Sump plug leaking

Mick Foster

A very simple question. Can you use plumber's PTFE tape to seal the threads on a leaky engine sump plug? I just cannot seem to stop it dripping. I have tried a hex headed plug from Rimmers but it seems a bit sloppy in the thread and I worry that over tightening it will strip the threads. I have also tried a new square headed plug (traditional tapered thread type) but even with it really tight it still drips. It's not a big drip and is only a problem as it leaves a mess on the garage floor. If PTFE tape works then it will be an easy fix as I will be doing an oil change soon, I am just concerned that the tape is not oil resistant and will deteriorate leading to a bigger problem. BTW it's a Spitfire 1500. Many thanks.

is used for hydraulics so a bit of sump oil should be fine  

are you sure its not a crack in the brazed in   threaded insert 

list of ptfe compatibles 

Fluoramics Full Density PTFE Tape may be used with . . .

• Acids
  • Air
  • Alkalis
  • Bottled Gases
  • Chlorine
  • Corrosive Chemicals
  • Hydraulic Lines,<<<<<<<<<<
  • Hydrocarbons
  • Large Diameter Piping
  • Natural Gas
  • Oxygen
  • Potable Water
  • Propane
  • Refrigerants
  • Sewage
  • Solvents
  • Sprinkler Systems
  • Steam

Re ptfe tape we recently had the direct mains pressure hot water service replaced and the plumber used a ptfe thread ratherthan a tape this winds around the root of the thread so it doesn't get cut by the sharp edge of the threads or turn out when tightened also easier to put on, but seals as effectively. It would be good also on oil and temperature sender threads.

the old trick to source a leak is dry it and give the area a good puff of talc  or similar the leak will show the trace through the dusting 

and with little pressure in the sump a clean and a bead of silicon around the  collar  will work for a long time if its got a leak 

Pete

The other thing is that taper threads only seal when done up pretty tight. They basically rely on the threads being mashed together which is why the square drive can easily get damaged and its essential to use a tool that positively locates and gives plenty of torque. I use a thick jaw, good quality 12" adjustable and pull it up as much as I comfortably can.

51 minutes ago, johny said:

taper threads only seal when done up pretty tight

Well... yes and no. It's not really any tighter than a copper washer needs, but certainly more than finger tight. They do, however, rely on both threads being in good condition and not pitted or distorted.

1 hour ago, johny said:

The other thing is that taper threads only seal when done up pretty tight.

The sump plug thread is ⅜ Dryseal, according to my WSM, this is NPTF which was designed to seal dry, F stands for fuel, were as NPT which has same diameter and thread pitch in some sizes will not. I made this mistake when installing a drain plug in my diff. a few turns of Loctite55 sorted it out.

Regards

Paul

I got told off for mentioning I used ptfe tape on another Triumph forum.
Doesnt stop me using it, I always use it on aluminium washers on sump plugs on bikes and cars.

I just keep it near the head of the plug so it seals at the outside of the hole only.

Loctite do a gas/liquid seal product for threads but I have never used it on a sumpplug

Adrian

5 hours ago, NonMember said:

Well... yes and no. It's not really any tighter than a copper washer needs, but certainly more than finger tight. They do, however, rely on both threads being in good condition and not pitted or distorted.

As a guide the manual says apply 10kg to the end of a 12" adjustable....

there is nothing on a triumph that needs a gorilla   and torque wrench figures are there to aid control of fixings when you only have a gorilla handy 

most spanners are of the length that gives you control with a steady one handed pull using the same effort over multiple fixings 

and you can be surprisingly accurate 

Pete

I’ve never really been afraid to use PTFE when needed on any sort of thread except where electrical continuity is necessary. Back in the day we used “boss” white and hemp on hot water and low pressure steam too.