Door hinge refurbishment

Phil C

Hi All

The hinges on my Vitesse restoration are badly worn.

I bought a set from a well known parts supplier and was shocked at the quality. None would permit full door movement without a bit of fettling and one had as much free play as my original ones. To be fair the suppler quickly refunded me and apologised but confessed that they were the only ones currently being manufactured. As the price appears the same from all current retailers I am guessing they all come from the same place?

Anyone recently obtained decent hinges?

Plan B is to refurbish my existing hinges and I note it is possible to buy new hinge pins. 

Before I break something I was hoping for some words of wisdom from those who know.

Do the pins just press out and if so does it matter in which direction?

Im thinking simply replacing the pins may not help if there is wear within the hinge body itself and may be some form of collar/sleeve may be needed. If so, sounds like a lathe and more skill might be needed - way above my ability.

Is there a DIY route or should I be visiting my local engineering facility?

Thanks in advance.

If you want to make your own oversized pins then consider using Silver steel as this is easy(ish) to harden

Get the pin to cherry red and then quench in water.  The amount of hardening can be roughly controlled by allowing to cool from cherry red to dull red and lower before quenching.   

Note do this BEFORE machining.

Roger

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Phil C said:

Do the pins just press out and if so does it matter in which direction?

Im thinking simply replacing the pins may not help if there is wear within the hinge body itself and may be some form of collar/sleeve may be needed. If so, sounds like a lathe and more skill might be needed - way above my ability.

Pins are relatively cheap and press out from the underside; you can try pressing one out and replacing it without any other work as it may just revitalise the hinges with nothing else required. Some of them can be badly eaten with rust and thereby either stick or allow movement, so it's something I'd recommend having a go at. They can be hard to press out so plenty of penetrating oil and heat should get them to move.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks all.

I have decided to start with new pins and see where that gets me. Colin, as you say that might sort it without further work.

Ed, your links were prefect, thanks for those. As mentioned above, GT6 hinges are the same and your idiot guide for hinge refurbishment was just the ticket😀.

First lets see how easy they are to remove 🤨

Pete, you have a good memory as I have just looked at them and they do indeed have spline on one end. A couple of mine also have a dab weld as well! Hopefully that was done because the pins were falling out and when I grind it off they will fall out again!!

As I was out in the garage sorting other things and had a camera handy, I took a few shots of the hinges in case anyone else wants to try to refurbish theirs. The hardest part may be driving the pins out, but they drop in from the top and you can see the splines just proud of the top; some also sit slightly recessed at the bottom, so at least you'll know which way to press them, and so won't waste half a day wondering why they won't budge when you're pressing the wrong end...

DSCF9790.jpg.1adecf336faaddb6757814b376e8dd76.jpg  DSCF9794.jpg.c80e19d51681ccd8fb5a66c1cfb2abff.jpg  DSCF9792.jpg.741287665907a549e9cd62be1cb21549.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PeteH said:

Hi

I don`t know if they are still available in those sizes. But it may be worth looking into "Roll" pins as an alternative/option?. I`ve used them before in a variety of circumstances?.

Pete

Roll pins are heat treated for a particular application   Door hinge pivot is not one of them.  Not a good move.

Roger

2 hours ago, RogerH said:

Roll pins are heat treated for a particular application   Door hinge pivot is not one of them.  Not a good move.

Roger

Despite that, I have come across them in "moderns". I am fairly sure my Fiat (Punto) of some years back used them?.

I would suggest they are rolled pins designed for a purpose. They may not be 'Roll' pins.  You need to analyse them and see what they are.

However liker all jobs you can do what you wish with your car.

Roger