Radio suppression

Ziggy

Whats the best radio suppressor to get for my 1972 mk4 spitfire as the radio has a lot of interference when running, I guess the old one doesnt work anymore! Just restored the car, have 8mm leads on the plugs, but still get interference.

3 hours ago, Ziggy said:

Whats the best radio suppressor to get for my 1972 mk4 spitfire as the radio has a lot of interference when running, I guess the old one doesnt work anymore! Just restored the car, have 8mm leads on the plugs, but still get interference.

Hi Ziggy,

are your spark plugs and or plug caps suppressed.   Suppressed plugs often have a 'R' in the part number.

You need to stop the interference at source rather then at the radio it self.

If the plugs are good then look at the  +12V line from the dynamo/alternator.   An In car audio shop will give you good advice

Roger 

i cant recommend spark plugs with an R in on our weedy HT , fine on mega jolt and moderns but i have only found misfires when i come across these plugs in

problem cars 

and if the radio is VHF its not normally affected by car related interference  like  MW/LW was 

is this a HT spark morse code tickety tick or a whine whirry noise ???? that determines if its the HT or charging 

if you have an alternator that should not cause  interference  but a dynamo can and its control box 

Pete

37 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

and if the radio is VHF its not normally affected by car related interference  like  MW/LW was 

Pete

That's why i was thinking more of an earth problem Pete. The interference is sometimes better than mw/lw stations.

Tony.

54 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

well were halfway through 20 nights now closing in

anyone done a dance around stone henge hoping for a Pagan summer  

apart from know one knows what the place was for anyway

who ever made it was cleverer than those trying to sus it out  

pete

It was multi-storey car parking, the lintels at the top were to prevent caravans and campers from staying overnight. 

As regards radio suppression, shouldn't we ask North Korea for the best method?

17 minutes ago, Badwolf said:

Maybe you need a trip to Barnard Castle... but I can't remember why!

That would mean I had to go into quarantine, merde as we say here. I've got other plans for this week. Fingers crossed if it pans out l'll put details on the forum, I don't want to jinx them 🤞

Back on topic you need to identify how it gets into the radio, power lead or aerial, pull out aerial and if interference is still there then a filter in the power supply close to the radio will help. If its gone then you have to fix it at source. Earthing is biggest problem so fit wide earthing braids for back of radio, the coil and aerial base or the  wing its mounted to, also make sure engine has good earth to chassis, and try a suppressor on coil and spark plugs. I might have some suppressors in the garage from my time in car audio business I will take a look and get back to you...