GT6 Tyres

Hi all,

Hope isolation is treating you well?

After a new purchase of a GT6 I can see the tyres are in need of replacing. Having done a little research I am looking replace the existing Cooper Sportsmaster 165/80/R13 with the more available 175/70/R13 (Steel Rims)

My concern is that modern tyres won't have the same or close to the same 'look' of a car from the 70s. 

Are there any trusted brands/suppliers/tyre makes and models that are favoured?

23 minutes ago, Qu1ckn1ck said:

My GT6 Mk3 is on 175/70/R13 tyres fitted to 5.5J Triumph steel rims and they look OK to me. That size appears to be the current recommendation from our resident gurus too.

Nick

DSC00908.JPG

They look great Nick. What brand have you used for your tyres?

My GT6 is also on 175/70-13 tyres, fitted to 5.5J alloys. This keeps the same rolling radius as original.

I've bought mid-range Davanti tyres as I can't justify the cost of premium when they will go out of date before wearing out. The Davantis seem to perform well enough, plenty of grip and far better in the wet than my previous  Pirellis.

Nigel

• Thanks 1

If you want a superb wet grip tyre  the Falken sn832 are superb. Good in the dry too. 

And yes, 175/70 13 are ideal size. However, they are on the limit for width on a std 4.5j gt6 wheel. If yoiu want to stay with 165/80 they are available in that size too.

Tyre is a "conservative" pattern, does not look modern (but behaves superbly)

I have recently bought tyres from Blackcircles, you get to choose a fitter near you. Competitively priced too. 

Falken SINCERA SN832 ECORUN 155/80 R13 79T

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, clive said:

If you want a superb wet grip tyre  the Falken sn832 are superb. Good in the dry too. 

And yes, 175/70 13 are ideal size. However, they are on the limit for width on a std 4.5j gt6 wheel. If yoiu want to stay with 165/80 they are available in that size too.

I have recently bought tyres from Blackcircles, you get to choose a fitter near you. Competitively priced too. 

+1.  Great wet/damp grip and reasonably priced.  Have them on my Vitesse and GT6.

Nick

1 hour ago, Nick Jones said:

+1.  Great wet/damp grip and reasonably priced.  Have them on my Vitesse and GT6.

Nick

Are you running them on the standard steel rims? If so do you have a picture?

2 hours ago, clive said:

Thanks Clive. Would be good to be able to visualise the difference between the 175 and 165 on the steel rim.

Just looked and they are competitely priced indeed. Top option so far! 👍🏼 Albeit I am unlikely to be testing the wet weather capabilities 😅

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, B5NWW said:

Thanks Clive. Would be good to be able to visualise the difference between the 175 and 165 on the steel rim.

Just looked and they are competitely priced indeed. Top option so far! 👍🏼 Albeit I am unlikely to be testing the wet weather capabilities 😅

What size steel rim? I have a (ratty) 4.5J steel rim, which would have been std on GT6 mk3 fitted with a 175/70 tyre. Not on a car... (that currently has 185/60 tyres on 5.5J steel  rims)

17 minutes ago, clive said:

What size steel rim? I have a (ratty) 4.5J steel rim, which would have been std on GT6 mk3 fitted with a 175/70 tyre. Not on a car... (that currently has 185/60 tyres on 5.5J steel  rims)

I am at work at the moment but can look when home. Guessing the 4.5j or 5.5j is marked on the hub somewhere? 

If you could share what what your 175/70 looks like that would be great...

1 hour ago, Nick Jones said:

On my Vitesse the tyres are on 100+ cross-spoke alloys, 6J

28E002DD-59C0-4CA6-BA66-517AA17692FF.jpeg.69e9317cd28845009aa672a8517773e4.jpeg
On the GT6 they are on steel wheels but the 5” version (late Spit 1500?)

9ED63C5D-B31E-415A-9997-2C43975D802B.jpeg.315235d1154eea3e60199bd4076c9e25.jpeg

Nick

Very nice Nick! I will have to look to see what size rims are on it then when home.

4 hours ago, Nick Jones said:

On my Vitesse the tyres are on 100+ cross-spoke alloys, 6J

On the GT6 they are on steel wheels but the 5” version (late Spit 1500?)

Nick

Just got home and they are definitely the 4.5 rims

Good looking GT6 there - I do like Saffron Yellow. Mine started off its life that colour, but the PO changed it to Mimosa.

Another vote for 175/70 R13 tyres from me. I run 5J Minilites with Toyo tyres but too late with that recommendation!

Gully

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I'm researching tyres at the moment and have had fantastic experience with the Continental EcoContact 6 on my Classic Mercedes W115. It's rare that I pick a brand over Michelin but I'd have to say Continental really did it well with this tyre. On my Mercedes, I experiences really low rolling resistance and excellent grip.

I have what appear to be Dunlop 13X5.5 wheels on the Gt6 so I'm guessing the 175/70 R13 size that's on the car is ideal?

DSC_1495.JPG

The trouble is the 13" wheels tend to have a rather narrower range of tyres available. 

As to Michelin, I have just changed tyres on my sister 15 year old Yaris. Still had teh original Goodyears on the back (badly cracked) but teh Michelins on teh front were 6 years old, but badly crazed and not far behind the rear tyres. MoT advisories as "close to failing" but there is a technicality why he didn't fail them. 

The Michelins on my spitfire (14" Crossclimates) seem all good after 4 years, but the car spends much of its life in the dark. What would I buy in 175/70 13? Uniroyals, Falken (both excellent wet tyres) or possibly Dunlop. The Goodyear efficientgrip performance are sadly not available in 13". Contis are available, and a good tyre. But again had issues with early sideway crazing. 

Michelins and sidewall crazing - worth looking at country of manufacture. On a previous car I had 3 German Michelins and 1 Spanish Michelin. The Spanish one crazed on the sidewall after 2-3 years, whilst the German ones were fine.

I run 175/70 R13 Toyo NanoEnergy 3s on my GT6 - very happy with them. They replaced a set of Avons, which every tyre place I went to struggled with balancing.

Gully