hasn't already)

• 1 month later...
16 hours ago, rozentas said:

I have fitted some new universal joints.....GKN type with the grease nipple on the cross.....but the grease nipples don't fit properly, they will screw in a few turns but thats it.  Does anyone know the correct thread for a uj grease nipple? 

It seems to vary, some imperial and some metric. But the nipple does not need to go in very far to work.

• 4 weeks later...

I am assembling the rear suspension using a nut and bolt kit from ANG which includes Nyloc nuts.  Is it ok to use copper grease on these bolts when pressing them through the framework, and is it ok to use it on the bolts going through the rubber shock absorber bushings, they don’t have an inner metal tube?

Put my hub flanges on, can’t get them to go on any further than the pictures show.  Have not torqued them yet as a I think they should go on further than this with a little tapping. Have been hitting them hard and they will not go on any further. Any tips gratefully received.

23DAAEA2-3F0B-4F3F-94A4-A33B16C47110.jpeg

5BD33D82-9C44-479E-9E74-D4150C9556E6.jpeg

we've had this before and I think the conclusion was that the manual has the wrong measurement so its best not to put the bearing housing on that far and then let the flange push it to the correct place as its nut is done up....

The flanges can be skimmed if not too badly bent, obviously with the studs removed first.

The workshop manual has a good sectioned drawing of the assembly and of course the nut/washer must never come to the end of the thread otherwise the flange/hub could be loose. Therefore the flange/hub must always protrude a little past the shoulder of the shaft while its inner face should be pushed up against the axle outer bearing.

You should be able to tap the bearing housing back along the shaft as both bearings can slide ok. Remember to tap round 360º as much as possible and ideally with a soft metal rod...