Oil filter for 13/60

Jeffds1360

I've been reading on here about oil filter fittings and got confused :)

I thought I would need an adaptor but now I'm not sure. Here is a picture of what I have. It came off nicely with just a dribble. So.... has my 13/60 been modified to accept a 'standard' filter? Is this a good type? and does it have/need a one way flap valve?

20200731_154329.jpg

20200731_154311.jpg

20200731_154647.jpg

Take your pick !!

https://www.oilfilter-crossreference.com/convert/Fram/PH2869

For example this has a NRV:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MG-MIDGET-1500-BORG-BECK-SPIN-ON-OIL-FILTER-GFE150-WITH-NON-RETURN-VALVE/353142380984?hash=item5238ed19b8:g:za0AAOSwMDpeJgqd

Fram PH2869 = Unipart GFE150 = Borg & Beck BFO 4073............ they all x-ref each other.

Looking through the initial list I flagged, I'd probably go with a MANN W713 / 14 as their filters are quality products. 

Duxford...300 miles!!! 6 hours!!! Eeeek? Sorry :)  nothing closer?

Funny, I got notification of your post but not the other two???

Ok. I have a spitfire mk1V block so no adapter required.  I'll look at Mann for no drips and quicker pressure. 

Starting uj replacement tomorrow :( hope my tools are strong eenough.

Fitted two spot lamps to my fibreglass front valance this morning, beside the bumper overiders.......opened bonnet and crushed them ...dum dum dum 

Big learning curve. 

2 hours ago, Jeffds1360 said:

I'm not getting notification of replies to my posts???

You only get a notification when:

1- you are quoted, as above

2- an acknowledgement of thanks / like / sad / confused / haha

3- PM

If you get any of the above, you will be alerted the second you access the Forum.

Pete's recommendation for GFE150 is a safe bet and supports the club shop............. if you are that way inclined and / or is VFM.

Aaaaaaah I see. Thank you both. Maybe I knocked it off?

Wish me luck for tomorrow.  It's 50 years since I wielded big spanners with intent. 

I did go camping in a tent a few times. The wife was 6 months pregnant and it snowed. It was Easter 1977. We wore wellies!

Sorry I'm a bit late to this thread.

The thread linked above is well worth a read. The advice that was given for my Spitfire filter on the second page proved particularly helpful.

The Herald 13/60 filter should be the same as the Spit Mk3. Try the Mann 714/2 filter and Wix adaptor, it stops the start up death rattle!

Nigel

The adaptor that a lot of people refer to is the WIX 24037, which converts from a 5/8-18 thread to 3/4-16 thread.

Using such an adaptor in lieu of the "fitting" you have on the engine block at the moment gives you a much wider range of filters to select from.

The WIX 24037 adaptors are only normally available from the USA, but they do occasionally pop up in the UK.

54 minutes ago, KevinR said:

The adaptor that a lot of people refer to is the WIX 24037, which converts from a 5/8-18 thread to 3/4-16 thread.

Using such an adaptor in lieu of the "fitting" you have on the engine block at the moment gives you a much wider range of filters to select from.

The WIX 24037 adaptors are only normally available from the USA, but they do occasionally pop up in the UK.

I have imported a few batches of these from Rock Auto in the USA

There s a sweet spot of 10 (I think) in terms of postage, and I have managed to rehome them all (except the one I wanted!) covering my costs.  But I won't be doing it again. 

If you want one, it really is worth buying more and sharing the costs.  There is demand.

And there are high quality, double valved oil filters out there. Or quality single valved ones (MGB etc) for little money.

So.... let me get this straight.

My 13/60 is the same as a Mk1V spitfire and we have, as standard a a 5/8" male/male  thingy sticking out the block but there are only about a hundred types of filter that fit 5/8" and some of them are alright but expensive?

If I get an adapter to change to 3/4" I will have an even bigger choose of filter of which many are better and cheaper?

There seems to be an option on adapters........ one that screws on to the 5/8 and makes it 3/4 but may have a spacing problem ...or.... an adapter that replaces the 5/8 and presumably I have to remove the 5/8 and screw in a 5/8 with a 3/4 male. and then I have a bigger set of options ... BUT, as our cars do not seem to be listed on the general sites for parts I need to listen to you all as to which filter fits what.

Chinese do a £3 adapter British are £15..... why what and where should I do what?

Seems simpler to stick with my 5/8 and get a filter with a valve ???

Oh.. btw, I gave up on doing the uj. The exhaust was in the way , my back gave in and I had no clearance :)

I'm also confused about being a member and being a ???.......... I went to membership and joined (for free??) so not a real member. I went to the shop and signed up but got lost and still not sure who I am.. so... next week I will pay my 50 whatever and then become ... ?? a member?? ... It's late (up at 4am) I'm tired and lewis has pole