Herald seatbelts - Club versions versus others

I need two sets of seatbelts, both static lap / diagonal front sets for my Heralds. The Estate needs the clip attachments which go through the sides of the tunnel to the chassis and the convertible needs the single top plate version. I'd ideally like a set in silver grey for the convertible and red for the Estate.

I was on the Club website earlier but they have no photos - has anyone used the club belts and what are they like? I assume they're only available in black?

I was also on the Quickfitsbs website but my enquiry e-mail was bounced back, and their press releases etc haven't been updated since 2014. Are they still in operation?

10 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I was also on the Quickfitsbs website but my enquiry e-mail was bounced back, and their press releases etc haven't been updated since 2014. Are they still in operation?

Hello Colin,

My understanding is that they are and I've not heard otherwise.

As you say, lack of web update since 2014 and no Covid-19 info.

Fingers crossed they are as I need to use their services at some stage.

Perhaps a phone call on Tuesday may progress the enquiry ??

Regards.

Richard.

3 minutes ago, classiclife said:

Perhaps a phone call on Tuesday may progress the enquiry ??

Yes might just do that! I've found their belts to be excellent in the past and want something just a little bit more special than standard for the convertible; IIRC I sent them original belts way back and they copied them exactly, right down to the original silver-grey colour.

From memory, the club shop supplies Securon belts. These are available in a range of colours but I believe the club only stocks black.

You will need to phone Angie to check but there's a good chance you can get other colours as a special order.

Nigel

A quick ebay search reveals the securon belts available in red and grey, so are available.

Watch out for the "correct" kit. On Spitfires they suggest the ones with a 30cm wire fitting, which is plain ridiculous, it sticks up into the middle of nowhere. I used the ones with a short metal plate, similar to the originals. With a herald you may well want the ones with the belt material to the buckle? 

I did see some from a supplier with a very 60's chromed lift-to release buckle, but could not see who they were made by. If you want something that looks old, worth an enquiry? BUT (and I know Colin would) worth checking they are not rubbish.

Classic-Car-Beige-3-Point-Chrome-Buckle-Lap-Seat-Belt-Adjustable-Front-Rear

Quickfitsbs made my GT6 belts as exact copies of the originals, they took the old ones and replicated them exactly, and I was very pleased with the quality. They use the aircraft-lift buckles in chrome, stainless or zinc plated.

I'd try the Club versions for the Estate - I'm not worried about black, nor a lot of originality, but there is a certain type I want and I can't tell from the Club Shop website what their versions look like. I don't fancy inertia, I've got long arms so can reach the dash if needs be (no offence intended, Doug!!  :) ) and for the convertible I liked the original silver grey of the statics that were fitted when I got it. It's just personal preference. 

I have a few NOS Herald versions but after so many years I'd be concerned about deterioration of the webbing, no matter that they look very nice.

Does anyone have a photo of the club belt, particularly the buckles, that would give me an idea? 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I don't fancy inertia, I've got long arms so can reach the dash if needs be (no offence intended, Doug!!  :) )

I don't think it's a question of arm length so much as car. I have static belts in both the Spitfire and the Vitesse, where the ignition switch is on the dash, and they're perfectly fine. I have inertia belts on the GT6 because the ignition key is down by your boots and you need to be able to touch your toes to use it. That won't be a problem on your GT6, Colin, as it's not a Mk3.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Quickfitsbs made my GT6 belts as exact copies of the originals, they took the old ones and replicated them exactly, and I was very pleased with the quality. They use the aircraft-lift buckles in chrome, stainless or zinc plated.

I'd try the Club versions for the Estate - I'm not worried about black, nor a lot of originality, but there is a certain type I want and I can't tell from the Club Shop website what their versions look like. I don't fancy inertia, I've got long arms so can reach the dash if needs be (no offence intended, Doug!!  :) ) and for the convertible I liked the original silver grey of the statics that were fitted when I got it. It's just personal preference. 

I have a few NOS Herald versions but after so many years I'd be concerned about deterioration of the webbing, no matter that they look very nice.

Does anyone have a photo of the club belt, particularly the buckles, that would give me an idea? 

They supply securon belts.

http://www.securon.co.uk/other/staticlapdiagonal.htm

don't forget that seatbelts were not a factory fit in the 60s (not sure of exact dates) so even most of the so called originals are really aftermarket ones or the dealer fitted whatever they had. Quickfitsbs replaced the webbing on my Britax Excelsiors belts in a light grey blue colour and supplied all of the fixings a couple of years ago

3 minutes ago, clive said:

I must get a look at some when all this isolation is over; there are so many variations that while they may be functional it's just not the look I want.

Too many suppliers just use the same photograph regardless, and it's off-putting when you look at the length of the centre mounting and wonder how it would look in real life on your car.

Rob has reminded me of my late Mk3 and yes I remember having to take a deep breath to reach the ignition key... but not a problem in either Herald or the GT6. (The Mk1's problem is the wiper switch which is practically in front of the passenger...)

55 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

8E10C5AC-C12D-4C9E-9376-37CE09B0CB3E.thumb.jpeg.10a39f5a5ababb51ad989fe9599ab07d.jpeg

Paul

• Thanks 1

The buckle on 30cm stalk jobbies are plain wrong on our cars. My mk3 came with the buckle on webbing, much like heralds etc I have owned with "original" belts.

The short metal plate buckle is awkward, as it wants to lay flat on the carpet, I used a right angle bracket on my spifire for the centre attachments.

Pauls example looks like a nice short stalk. Or is it a 30cm, but different position on the herald/vitesse?

1 hour ago, clive said:

The short metal plate buckle is awkward, as it wants to lay flat on the carpet, I used a right angle bracket on my spifire for the centre attachments.

The short plate fitting needs a right-angle bracket, as fitted to MkIV Spitfires / Mk3 GT6. The earlier Spitfires (where actually fitted) originally had the buckle-on-webbing with an eyelet on the floor.

this subject has made me refit the reel seat belt to the back seats of the 2000 the fixing is so close to the rear 1/4 roof liner that the o/s reel needs a offset bracket 

to align the reel 

the n/s fits ok  

i was loathed to drill a extra fixing hole which would be a better solution just hate extra holes !!!

so now have a set of static left spare but without the short buckle as used that for the fronts as the fixed floor short  buckle made the front belts too short 

happy days  

Pete