Are mineral and synthetic oils compatible

daverclasper

Hi Pete

Just realised that what I ordered was API - SL/CF Mineral, though what was delivered is API - SN/CH-4 Synthetic.

Produced in Germany by a company called Mannol.

If not suitable?, I should be able to get a refund, or exchange for the Mineral.

What do you think?.

Cheers, Dave 

Edited by daverclasper

The is a Lot of Discourse, mostly on US websites, with this concern. The general position appears to be that whilst overall no adverse effects are evident, the alleged "superior" qualities of using a full synthetic are lost!.

The only caveat I can find is that on Vehicles with Cat`s and DPF`s. Not using a modern oil can seriously shorten their life as they (non synthetics) will/could produce higher amounts of particulates and are harder to ensure proper "burn off".

So, in the circumstances outlined by the O-P, I doubt there will be any adverse effect?.

Useless Information time?. The study of Lubrication is called "Tribology" (Which I though was a reference to to the study of early social gathering among indigenous peoples?, But still!)

Pete

My next door neighbour has a Toyota  Kruger from new at around 3 years old the engine had to be rebuilt because she had it serviced by a friends small garage who had used synthetic reinforced when full synthetic was specified cheap service = expensive rebuild ($9k) my Jag service agent uses Penrite full synthetic

on the Triumphs I use Penrite Classic nice and thick doesn’t leak out as quick

1 hour ago, PeteH said:

Useless Information time?. The study of Lubrication is called "Tribology"

Indeed, as I learned a few years ago when my brother's company sold a couple of "PicoSphere" systems to a tribology firm for a Chinese customer doing "vacuum tribology". We still can only guess what application needed them to study lubrication in deep space.

On 15/11/2020 at 22:11, Peter Truman said:

My next door neighbour has a Toyota  Kruger from new at around 3 years old the engine had to be rebuilt because she had it serviced by a friends small garage who had used synthetic reinforced when full synthetic was specified cheap service = expensive rebuild ($9k) my Jag service agent uses Penrite full synthetic

on the Triumphs I use Penrite Classic nice and thick doesn’t leak out as quick

My VW Amarok uses Penrite 5-30 full syn enviro+ but I see Penrite now have an oil for use in it that is specced for when out of warranty
Penrite 5-30 full syn enviro+ eu. I have no idea what the difference is or could be.

Vitesse 6 is Penrited in the engine gearbox and diff.

Adrian