Spitfire 1500 rear spring. Choices

Thanks Clive. The problem with your first attempt was probably that the copy operation inserted a link to Google's server where it stored them for you to view in your email browser. That would be why you saw them fine - as you're logged in and permitted - while we got various disallowed conditions.

Must say those pics make my suspension look scabby. Guess the miles and abuse have taken their toll, but all still working very nicely.

Odd that I am running std height springs not, though nearly 3x stronger than std. I will see if I can tuck teh exhaust up a little higher and drop the suspension a little. Currently working on the bellhousing to relocate the starter, which should give a little extra space.

Comparing the chassis heights - mine seems to be about 3/4" higher than yours Clive. But about 1 1/4" higher at the wheel arch? The upper arm is level or slightly higher at the outside by the wheel compared to the inside - which I thought was about right?

And you suspension is perfect compared to mine. 🤪

1 hour ago, Anglefire said:

Comparing the chassis heights - mine seems to be about 3/4" higher than yours Clive. But about 1 1/4" higher at the wheel arch? The upper arm is level or slightly higher at the outside by the wheel compared to the inside - which I thought was about right?

And you suspension is perfect compared to mine. 🤪

sorry, but my arch height is at the rear. And different each side. (still investigating, it isn't caused by the front, and I have tried swapping the spring round. Current finger of suspician is teh diff mounting, being subaru, and if  the plate is a couple of mm out it would cause a big issue at the ends.

Car hanging in the air now, gearbox out for attention, so can't really take more measurements, unless there is something you would like?

No its all good Clive. The only thing that would be interesting is the height from the floor to the top of the strut - depending exactly where you measure it mine is 17 3/4" - underside of the spring plate by the where it joins the bracket. But given yours's is in the air it isn't important - unless someone else wants to play the game!

I'll measure the rear chassis height on mine for amusement but I know the rear is low!

Front will stay as it is for now - at least until the rear is sorted. The actual suspension looks ok - just high at the arch. 

1 hour ago, Anglefire said:

No its all good Clive. The only thing that would be interesting is the height from the floor to the top of the strut - depending exactly where you measure it mine is 17 3/4" - underside of the spring plate by the where it joins the bracket. But given yours's is in the air it isn't important - unless someone else wants to play the game!

I'll measure the rear chassis height on mine for amusement but I know the rear is low!

Front will stay as it is for now - at least until the rear is sorted. The actual suspension looks ok - just high at the arch. 

Just a thought, what size tyres are you using? 175/70 13? (mine are 185/40 14 but identical in "size" )

On 16/11/2020 at 19:39, rogerguzzi said:

Hello Mark

I bought one from these people about 2 years ago.

It sat a bit high at first but has settled now.

This how the car sits now with luggage and probably a full ish tank of petrol.(somewhere in Spain or Portugal!)

https://www.gbsprings.co.uk/heritage-car-springs/

DSC09970.JPG

I've tried to contact GBSprings 3 times now. Once via the website and twice by phone - the latter I was told they would get back to me.

I did say when I rang today that I didn't think they did the 1500 rear spring - the one in their list is for the MkIV and is listed as different to the 1500. But as said, still waiting for a reply.

Edited by Anglefire
grammer!

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve order a rear spring, lowering block studs etc from canley classic.  Never got a reply from the one you suggested Roger. 🤷‍♂️

phoned canley yesterday and spoke to a nice lady and she said their supplier is Sheffield - so British made and not from China or anywhere else. Which I like. Dearer than other places - but for some reason I do like their service and parts always seem decent quality  

she did say it would be harder than what’s fitted - hence the lowering block. 

will see how it goes.  

Probably from Owen Springs then.

What does she mean that it's harder than what's fitted, I wonder, especially since you haven't removed the old spring to see what it is? If she means that it's springier because it's new, that should be fine, but it should still be no harder than original. 

It should not require a lowering block as standard. Can you take a few photos of the spring when it arrives, before fitting? Also your old one when removed?

Hi Colin, all she meant was that the old spring was probably worn out - so softer and hence lower. I got the lowering block as a just in case really. Based on many peoples comments as being too high when new! I shall only fit it if I really have to!

The new spring arrived today - so typical efficiency from Canleys.

I'll take some pictures later or perhaps the weekend.

1 hour ago, yorkshire_spam said:

Mine didn't settle, so I ended up applying a lowering block. 

x2 for YS's comment. I ended up using a 1/2" lowering block on the same brand of spring even after a year of driving around with 75Kg of ballast tucked behind the seats.

Wayne

• Like 1