Triumph (and lesser makes) graveyard in France

JohnD

https://lesvoitures.fr/urbex-de-superbes-triumph-en-enfer/?fbclid=IwAR1_gaWzjuzzUEPl8FLq1yq9h6-ET_i1okbDABKpd30WDvQz38ez1L5zTtc

The website is in Freench, but if you are on Chrome click the translate button.    Other browsers may do similar.

I fear that these are lost forever, and even if they could be extracted, the bureaucratic nightmare of importing them back to the UK wiould be extreme!

JOhn

• JohnD changed the title to Triumph (and lesser makes) graveyard in France

Some of them don't look too terrible to be honest... I am sure a clean up would do wonders... I don't see them mention where this is in France and they say the owners are "unknown"....

Still a huge pity to be honest...

The translation makes it a far more interesting read than a lot of online articles. 

'The terms "abandoned" are not strong enough to describe this spectacle of desolation. Indeed, beyond being stored against each other, these Triumphs are far from being respected by their unknown owners.'

Perhaps I should start to be more flowery with my TSSC reports. :-) 

"Zut alors!", "mercredi" ou même "putain de gâchis"

A nice little Covid confinement project there, not sure how the 2CV got in.

In the few photos that do show number plates apart from those that aren't too damaged to read there is one that I am certain has been 'touched up' to hide the last part of the plate, which would have been the department number where the car was last registered.

Shame really, Notwithstanding any other consideration some of the trim and parts even are getting harder to source. I note the Trim corner pieces on the 13/60 bonnet are missing. for example?.

I could well be wrong, But I thought you could still purchase a vehicle without a test certificate. But not register it?. I know they brought my (2nd) R-V from France without a Valid test, either UK nor French?. The couple who owned it in france had been living in it during the restoration of a property. It went straight to the dealer from whom I bought it.

Pete

59 minutes ago, JohnD said:

Le Contrôle Technique en France, it applies to the vehicles from 1960, So few of the Heralds, maybe, but of the Spits or GT6s none will escape!

Hate to be pedantic . . .but . . . Only "vehicles de collection" benefit from the 1960 cut off, "normale" still need one every 2 years. Vehicles de collection newer than that require a CT every 5 years ( normal is 2 years).

The Spits, GT6s and I even spotted the back end of what I think was a Stag could be "collection".

a car can be classed a

9 hours ago, PeteH said:

One has to wonder what the chances of rescue would be as "scrap" Metal?. No idea how that would go under French law.

Pete

Do you mean buying them as scrap and exporting them to the UK? If so it would/could be more difficult now you are no longer in Europe.

The same would apply to shipping them as cars no doubt.

Indeed the "trade deal" from 23 Dec. sounded good at first but from what I can see there are a few fine print issues to deal with.

I could be wrong but based on what I am hearing from others is that the item must be "made in EU" or "Made in UK" in order to trade freely. Hornby for example of train set and Scalextric fame has stopped sending to the EU because the "made in China" on all their products doesn't seem to comply (my interpretation not fact...)

It still has to however go through a customs process which usually incurs cost and paperwork.

There are also some limits of 15GBP/22€, 100GBP/135€ and  over 500€ that I haven't got my head around yet...

Having said that, given that the items are used and were made in UK I would reckon with the correct paperwork you should be able to get them back on the island fairly easily...

DVD3500: You're correct. With the proviso about the value limits, I too haven't got my head around that yet. It is made even more confusing as my wife buys lots of embroidery stuff from a firm in Scotland so far not a single centime in taxes, although the orders are quite small as a rule and mostly European manufacture, or at least not declared as other than that.

The cars would count as UK manufacture I'm sure. The rules relate to the percentage of the value originating in the UK. This works for goods from the UK to the EU. The other way round ? Good question one would assume the agreement is the same but I can't swear to it, I've had no need to look it up.

So. considering that it`s very likely that 99.9% of a 1960`s Triumph, would have been made in the UK, In theory it should be considered as being  legit:?. Basically, all the goods are being returned to their country of origin?. Of course nothing is ever that simple!.

Pete