Swopping Herald seats for MX ones.

PeteH

Hi. Whilst working on the PAS unit I decided to try the MX seats, I was Gifted by a serial MX owner. They look the business and I think I have a solution to the mountings.

However, When aligned with the Existing holes, the seat appears to be offset. As I did not remove the original seats I cannot 100% be sure that they too where not slightly offset.? Can anyone confirm.

Back in the 80`s we had a Vittesse, I am sure(ish) that the wheel/seat alignment had a slight offset, as did the Pedals?.

So, To re-cap, I was right?, The seats should be set square in the car. And the Wheel position and the Pedal boxes are then naturally offset to the Left and Right respectively?. Which is how I vaguely remember the Vitessse, from 30+ years ago. That will be a help, as it means the existing rear bolted mounts on the seats can be re-used once flattened out and extended rearwards, the front ones will need a bit of persuasion and some bracing I suspect. As it is anticipated that the original seat belt mountings on the car itself would be used not those actually fitted to the seats, as in the MX, therefore the seat bolting is not as critical.

Thanks

Pete

If it's a Herald you've got some very solid and permanent seat mountings on the floors, so they'll dictate where the seat goes, and you'll probably find with the wider MX5 seats you'll have very little room for sideways movement in any case. I know that with the GT6 the seat mountings moved on the floorpans over time, but the Herald was always the same.

Hi

Hopefully, I` have an idea that I may know one way or the other later today, But first I have to rescue the second seat form the Shed, and it`s raining!. Hopefully too the mice have not decided to nest there yet!. That would be "bummer" as they are a decent matched pair just needing a good clean up, and FREE.

Pete

Pete, pics of the installation in my car done by the PO. The hole pitch front to back is approx 400mm and the seat is mounted centrally ie the mods are symmetrically opposed. 

It looks like the original seat mounting channel has a new plate welded to it to use the standard seat fixing holes but you should be able to see the differences when comparing the Herald and MX seats. 

Hope this helps. 

Iain 

IMG_20201003_121659.jpg

IMG_20201003_121831.jpg

IMG_20201003_121753.jpg

45 minutes ago, classiclife said:

Hello Paul,

Good to see you are using the seat belt loop mod on top of the seat - saves chasing the belt !!

Regards.

Richard.

I did mod mine with a stud clip which will unclip for rear seat access . If you want a set let me know 

Paul 

Oops!

I typed a more detailed reply after the yes but somehow lost it 😒

I have them in my 13/60 and they work fine. A bit of a pain to initially set up though.

The most important point is to make sure you get a version where the reel is designed to be fitted in any direction.

I don't have the details to hand but I think they are Securon 500/30 

• Like 1

On 03/10/2020 at 21:05, Chris A said:

Oops!

I typed a more detailed reply after the yes but somehow lost it 😒

I have them in my 13/60 and they work fine. A bit of a pain to initially set up though.

The most important point is to make sure you get a version where the reel is designed to be fitted in any direction.

I don't have the details to hand but I think they are Securon 500/30 

The ones I have to hand, Are NOS Bought for the Sons Dolomite many moons ago. Still boxed never opened (until now). The Dolly was nicked and trashed on the Pirbright Ranges, before we could fit them. They are a securon set.

Pete