Rimmer Bros

Paul Amey

yes of course its easy to stock and have fast turn over of the common items but if youre also going to source and supply many other bits that sit around for ages you have to increase the price of everything to keep pricing proportional plus cover the costs. However if your buying one of the common items that extra can hurt....

Just to put things to test I've just analysed a part of my 'possible' purchase list of bits. 8 items.

Rimmers : All available, dearest for 3, cheapest for 2, 1 where they are the only stockist

Paddock: 2 dearest, 2 cheapest, 2 not available

Canley : 1 dearest, 2 cheapest, 2 not available

Then there is the delivery cost which can tip the balance.

So, yes Rimmers list prices are generally higher but they are a '1 stop shop', in this example.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chris A said:

they are a '1 stop shop', in this example.

They can be; I find them expensive but professional in that you order parts, they're in stock and delivered reasonably quickly. Quality can sometimes vary. Canleys are often slightly cheaper but no nonsense and the goods get delivered ok. I don't like the design of Rimmers website, Canley's is much easier to follow, but many times I'll identify the part number on Canleys then go to Rimmers for the actual photo. Sadly, after that I usually source the part elsewhere more cheaply.

I find Paddocks much cheaper and with faster delivery, I also deal with a number of regular online sellers who have NOS items or similar quality to the bigger suppliers but are a fraction of the cost. There's something to be said for loyalty to those who stock parts for our cars, but there's a lot to be said for the same item, same quality and same manufacturer, at a cheaper price.

Chris,

Well that's fortunate for your list of bits, but Rimmers don't fair so well with my list of bits.

Late GT6 mk3 has 7/8" dia self adjusting rear brake cylinders. I replaced mine 7 years ago, Rimmers didn't stock them, they still don't, not even a repair kit. I got mine from Paddocks and they still stock them. 

I won't bore on with several other late mk3 sorry don't stock its.

Rimmers have a lot of stuff for popular models and they expect a high turn over of stock, but if your car's one of not many they don't want to have the stock hanging around. 

Doug

and of course  for many stock parts   they all buy from each other 

so you can find the most expensive have been  sourced   from the  cheaper  its the way it all works 

all have to have a significant mark up  but depends on the supply some more than others 

do your homework on all suppliers you have regard and trust based on you own experiences 

but always search dont  stop at the first hurdle  get a good leap of faith and look around 

if you use the market place check reviews and sales ask around 

there plenty of low quality junk up for the must have sales 

Pete

52 minutes ago, Paul Amey said:

I have now registered an account with James Paddock, thanks for the tip.

I don't think I actually have an account with them but with the amount they've had off me over lockdown I should be a shareholder. I've another order of Herald bits to place in the morning.

Only used Paddock`s the once. Because my Grandson,who only lives a few mile away was coming to us for the weekend, I got him to collect my order saving Postage. Beyond that most of what I get comes via Canley`s or occasionally Rimmers, Rimmers, more usually if I have to travel to foreign parts (Lincolnshire) As I have to cross the Blunder bridge anyway it`s usually worth the detour. For those with any interest in WW2. the Bomber Comand Centre is only a mile or two from their premises. Mind with an old shipmate living nearby, it often becomes a quite expensive day, The Lunches in his local are very good.

Pete

I have used  Rimmers  for many years for Triumph and also Land-Rover bits.

Their ( paper) catalogues  with large line drawings are brilliant.

Over more than two decades  I have only ever had  two minor problems with them:

- A stainless exhaust system for a Discovery that was just quite impossible to fit,  and a Spitfire rear spring which was nothing like the one it was supposed to replace.

In fairness, in both these instances, rejecting the items  was very straightforward.There were no quibbles regarding returning the goods and there was an immediate full refund.The process was very amicable.

Paddocks  and Canleys tend to be slightly cheaper and their  websites I find easier  to negotiate than Rimmers’ Their  despatch times  are both fast.

Over a good few years, I have  called in to Paddocks’ now and again, (when visiting relatives in Chester)

These encounters have all been pleasant and  the staff have been very helpful.

Paddocks also  seem to have a very rapid despatch and delivery system.

I have found that my main reason to, “Shop-around” the well-known suppliers  is often more to do with availability, ie  who has the item in stock.

The “main” suppliers will not disappoint you.