Insurance - commuting

Mike R

When I renewed my insurance with Footman James recently I was shocked to discover that Social Domestic and pleasure does not cover commuting to and from my normal place of work. I only realised this because they were trying to sell me this as an add on. It only cost £10 so it's now there.

A search of the Internet showed that this was now standard and had changed some time in the past. You have to have commuting specified otherwise it's not covered. Anyone else surprised or caught out by this?

Seems like the insurance industry have found another way of getting a few more quid out of us ...

So, don't get caught out - make sure you have the right cover and use your triumph to get you to work.

Lucky for some  :o !

I have a standard policy on my new(ish) car that allows some business use - god knows what some means ?!? Anyway I think Agree its just the Insurance companies trying to make more Money! I'm with Peter James myself, not only was it the cheapest  - It also includes commuting

I think we should have an annual survey of the best insurer on (and off) the Panel with categories like price and cover, A bit of a Club "Go-Compare" if you like with categories like Price and Cover - Maybe when everyone deserts Footman James  - they will have to think again..... PEOPLE POWER !!

Another Benefit for the Club to Offer ??

Aidan

It's a pretty common exclusion now. My wife is a stay at home Mum and we saved money by dropping to social / domestic / pleasure insurance cover on her car. My modern is SDP, plus commuting and Class 1 business usage - the latter allows me to drive it on work business during the working day.

My GT6 policy with Peter S Taylor is SDP only and I've no plans to commute in it!

Gully

You have to remember that FJ are owned by a large multi-national company with greedy shareholders to satisfy.

PJ isn't.

I added Class1 to my multivehicle policy with PJ at negligible extra cost so I can use one of the cars if my modern is being serviced, saves me hiring a car for the day.

Cheers

Colin

You have to remember that FJ are owned by a large multi-national company with greedy shareholders to satisfy.

PJ isn't.

Exactly. I am a committee member of another car club and we dropped FJ as our preferred insurer when many of our members complained of huge unjustified increases in their premiums and restrictions on use.

I'm with Peter James and my policy covers travel to & from a single place of work at no extra cost, but not actual business travel.

I have to say having renewed my classic policy a couple of weeks ago and receiving quotes from all of the TSSC panel, that Peter James was by far & away the best cover and for a price that was three figures lower than the others. Of course everyone's circumstances are different, but for a middle aged engineer living out in the sticks PJ is the way to go. They even covered my classics whilst they were being stored/worked on in my workshop 8 miles away from my house for no extra cost. I'm very impressed!

One thing that had changed this year though was that when the cars are kept at my home address they will not be covered for theft between the hours of 22:00 and 06:00 unless they are in a locked garage. That clause only related to one of my (higher value) classics before.